PDA

View Full Version : First Time Detailing

brw71585
11-18-2016, 10:18 PM
I am new to the detailing world. Decided to maintain my car after one day looking at it in the light and seeing so much swirls and scratches. So I bought a PC and few thin pro pads. I bought Menzerna FG400 and SF3500 after reading good reviews on this combo. So I got to work on my wife car (Silver Toyota Camry) first as her car is in worst shape. I started on the trunk and did two test sections. One section with the a Orange pad w/ FG400 and one section w/ White Pad and FG400. The orange pad took out the swirls. After doing the trunk. I am swirl free but still seeing Deep RIDS in the paint.

My question is would I have to either use a Rotary with a wool pad or wet sand the trunk lid to get the RIDS?

Mantilgh
11-18-2016, 11:05 PM
I am swirl free but still seeing Deep RIDS in the paint.

My question is would I have to either use a Rotary with a wool pad or wet sand the trunk lid to get the RIDS?

No, not a must. I would avoid those options for a possible daily driver with a limited amount of factory clear coat.

If you really want to chase them you could with a DA by making another set of section passes.

But if you work to remove them you may make your clear coat dangerously thin depending how deep they are. Maybe just try to lessen their appearance and live with the deeper ones. Silver hides most defects well.

Setec Astronomy
11-18-2016, 11:13 PM
As Mantligh said, you have to be very careful chasing RIDS, even if you don't do some immediate damage, you may cause premature clearcoat failure, and simply not have enough for future polishing.

Look for Mike Phillip's article on how thin your factory clear is.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Some stuff you're just going to have to live with.