PDA

View Full Version : Is this paint fleck going to be a problem?

prr
11-19-2016, 11:00 AM
I got my car repainted a year ago. It has a five year warranty, not sure exactly what is covered. But I'd like to know if I can expect a problem, with a little bit of paint that looks like it is tearing away from the windshield washer spray nozzle. Just to let you know what normal is, the last attachment(4117) is the other one, with normal paint.

Basically, my question is--what can I do to keep this from tearing away even more? Is there some putty that I should put down, below the tear? I don't imagine that sanding it down would help. Anything else? I have to say that after a year, this paint job is really looking good. Since I got it repainted, I have washed it almost every week, and waxed it whenever I saw the beading fade (although at this point, I'm not sure that beading is a good indicator of a wax layer). But it has been waxed regularly. So I'm not worried about the quality of the paint job, per se--its just this one particular area that concerns me.

Setec Astronomy
11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
I'm guessing this was not a very expensive paint job if they didn't take out the washer nozzles before painting...heck, some DETAILERS take them off just to polish. Looks to me like they taped it off (poorly) and painted up the side of it and now it's peeling off...I don't see any exposed primer or metal so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

prr
11-19-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing this was not a very expensive paint job if they didn't take out the washer nozzles before painting...heck, some DETAILERS take them off just to polish. Looks to me like they taped it off (poorly) and painted up the side of it and now it's peeling off...I don't see any exposed primer or metal so I wouldn't worry about it too much right now.

In which case, my main concern should be simply not to agitate that area? You wouldn't recommend my placing a small amount of paint down there?

You are correct, it was not a very expensive paint job. It was about half of what a local body shop wanted, although what I eventually paid was about what the car was worth KBB, IIRC, so I just didn't want to go any higher.

Setec Astronomy
11-19-2016, 11:17 AM
It looks like the previous layer of paint is underneath, and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. If you wanted to do it right, I would take off the nozzle, smooth it out under there, apply touchup if applicable, let dry, then put the nozzle back. I'm not clear what you're trying to seal/protect by putting more paint down in that bubbled area. But you're looking at it in person and I'm not.

Oh, PS The way to get a better job with cheap paint jobs is to take off some/all of the emblems and trim yourself that they are going to paint over (or mask poorly). People would think that cheap paint jobs use cheap paint, but really the reason they are cheap is they don't do all the time consuming prep like removing everything or masking it well.

prr
11-19-2016, 11:20 AM
If you don't feel that it is necessary, then I won't bother (that's why I'm posting here). If there is already paint there, then I'm fine with that. Earlier, when you mentioned "exposed primer" I misunderstood and thought you were saying there WAS exposed primer or metal. I reread it and see that you are saying that it is covered, so I'm ok with that.

At this point, I'm just thinking out loud and wondering if I can keep it from peeling.

ronkh57
11-19-2016, 11:24 AM
It will continue to get worse.

Water, etc will get under it and the paint will chip off further & further.

prr
11-19-2016, 11:28 AM
It will continue to get worse.

Water, etc will get under it and the paint will chip off further & further.

OK, anything I can do to prevent or lessen this?

ronkh57
11-19-2016, 11:44 AM
OK, anything I can do to prevent or lessen this?

honestly, no. it needs to be removed & repainted

prr
11-19-2016, 11:46 AM
honestly, no. it needs to be removed & repainted

At least the hood would be easier (and cheaper) to repaint, than the entire vehicle was. OK I'll keep it as is, careful not to agitate it, and see how long I can get away with it as it is.