PDA

View Full Version : FLEX XC3401 vs any of the new long stroke polishers???

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fightnews
11-19-2016, 08:38 AM
if im going to spend the money on a high end polisher should i get the old flex that everyone seems to love or one of the new rupes or griots long throw machines? what do you guys think?

Mike@ShineStruck
11-19-2016, 08:44 AM
Let's see
Pros to 3401
Quicker corrections over area that contour/convex

Cons
It sometimes works you
Personally fatigues my hands quickly

Long throw pros
Smooth
Easy to manage
Just use weight of machine
Finishes better

Cons
Can stall at certain body curves.. either have to relevel machine, turn up speed or do massage technique.
Less effort all around

Overall correction speed for both seems about the same to me

Valky
11-19-2016, 09:57 AM
For me after I learn the correct method to use long throw, I never use my Flex 3401 anymore. If there are any heavy defect that need more correction power, I will have my Rotary in place and finish it with long throw.

Justin at Final Inspection
11-19-2016, 10:17 AM
My 3401 only comes out now for a couple reasons.

1. To run my Nanoskin 6in speedy prep pad

2. To do quick AIO jobs with HD Speed or similar.

Like stated above. For long hours of correction it just beats me up too much now. My BOSS G21 takes care of most jobs. Then I have my flex PE8 for tight intricate areas.

fightnews
11-19-2016, 10:23 AM
thenks guys, so if i buy a long throw machine its important to learn the new technique as its different then a traditional dual action?

going to work on the car now and have a few brews ill check back in later!

Ebg18t
11-19-2016, 10:41 AM
I think both are needed. The long throw machines on curves and tighter areas are not as useful as a traditional DA.

Audios S6
11-19-2016, 10:54 AM
With the 3401 you can expect a workout, but you can get into almost any spot on the car. You also have a variety of pad sizes you can use.

With the long throws, you will have hardly any effort. You can run a 5" backing plate on a 21mm, but it's not recommended by rupes. I've tried a smaller backing plate on a 15mm and it was like a jackhammer.

I feel like, if you own a 15mm or 21mm polisher, you do need a second machine. A 3401 can be used nearly exclusively.

TTQ B4U
11-19-2016, 12:05 PM
I love my 3401. Going back to a non-forced rotation is not something I can do anymore. Rarely are the cars I work on flat and without curves. The 3401 powers through anything in less time. Love it.

Harry Da Hamster
11-19-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm quite the opposite to some of the other experiences. The Flex 3401 is very smooth for an orbital (albeit forced rotation orbital) and it does not fatigue my hands. Compare it with a GG6, Porter Cable XP7424 or any one of the rinky dink machines, and you'll notice a tremendous different in vibration. That said, the Flex 3401 exposes bad technique and will fight you if the pad is not flat. But to confirm what the others have said, the Rupes Bigfoot is smoothest orbital. I owned the Rupes Bigfoot 15ES and i sold that in a couple months because it 1) was only slightly smoother (meaning not a big enough difference for me to consider it a significant advantage over the Flex), 2) stalled like crazy on concave panels, 3) the Flex 3401 can deal with small edges with little pad contact, 4) and not wanting to deal with switching machines my Rupes 15ES just didn't see any use. I've owned pretty much all the major polishers on the market and i recommend the Flex 3401. Currently in my personal arsenal are the Flex 3401 orbital, Flex PE14 rotary, Harbor Freight DA for carpet duty, and Rupes Nano Long Neck.

fightnews
11-19-2016, 02:23 PM
With the 3401 you can expect a workout, but you can get into almost any spot on the car. You also have a variety of pad sizes you can use.

With the long throws, you will have hardly any effort. You can run a 5" backing plate on a 21mm, but it's not recommended by rupes. I've tried a smaller backing plate on a 15mm and it was like a jackhammer.

I feel like, if you own a 15mm or 21mm polisher, you do need a second machine. A 3401 can be used nearly exclusively.
nice thanks i don't mind a workout im a big strong guy lol plus im just working on my car. as far as this thread goes im not really understanding what the long throw machines are for? is it mainly just to make it easier if you're using it eight hours a day?

I'm quite the opposite to some of the other experiences. The Flex 3401 is very smooth for an orbital (albeit forced rotation orbital) and it does not fatigue my hands. Compare it with a GG6, Porter Cable XP7424 or any one of the rinky dink machines, and you'll notice a tremendous different in vibration. That said, the Flex 3401 exposes bad technique and will fight you if the pad is not flat. But to confirm what the others have said, the Rupes Bigfoot is smoothest orbital. I owned the Rupes Bigfoot 15ES and i sold that in a couple months because it 1) was only slightly smoother (meaning not a big enough difference for me to consider it a significant advantage over the Flex), 2) stalled like crazy on concave panels, 3) the Flex 3401 can deal with small edges with little pad contact, 4) and not wanting to deal with switching machines my Rupes 15ES just didn't see any use. I've owned pretty much all the major polishers on the market and i recommend the Flex 3401. Currently in my personal arsenal are the Flex 3401 orbital, Flex PE14 rotary, Harbor Freight DA for carpet duty, and Rupes Nano Long Neck.
thanks for the input im reading that the flex is a better all around machine just going by this thread?

fightnews
11-19-2016, 02:27 PM

what do you use for product when you do carpets? i just did mine by hand and they are taking a beating, i have a harbor freight i just dont know how to use it for carpets? got any tips?

Harry Da Hamster
11-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Another reason i would recommend the Flex 3401 is because you plan to get one high end polisher. If you only have one polisher, the Rupes Bigfoot will not be able to handle ALL duties. The Flex 3401 is the perfect machine to handle all duties if you can only choose ONE.

Harry Da Hamster
11-19-2016, 02:29 PM
what do you use for product when you do carpets? i just did mine by hand and they are taking a beating, i have a harbor freight i just dont know how to use it for carpets? got any tips?

You can get a super cheap Harbor Freight DA for less than $60 shipped (if i remember correctly, with a coupon code), get a cheap orbital brush attachment, and go to town on your carpets.

coles_paint_correction
11-19-2016, 03:22 PM
I think if i knew what i know now, i probably would've got a flex 3401 instead of the rupes or griots.
That being said because most cars have curves/edges and it's just time consuming sitting there trying to get the long throws to spin right
flex 3401 would be a perfect choice for only one if you could only get one.
All in all though it's best to have a variety of machines. My current setup is boss g21, flex 3401, griots 6 converted to a 3.5 setup.

DaveT435
11-19-2016, 03:42 PM
If you are currently using a traditional DA, especially if it's a PC you won't have any problem going to a long throw. You already know how to keep the pad spinning on curved panels. There will be a learning curve going with the 3401, and even then it will work you more. Don't get me wrong it's a great machine...it's a beast. Personally I'm going to end up selling mine because with my back problems it shortens the amount of time I can work without taking a 2-24 hour break. My philosophy is that if your doing this for pleasure or a hobby why would you want to make it harder and more tiring? The long throws are so much smoother and using Rupes or Griot's cutting pads and matching compounds you can eliminate defects pretty quickly and almost effortlessly.

If you go Rupes I would spend the extra and get the Mark II