PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass gelcoat

Valkrider
11-22-2016, 01:48 PM
I hope I'm in the right forum for asking a fiberglass question. I've read through a bit here and didn't find a lot. I have a motorcycle sidecar I'm trying to bring back to a glossy finish. It was really dirty when I picked it up and I washed it and used clay bar to remove the gross contaminants. At a few places on the body there is this and I don't know what caused it or if it's possible or advisable to try and sand/buff it out. I don't want to go through the gelcoat. You will need to zoom in to see the small circles in the finish which are quite rough. 53690 Any suggestions on what caused this and how to deal with it? Thanks

GSKR
11-22-2016, 04:09 PM
I'm gonna take a shot at this,looks like major pig tails or sanding scratches.I can't blow up the pic.

Mike Phillips
11-22-2016, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna take a shot at this,looks like major pig tails or sanding scratches.

I can't blow up the pic.

I agree but it is hard to tell.

Through the magic of knowledge... here's the full size image

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/attachments/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/53691d1479766839-fiberglass-gelcoat-image.jpg

Looks like pig tails from machine sanding with a dual action sander or dual action polisher used to sand.

Could be something has beaten against it like a plastic tarp in a wind storm?

:)

Mike Phillips
11-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Regardless of the cause, if this is in fact a gel-coat finish, gel-coats tend to be thick - at least thicker than car paint.

Two ways to fix it.

Step 1: Re-sand using high quality sanding or better yet finishing papers. Try Meguiar's Unigrit #2500

Step 2: Compound - Use a high quality compound to remove your sanding marks

Step 3: Polish - Polish to maximize gloss and clarity.

Step 4: Seal - Seal the surface with one of three options on the market today,

Car Wax
Synthetic Paint Sealant
Paint Coating

(You only have to use one)

Or skip the sanding and try to remove with just a compound then follow the other steps.

Now how about a picture of the bike and the sidecar?

:)

Valkrider
11-23-2016, 12:26 PM

Now how about a picture of the bike and the sidecar?

Certainly. Not attached yet but a picture of the hack and the proposed Valkyrie tug though I may get a somewhat smaller bike to mount it to.