PDA

View Full Version : Tips to keep my car clean?

xzar
11-22-2016, 02:11 AM
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I am relatively new to the world of detailing. After two years of having my first car and after a lot of research (thanks to these posts), I realised that I was doing the things wrong for mantaining my car's paint in excelent conditions. At the beginning I used to wash my car once a week or two, with a hose and a power washer, using a wash mitt from Meguiar's and the Gold Class Shampoo from the same brand. The second method I used was some kind of "2 bucket method" without grid guard and only one wash mitt and a waffle wave cloth for drying. Weeks ago, I decided to switch to rinseless wash with the Garry Dean's method, because I had read good reviews about it and I think I can help the planet by saving water, and help me with the mess of using the other methods :laughing:.

For the rinseless wash method I use:
- Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (I presoak panels with the wash dilution ratio)
- Meguiar's X-Press Spray Wax D15601
- Microfiber towels for wash (cheap chinese ones from autozone - I recently ordered ones from Chemical Guys and Mothers and they are arriving soon)
- Microfiber form Meguiar's (for spray wax after drying)
- Waffle towel from Meguiar's (for drying)

I did my first rinseless wash yesterday afternoon, and I was happy with the results (At this moment am not concerned about swirls and micro scrathes because I am going to take my car for paint correction when the rainy season ends), but today at the morning when I saw my car, I felt very frustrated, because my car was covered with dust, debris, tree sap, cat's and/or dog's hair, etc.

My car is parked in a demi-garage (I could say, it is parked outside). I have a garden near from my car with a variety of plants/trees and when the wind blows, my car gets covered with the plant debris, dirty from the street and other things from the air. When it rains, it becomes a total mess :(

I want to know from your expecience and expertise, which is the safest way to keep clean and wash my car without instilling swirls and marring my car's paint? and how often should I do this maintenance?. I know that I cant change the things from my environment (wind, dust, plant/tree debris, etc), but I am looking for better ways to keep my car's exterior in optimal conditions (now I know I am and autogeek because I am bit perfectionist :p).

Thank you

Mike Phillips
11-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi xzar,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Sounds like you have the detailing bug and have it hard!

As to your question, due to the environment your car is exposed to and what I read to be your hope and expectation for a clean car, I would recommend becoming an EXPERT at using a Waterless Wash.

The SECRET to using a Waterless Wash is using a lot of towels. In fact you should build a collection of about 12 high quality microfiber towels that you ONLY use for waterless washing. When done with them, wash them together, dry them together and then store them together. This will keep them clean. Also use a dedicated microfiber cleaner to wash them, this will maintain their softness and performance.

The SECRET to keeping a car clean all the time is to clean the car often. In your case, every morning or as often as you can. If you want your car clean all the time and it's parked outside (under a cover but still outside), then you really want to wipe it down with a waterless wash every morning especially if there is DEW that has formed on the car over night as the dew will have softened any dirt build up.

Here's an article on how to use a Waterless Wash

Waterless Car Wash - How to safely clean you car without a hose & bucket (http://christmas%20detail%20-%201955%20ford%20crown%20victoria%20with%20black%2 0label%20surface%20coating/)

Tip: Have plenty of clean, dry plus microfiber towels on hand...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2207/Pinnacle_Waterless_Wash_002.jpg

I prefer a Waterless Wash method over a Rinseless Wash but that' just me. Nick, my colleague here at work prefers a Rinseless Wash. So it comes down to preference plus technique.

Here's an article on using a Rinseless Wash

Review and How-To: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96297-review-how-wolfgang-uber-rinseless-wash.html)

In the above article I show a wash mitt mostly because it was new at the time but when I use a rinseless wash I prefer to dunk about 12 microfiber towels into the bucket of rinseless wash and switch to a clean towel often as I work around the car.

Hope the above helps and again... welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:dblthumb2:

axel06
11-22-2016, 11:10 AM
And a cleaner wax every weekend 4 the win!!!

Opti
11-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Just rinseless wash the car every week and top it with a spray wax every now and then to boost protection and you should be fine.

xzar
11-22-2016, 01:19 PM
Hi xzar,

Since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Sounds like you have the detailing bug and have it hard!

As to your question, due to the environment your car is exposed to and what I read to be your hope and expectation for a clean car, I would recommend becoming an EXPERT at using a Waterless Wash.

The SECRET to using a Waterless Wash is using a lot of towels. In fact you should build a collection of about 12 high quality microfiber towels that you ONLY use for waterless washing. When done with them, wash them together, dry them together and then store them together. This will keep them clean. Also use a dedicated microfiber cleaner to wash them, this will maintain their softness and performance.

The SECRET to keeping a car clean all the time is to clean the car often. In your case, every morning or as often as you can. If you want your car clean all the time and it's parked outside (under a cover but still outside), then you really want to wipe it down with a waterless wash every morning especially if there is DEW that has formed on the car over night as the dew will have softened any dirt build up.

Here's an article on how to use a Waterless Wash

Waterless Car Wash - How to safely clean you car without a hose & bucket (http://christmas%20detail%20-%201955%20ford%20crown%20victoria%20with%20black%2 0label%20surface%20coating/)

Tip: Have plenty of clean, dry plus microfiber towels on hand...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2207/Pinnacle_Waterless_Wash_002.jpg

I prefer a Waterless Wash method over a Rinseless Wash but that' just me. Nick, my colleague here at work prefers a Rinseless Wash. So it comes down to preference plus technique.

Here's an article on using a Rinseless Wash

Review and How-To: Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/96297-review-how-wolfgang-uber-rinseless-wash.html)

In the above article I show a wash mitt mostly because it was new at the time but when I use a rinseless wash I prefer to dunk about 12 microfiber towels into the bucket of rinseless wash and switch to a clean towel often as I work around the car.

Hope the above helps and again... welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Hi Mike,

It's great to hear from you, thanks for your valuable answer.

I have a couple more questions: In terms of cost/benefit, which is the best method to keep my car washed with good looking conditions, for now where I am not too concerned about swirls, and after I take my car for buffing?

Which technique do you recommend me for washing my car on that "hostile" environment? I watched your posts and videos and everything seems to wonderful, because all your demos are in a garage (I'd love to have one but I don't have yet :( ), but in my case, when I wash/maintain my car, It's very common that the wind blows while I am still washing / drying / waxing, resulting with my car covered with some dirt / tree sap from the street.

I planned to use a hose and my power washer every 2 weeks or when the car gets very soiled or after driving in the rain.

Here in Mexico City, there aren't many options of products for waterless wash, some are National made (cheap but not sure about their quality), and the others you promote form remarkable brands like Pinnacle's, Meg's, Wolfgang's, etc., they are very scarce and difficult to get, that is why they are very expensive.

So I decided to buy a gallon of ONR because Amazon Mexico began to sell those products, and I thought It was a good alternative for a reasonable price, but the waterless products are still expensive (some costs hundreds of bucks, I don't know why...)

Thanks in advance,

Eldorado2k
11-22-2016, 03:10 PM
I prefer a Waterless Wash method over a Rinseless Wash but that' just me.

Same here. I've only had the Wolfgang Uber for a week now and I've just about gone through my 1st gallon of diluted waterless wash solution. Just like you said, use it often and it's easy breezy + takes just a few minutes to do. Love waterless wash.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/4fc33b27434f8d179d40c6c77c7d499c.jpg

Here in Mexico City, there aren't many options of products for waterless wash, some are National made (cheap but not sure about their quality), and the others you promote form remarkable brands like Pinnacle's, Meg's, Wolfgang's, etc., they are very scarce and difficult to get, that is why they are very expensive.

So I decided to buy a gallon of ONR because Amazon Mexico began to sell those products, and I thought It was a good alternative for a reasonable price, but the waterless products are still expensive (some costs hundreds of bucks, I don't know why...)

Thanks in advance,

The ONR Rinseless Wash Concentrate should work great for you. Just follow Mikes advice and make a bucket of rinseless wash solution and put 12-15 clean microfiber towels in it and keep all the towels in that bucket clean. Rinseless washing can also be done rather quikly if done often [every other day, even less time if done daily] Put a lid on the bucket and your towels will stay clean at all times. Good luck, this way will make things easier for you.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/d493e8bd1f61686aada5f9fbb4397b7c.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161122/35b539e0b4f9d62b5b451faed72b8817.jpg

Quik shout to GD.

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Phillips
11-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Hi Mike,

It's great to hear from you, thanks for your valuable answer.

I have a couple more questions: In terms of cost/benefit, which is the best method to keep my car washed with good looking conditions, for now where I am not too concerned about swirls, and after I take my car for buffing?

Which technique do you recommend me for washing my car on that "hostile" environment? I watched your posts and videos and everything seems to wonderful, because all your demos are in a garage (I'd love to have one but I don't have yet :( ), but in my case, when I wash/maintain my car, It's very common that the wind blows while I am still washing / drying / waxing, resulting with my car covered with some dirt / tree sap from the street.

I planned to use a hose and my power washer every 2 weeks or when the car gets very soiled or after driving in the rain.

Well if you're not going to drag out the water hose and/or water hose and power washer then the next best option would be the rinseless wash option.

Read a few articles on it, watch some videos and then practice till you dial in your

Perfect Technique

:)

xzar
12-19-2016, 03:04 PM
Well if you're not going to drag out the water hose and/or water hose and power washer then the next best option would be the rinseless wash option.

Read a few articles on it, watch some videos and then practice till you dial in your

Perfect Technique

:)

Hi Mike!

I had read some of your articles and watched videos of how to do waterless washes, so I put all that knowledge on practice, and all that I can say is: you are a genius!!. I will show you a picture of my car after been practising for weeks, and I am impressed with the results!. I am doing a rinseless wash per weekend with ONR and I am doing one or two waterless washes between rinseless.

I had read that is better to achieve at least 12 MF for a small wash load, because less is a waste of water and/or washing product (I think so), but as you can see in the picture, my car is not as large as the average ones, and I can use at most 4 to 5 MF using the right technique. And the question is: How do I store those dirty MFs before I reach qtty of 12 for a small wash load? I don't want my towels to be ruined If y let em dry with the dirty/soil after washing my car and I want them to be in their best performance.

Thanks again!

jxr
12-19-2016, 04:37 PM
SPA: Compra el set de Costco; 36 toallas de buena calidad. Yo las dejo remojar en una cubeta con un poco de jabón de ropa (sin suavizante) con agua en lo que junto las suficientes toallas sucias para justificar la lavadora.

ENG: Buy the Costco set; 36 MF towels of good quality. I let them soak in a bucket with some soap (no softener) and water while I get enough dirty towels to justify the washing machine.

xzar
12-19-2016, 04:59 PM
SPA: Compra el set de Costco; 36 toallas de buena calidad. Yo las dejo remojar en una cubeta con un poco de jabón de ropa (sin suavizante) con agua en lo que junto las suficientes toallas sucias para justificar la lavadora.

ENG: Buy the Costco set; 36 MF towels of good quality. I let them soak in a bucket with some soap (no softener) and water while I get enough dirty towels to justify the washing machine.

Muchas dracias por la recomendación, voy a realizar la prueba con el detergente liquido y mantendré las toallas sumergidas en la solución.

kesmit
12-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Hi xzar,

This is the key. I don't do it every day, but a few times a week. Keeping a car clean is way easier than trying to get a trashed out car cleaned up.