PDA

View Full Version : Should I Use ultimate polish vs paint cleaner every 3months prior to a new sealant???

Pages : [1] 2

jeffreyp
11-19-2016, 05:20 AM
HELLO from INDONESIA..http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/props.gif

This is my 1st post in this forum..
Before this basically the detailing skills that I have was non existant..
I read and learnt so so much from this forum, although its all still pretty the basics stuff.
Special Thanks to Mr. Mike Phillips, with all your do-able and logical theory..that make me love detailing world and make me love my car even more.

To Mr. Mike Phillips, to all detailing enthusiast and experts, I need some insights here..
I've read some posts on this issue, but I cant find the answer I need.

My situation currently:
I have "gloss enchancing P21S paint cleanser" and "Meguiars Ultimate Polish."
My plan is to wax/seal about every 3 months or so.
My car is a 2015 black Honda CRV if that helps, and I'm sure this car's paint is categorize as typical Japanese soft paint, definitely definitely not a hard paint.
I currently only wish to apply by hand with standard foam applicator pads.
I have no rotary/DA skills at all.

So the main topic:
I've read some opinions, many indicating that: if you're going to go through the trouble of applying something before a wax/sealant to cleanse the paint, why not use a fine or ultra fine cut polish as it will also correct very minor defects+cleanse the paint..I definitely can understand their point.

My concern:
1. Wouldn't something essentially zero abrasive such as P21s paint cleanser be ideal? My car's paint current state have only minor minor defects. Any Thoughts on this matter?

2. If I'm using ultimate polish+yellow foam applicator pad + work by hand, can I cause marring or hazing or light swirl into my soft CRV black paint?
Because I dont want to make new defects into my car's paint, but I also understand that ultimate polish contain abrasives..I also note that ultimate polish contain polishing oils.

3. If I choose to use ultimate polish and finally Ultimate wax/NXT...prior to ultimate polish should I use P21S paint cleanser or any paint cleaner, just to strip all the previous waxes/sealants???
or does ultimate polish can also perform well on this "LSP stripping" task?

4. Can i use ultimate polish as a dedicated paint cleaner that can function well to "strip all the wax/sealant" while simultaneously "expecting the rich polishing oil to nourish the paint", but at the same time "not causing a new haze /light scratch/light swirl to the black paint."

Long story short my ultimate goal is this:
*I'm not expecting to correct paint at all, therefore I'm not hoping to create a new defect too in this process.
*I just want to strip all the old layer of wax/sealant before applying a new coat of wax/sealant, but I also want to nourish my paint with polishing oil prior to applying my favourite LSP such as Klasse sealant, Meguiar Ultimate or NXT, etc.

I hope all the friendly experienced guys here, also especially the "Rockstar" Mr. Mike Phillips himself can help to clarify me on this matter..

Thank You All For Your Kind attention

Best Regards

fightnews
11-19-2016, 10:18 AM
HELLO from INDONESIA..http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/props.gif

This is my 1st post in this forum..
Before this basically the detailing skills that I have was non existant..
I read and learnt so so much from this forum, although its all still pretty the basics stuff.
Special Thanks to Mr. Mike Phillips, with all your do-able and logical theory..that make me love detailing world and make me love my car even more.

To Mr. Mike Phillips, to all detailing enthusiast and experts, I need some insights here..
I've read some posts on this issue, but I cant find the answer I need.

My situation currently:
I have "gloss enchancing P21S paint cleanser" and "Meguiars Ultimate Polish."
My plan is to wax/seal about every 3 months or so.
My car is a 2015 black Honda CRV if that helps, and I'm sure this car's paint is categorize as typical Japanese soft paint, definitely definitely not a hard paint.
I currently only wish to apply by hand with standard foam applicator pads.
I have no rotary/DA skills at all.

So the main topic:
I've read some opinions, many indicating that: if you're going to go through the trouble of applying something before a wax/sealant to cleanse the paint, why not use a fine or ultra fine cut polish as it will also correct very minor defects+cleanse the paint..I definitely can understand their point.

My concern:
1. Wouldn't something essentially zero abrasive such as P21s paint cleanser be ideal? My car's paint current state have only minor minor defects. Any Thoughts on this matter?

2. If I'm using ultimate polish+yellow foam applicator pad + work by hand, can I cause marring or hazing or light swirl into my soft CRV black paint?
Because I dont want to make new defects into my car's paint, but I also understand that ultimate polish contain abrasives..I also note that ultimate polish contain polishing oils.

3. If I choose to use ultimate polish and finally Ultimate wax/NXT...prior to ultimate polish should I use P21S paint cleanser or any paint cleaner, just to strip all the previous waxes/sealants???
or does ultimate polish can also perform well on this "LSP stripping" task?

4. Can i use ultimate polish as a dedicated paint cleaner that can function well to "strip all the wax/sealant" while simultaneously "expecting the rich polishing oil to nourish the paint", but at the same time "not causing a new haze /light scratch/light swirl to the black paint."

Long story short my ultimate goal is this:
*I'm not expecting to correct paint at all, therefore I'm not hoping to create a new defect too in this process.
*I just want to strip all the old layer of wax/sealant before applying a new coat of wax/sealant, but I also want to nourish my paint with polishing oil prior to applying my favourite LSP such as Klasse sealant, Meguiar Ultimate or NXT, etc.

I hope all the friendly experienced guys here, also especially the "Rockstar" Mr. Mike Phillips himself can help to clarify me on this matter..

Thank You All For Your Kind attention

Best Regards

well i just ordered the griots garage paint prep. seems like this would be perfect for you its a spray on pre wax cleaner. also i think that using ultimate polish by hand will not have much if any correction ability but im not a hundred percent sure on that. it will definitely clean and nourish the paint without causing any damage. at least on my car not sure about the softer paints.

i think that when you work by hand the pressure your putting down on the applicator and how aggressive you are using it all come into effect. i like the machine a lot better you can do way more work then by hand you should get one.

Eldorado2k
11-19-2016, 10:36 AM
1. I've never used P21s Paint Cleanser, but from the sounds of it, sure why not.

2. Can you cause swirls by using Ultimate Polish by hand with a foam applicator? It's possible, based on how soft your paint is, your technique [working by hand can is very hard to generalize, because 1 persons version of gentle could be aggressive in the opinion of another], another factor is the applicator and towels you use to apply/remove.

3. If you're going to use Ultimate Polish, there's no need to use a paint cleanser for the purpose of removing lsp, as the Ultimate Polish will take care of that.

4. Yes, if all things go well, it can do exactly that for you.

That being said, instead of worrying about removing lsp, I think you should think about whether or not the paint needs to be clayed prior to applying a fresh coat of lsp. You're selling yourself short if you're applying a fresh coat of protection over rough, contaminated paint.

If it was me I wouldn't even worry about removing lsp prior to applying a new layer of it. I never do. [unless it's about to be a drastic change from the norm] But if it's just going to be more of the same stuff, I aint removing nothing.

Just think of it this way... If for whatever reason you felt like applying a fresh layer of sealant after a couple of weeks and 2 bucket washes, would you deem it critical to remove the layer of sealant you just applied 2 weeks prior? Of course not...

As far as using Ultimate Polish every 3 months mainly for the sake of removing lsp prior to applying a fresh layer? I wouldn't be doing that... Not saying that it's going to put your paint in certain danger of thining out prematurely, but depending on all the possible factors, you never know.

Would I use the paint cleanser every 3 months? I wouldn't bother doing that either... Once again, I'd be more concerned on whether my paint is passing the baggy test or not [claying]

If your paint is getting a fresh coat of sealant and being washed and kept clean in between, then your paint should remain in good enough condition to not require a "polish" or "cleaning" more than maybe once a year, twice at the most.

If you do decide to go ahead with hand polishing your paint that frequently, do yourself a favor and use brand new foam applicators everytime. And pray you were born with good technique. Lol. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

FUNX650
11-19-2016, 10:51 AM
•Meguiar's has two types of polishes:
-Cleaner polishes = have abrasives
-Pure polishes = have no abrasives

•IMO:
-Since Meguiar's Ultimate Polish has
abrasives...it will clean the paint.
(Can't forget about its T.S.-Oils)
-Using an additional "Paint Cleaner"
product would be inessential.

Bob

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 12:36 AM
i think that using ultimate polish by hand will not have much if any correction ability but im not a hundred percent sure on that.
it will definitely clean and nourish the paint without causing any damage. at least on my car not sure about the softer paints.

Thanx for the info.

i think that when you work by hand the pressure your putting down on the applicator and how aggressive you are using it all come into effect. i like the machine a lot better you can do way more work then by hand you should get one.

Yeah..definitely one day I'm getting a DA.

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 12:55 AM
2. Can you cause swirls by using Ultimate Polish by hand with a foam applicator? It's possible, based on how soft your paint is, your technique [working by hand can is very hard to generalize, because 1 persons version of gentle could be aggressive in the opinion of another], another factor is the applicator and towels you use to apply/remove.

Nah for the technique part, I always try to follow MP(Mr. Mike Phillips) tips, I dont put pressure on my finger tips, instead i spread the pressure to the palm of my hand.
THe applicator I use is Meguiars standar yellow foam applicator.

As far as using Ultimate Polish every 3 months mainly for the sake of removing lsp prior to applying a fresh layer? I wouldn't be doing that... Not saying that it's going to put your paint in certain danger of thining out prematurely, but depending on all the possible factors, you never know.

Would I use the paint cleanser every 3 months? I wouldn't bother doing that either... Once again, I'd be more concerned on whether my paint is passing the baggy test or not [claying]

If your paint is getting a fresh coat of sealant and being washed and kept clean in between, then your paint should remain in good enough condition to not require a "polish" or "cleaning" more than maybe once a year, twice at the most.

If you do decide to go ahead with hand polishing your paint that frequently, do yourself a favor and use brand new foam applicators everytime. And pray you were born with good technique. Lol. Good luck!

The reason I use paint cleaner all this time is because i dont use clay bar, so for me paint cleaner is replacing clay bar.

Hmm..it seems like for you ultimate polish is too much? too abrasive?

Yes..I have quit few collections of LSPs, so every 3months or so, i'm changing my LSP, example if on January i use Meg Ultimate, on april i can be thinking of switching to Wolfgang sealant, then July maybe back to Meg Ultimate..and the reason i apply sealant in 3months cycle is because the car is a daily driver with a lot of UV exposure and rain, long story short, I have no garage, just a non sheltered driveway.
And that's why every 3months im thinking of cleaning the old LSP.

To sum up based on your concerns about ultimate polish...i think i should just do 2 step..
Using paint cleaner just to remove all the old LSP,
then the second, using ultimate polish as a glaze(the darkening wet look effect), before sealing..

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 01:12 AM
•Meguiar's has two types of polishes:
-Cleaner polishes = have abrasives
-Pure polishes = have no abrasives

•IMO:
-Since Meguiar's Ultimate Polish has
abrasives...it will clean the paint.
(Can't forget about its T.S.-Oils)
-Using an additional "Paint Cleaner"
product would be inessential.

Bob

Mr Bob,
Thanks for your input and your attention.
WOW sir you have a history of 20K+ postings on this forum, definitely you are someone i should learn something from :D

So..from now on, you are suggesting the 3monthly routine will be: wash-> ultimate polish with foam applicator-> LSP.
Please guide me if you think i miss something.

Also, do u think that i can damage my paint by using ultimate polish every 3months?

I havent starting to use ultimate polish on my car..but in the future, if im going to use it, the technique im doing will be to gently massage the polish into my paint with almost no pressure with a foam applicator maybe 2section pass per panel? is that enough to work the polishing oil into the paint?

PS:
Im sorry if you find that some of my vocabulary and grammar are weird...
Im an Indonesian, English is not the first language here..

Eldorado2k
11-21-2016, 01:16 AM
I don't think Ultimate Polish is too aggressive as long as you play it smart and know what you're doing.. And based on your recent post you should be alright. However I still don't think it's ultra critical to remove a 3 month old layer of sealant, even if a different 1 is being applied.

Sent from my iPhone

Eldorado2k
11-21-2016, 01:21 AM
Why aren't you using clay? I don't think a paint cleanser replaces clay. Does your paint pass the baggie test?

Sent from my iPhone

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 01:25 AM
I don't think Ultimate Polish is too aggressive as long as you play it smart and know what you're doing.. And based on your recent post you should be alright. However I still don't think it's ultra critical to remove a 3 month old layer of sealant, even if a different 1 is being applied.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Sir..
I appreciate the insights and the quick response you gave me..

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 01:30 AM
Why aren't you using clay? I don't think a paint cleanser replaces clay. Does your paint pass the baggie test?

Sent from my iPhone

Haha..i dont quite like the whole process of claying, plus the claybar always soft marr the car, well maybe i did it the wrong way? (meguiar standard clay bar+meg standard qd).

Yes, after i did the paint cleaner, the car PASS the baggie test..smooth like a baby's

Eldorado2k
11-21-2016, 01:35 AM
Haha..i dont quite like the whole process of claying, plus the claybar always soft marr the car, well maybe i did it the wrong way? (meguiar standard clay bar+meg standard qd).

Yes, after i did the paint cleaner, the car PASS the baggie test..smooth like a baby's

How did the marring from the claybar look? Like little cheetah marks? How did you remove the marring from the claybar? Reason I'm asking is because you say you haven't used the Ultimate Polish yet.

Sent from my iPhone

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 01:54 AM
How did the marring from the claybar look? Like little cheetah marks? How did you remove the marring from the claybar? Reason I'm asking is because you say you haven't used the Ultimate Polish yet.

Sent from my iPhone

No, not cheetah..but like a soft hairline scratches..
My car just got detailed by a professional 2months ago, so the claybar marr and scratches are gone, now the defect is still minimum.

shadwell
11-21-2016, 02:22 AM
No, not cheetah..but like a soft hairline scratches..
My car just got detailed by a professional 2months ago, so the claybar marr and scratches are gone, now the defect is still minimum.

May I offer a simplification?

Pick which sealant you like most..
Continue to use this each 2-3 months after regular washing until used up..
Switch LSP amd diagnose decontamination requirements at that time (polish or Chem only).
start with the newer one and continue etc...

as mike says find what you like and use it often...

All the best 👍🏻

jeffreyp
11-21-2016, 04:05 AM
Mr. Mike Phillips, can you offer some of your experiences and insights on this matter please?

Best Regards
Jeff.