PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for LSP?

Pages : [1] 2

galaxy
11-15-2016, 08:16 PM
So when you guys get the itch to try a new product, but your surface is already perfect and covered with your favorite LSP, what do you use to clean or strip it down, with no paint correction needed, to play with the new LSP? If it matters, want to try out Wolfgang Fuzion.

58LesPaul
11-15-2016, 08:50 PM
IPA, Isopropyl alcohol diluted to approximately 12% to 20%.

FUNX650
11-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Before totally stripping the entire
vehicle of the existing LSP...

I'd first:
-pick out 1/2 section of a
panel (hood/trunk lid); and,
-use a very light polish (to
remove the existing LSP from
its surface); and, then:
-apply the different LSP (Fusion)
to see if I like it better than the
other LSP.

•If yes:
-use the same polish to remove the
rest of the existing LSP.
-finish applying Fusion to the other
panels' surfaces.

•If no:
-use the same polish to remove
the Fusion from the 1/2 test panel
-reapply the LSP that was previously
on the test panel

Bob

Eldorado2k
11-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Hey Bob, what's your opinion on paint cleansers to handle this task vs. a light polish? Something like McKee's Coating Prep Polish. Do you think it would be good in this situation?

Maybe even better considering it doesn't contain abrasives like a polish and therefore no unnecessary rubbing away clearcoat. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back40Detailer
11-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Hey Bob, what's your opinion on paint cleansers to handle this task vs. a light polish? Something like McKee's Coating Prep Polish. Do you think it would be good in this situation?

Maybe even better considering it doesn't contain abrasives like a polish and therefore no unnecessary rubbing away clearcoat. What do you think?

I was wondering the same thing. If using a "paint cleanser" with a light polishing pad ( eg Lake Country green pad) would be sufficient to remove wax and/or sealant.

WillSports3
11-16-2016, 08:44 AM
It depends on the paint cleanser. The micro abrasives ones clean up a lot better although pinnacle black label paint cleanser will do the job if you pair it with a pad with mild cut like green.

FUNX650
11-16-2016, 09:05 AM
I was wondering the same thing.
If using a "paint cleanser" with a
light polishing pad ( eg Lake Country
green pad) would be sufficient to
remove wax and/or sealant.
From my above posting in this thread:

I'd first:
-use a very light polish (to
remove the existing LSP from
its surface);

I've found out that the
guaranteed way to "strip"
all/any LSPs is via polishing.

Bob

Eldorado2k
11-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Someone should do the community a favor and perform a few tests and post the results [with pics] to confirm the abilities of paint cleansers.

galaxy
11-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Guess I'll stick with what works then...205 on a white or black pad. Most likely a black pad if all I'm doing is cleaning up for a LSP. Maybe follow this with a 10% IPA wipe down...yea/no?

FUNX650
11-16-2016, 11:40 AM

"I Saw a Man Pursuing the Horizon"
{~Stephan Crane}

I saw a man pursuing the horizon;
'Round and 'round they sped.
I was disturbed by this;
I accosted the man.

'It is futile', I said,
'You can never---'

"You lie", he cried;
And ran on.

Bob

Paul A.
11-16-2016, 02:37 PM
I rarely desire to change up LSP's in early to mid term of it's durability. With that said, i use either my car or the wife's to try a new LSP and both vehicles most times don't require much if any abrasives. For those times i use DG501 to "clean" the paint.

Mike@ShineStruck
11-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Theirs been a couple threads in such test..one was here on Autogeek

Gist of it was that most things that are deemed to remove it simply left a surfactant to mask LSP properties..

Just do a Polish and know it's gone.

Eldorado2k
11-16-2016, 04:05 PM
Theirs been a couple threads in such test..one was here on Autogeek

Gist of it was that most things that are deemed to remove it simply left a surfactant to mask LSP properties..

The 1st thing that comes to mind is Pipuk's thread... I revisited that thread just a few days ago... I made it through about 3/4 of it before I checked out [it's a very long thread] But I didn't see any tests involving paint cleansers, specifically McKee's Coating Prep Polish. If I missed it, then my mistake... But I'd really like to find out if something like that product fills the need or not.

FUNX650
11-16-2016, 05:52 PM
^^^ :iagree: ^^^

Why chase the horizon?

Bob

Mantilgh
11-16-2016, 11:07 PM
I don't know about the chemical paint cleaners. Mike talks a little about it in this thread, and working backwards.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

If your paint were soft, you may be better off polishing than using a chemical cleaner, or even just topping it depending what your goal is.

Just giving a garage queen some love, getting a daily driver ready for winter, or somewhere in between?