PDA

View Full Version : I got a Rotary :)

6LS2
11-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey guys. I finally took the step and got myself a Rotary :D Only cost $99, but its pretty dam good, variable speed bla bla bla. Anyway. We have an old Skyline that just sits there so I've been doing some practising on that. I just understand it. I tried a panel with a yellow LC pad and XMT 3 ( has really bad swirls ) rotary didnt even touch them, then I tried it on the PC and it removed like 95% of them :-/ How do I use this dam thing? Thanks fellas <3

George

Rsurfer
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Hey guys. I finally took the step and got myself a Rotary :D Only cost $99, but its pretty dam good, variable speed bla bla bla. Anyway. We have an old Skyline that just sits there so I've been doing some practising on that. I just understand it. I tried a panel with a yellow LC pad and XMT 3 ( has really bad swirls ) rotary didnt even touch them, then I tried it on the PC and it removed like 95% of them :-/ How do I use this dam thing? Thanks fellas <3

GeorgeTry using a wool pad.

67Customs
11-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I have never found XMT polishes to work well with a rotary. They just don't cut enough and they break down really quickly. When using a rotary, you need a good polish that is meant for a rotary. Optimum, Menzerna and Meguiar's Mirror Glaze are great for rotary use.

Another thing. How quickly are you moving the buffer. I find that new users move the buffer too quickly overly avoiding burning the paint. Moving it a bit slower with more deliberate motions works better. You can move the buffer slower on metal painted surfaces, but you really want to keep it moving fairly quickly on plastic painted surfaces. Plastic surfaces will heat up much more quickly and burn thorugh the paint.

6LS2
11-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I see. Well yeah I was thinking that XMT polishes may break down too quickly but It says it can be used with a rotary or DA. Im thinking of getting M80, M83 and M85. Can M83 be used with Rotary? Because it says " Dual Action Cleaner Polish " so I'm abit confused..

budman3
11-09-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't think the dual action is pertaining to the type of machine -- rather it has two functions ... cleaning and polishing.

Whats the brand of the rotary?

I do agree that XMT and the SSRs work best with a random orbital and Optimum and Menzerna work best with a rotary. You can use them with both machines but the results or satisfaction won't be its best.

Just take your time and make overlapping passes. Keep the machine moving slowly, move your body and not your arms. Keep the pad flat as well. I'm no pro with a rotary (far from it) but these pointers should lead you in the right direction.