PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning car carpet floor mats

cheekyage
11-19-2016, 03:29 AM
Hi everyone

Can anyone recommend any products or cleaning methods on how to clean up a pair of driver and passenger carpet floor mats?

I don't have a little bissell or extraction machine.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSKR
11-19-2016, 07:09 AM
So many ways so many opinions.To keep it simple use aerosol foam spray,spray it and let it do its thing then dry up with some towels.members swear by folex but I don't think it deos more than the rest of the cleaners.maybe rent a rug doctor for the day and do the whole car if needed.floor mats can be tough to clean really depends how dirty they are to map out a plan of attack.or purchase traffic lane cleaner from HDEPOT.

PA DETAILER
11-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Meguiars Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-carpet-and-upholstery-cleaner.html)

pickles
11-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Mine have stayed clean by just spraying them down with Shout and throwing them in the washing machine and allow to air dry.

Mantilgh
11-19-2016, 11:36 AM
One nice thing about working on your own at home you can go crazy on them if you want.

For lightly soiled ones, you can just agitate with a brush and vacuum. Then lightly mist with a diluted APC and wipe with a damp towel.

If they are bad, vacuum them with an upright household carpet vacuum that has a spinning brush to get as much loose soil out first. Then you could toss then in a large storage container, or just the lid of one, and let them soak in cleaner if needed. Agitate them with a brush after a good soak, then pressure wash them out or just use a hose to rinse them well. Hang them to dry for a while, and/or finish them off in the dryer. I have also thrown them washer too.

TTQ B4U
11-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Laundry tub or garden hose, Woolite and squeegee them, fluff and air dry.

MadMax
11-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Any type of carpet cleaner, scrub brush and garden hose. Towel dry. Make sure to vacuum first.

Mike Honcho
11-19-2016, 01:39 PM
I agree with all the above but as a last step I use a wire pet brush to brush and "fluff up" the carpet fibers. Washing and soaking tends to mat the fibers down.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

fightnews
11-19-2016, 02:56 PM
u can put them in the washing machine? i never thought of that

Svended
11-20-2016, 03:49 AM
I've used Valet Pro Enzyme Odour Eater (fabric shampoo, cleaner and anti bacterial) for the last few years. Works on all interior fabrics.
Vacuum up loose debris.
Spray VP EoE on fabric, agitate with a stiff nylon brush (if scrubbing only a light stain and only a small amount of EoE used, a regular dry vacuum should handle the small amount of water lifted), hose off with a jet to remove any EoE from the mats and then leave to hang dry.
Not sure about the U.S. but refurbished wet'dry vacuums can be had quite cheaply.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-20-2016, 10:04 AM
One note of caution, if you use a brush makes sure it's a soft brush. A stiff brush will rip, tear and pull up the nap of the carpet.

Svended
11-20-2016, 12:13 PM
With respect I've been using stiff nylon brushes to agitate stains out of carpets and mats for years. It goes without saying to use it with care (ie not too much pressure and not too aggressively) but used correctly can remove the stain quickly and effectively.

slovette99
11-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Start by vacuuming. Use a brush to loosen debris while vacuuming it up. I have tried sever different products and I have had decent results with all of them. Removing coffee stains mud etc. What ones i recommend the most would be Wolfgang carpet and upholstery restorer. My customers have been really pleased by the results as well as the pleasant scent it leaves behind even on a smokers vehicle. Another one is Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner. Depending on how bad the stain is you can dilute up to 4:1. I use it at 10:1 and have great results as well but it doesn't leave the nice smell like Wolfgang. I have also used Chemical Guys fabric clean which you dilute as well. It works ok but not as good as the first two. Another good one if you just want to run to your auto parts store is Tuff Stuff. It is an aerosol and comes out as a foam. With all of these i agitate with a somewhat stiff bristle brush to get it nice and foamy to help loosen up the dirt. Follow that with either a terry towel or microfiber and just blot or rub the carpet or fabric. Repeat if necessary. I always finish with vacuuming again in case any more lose debris has worked out or lint left behind from the towels. If you are dealing with greasy stains I have use Meguiars Super degreaser. Seems to be the only thing I have found that works other than Quick N' Kleen. Not sure how easy it is to get but I had a 55 gal drum and down to only a gallon or two left. Hope it helps!

oldmodman
11-20-2016, 09:04 PM
I recently cleaned the absolutely filthy set from my Explorer.

First a good vacuuming. Then soaked them with 100% Folex and brushed them until my arms were sore.

Then into the washing machine with two cups of low suds Tide. Then a second entire wash with just warm water to get out the last of thew suds. The super fast spin cycle got them almost totally dry. Left them in the sun with a shop fan blowing on them for a couple of days.

They came out like new. Even the greasy heel marks are gone.