PDA

View Full Version : GT3 Cup Car pulled out of storage - Mold Question

oneheadlite
11-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey Gang

At our repair shop we have a 996 GT3 cup car that's been sitting dormant in storage for about 4 years. Where it was stored was heated via a natural gas heater hanging from the ceiling, but there was otherwise nothing promoting airflow in the space (winter temp never got below about 60 degrees, I'm sure summer temps got to the 80's).

The car has been moved out of that storage spot, and has a definite musty smell. Looking it over, you can see small white mold spots all over the engine/belts, and some growing on the seat. Fortunately the only interior it has is the seat and dashboard, no carpets. I haven't had it in the air yet to see what the underside looks like.

What is the best way to go after this thing? I'm obviously concerned about health implications, especially when doing the interior. The seat is easy enough to pull out and break down for cleaning; what would be the best products to go after wiping down the inside to sanitize it? We use a citrus based degreaser for cleaning up after repairing oil leaks, would this be sufficient for the engine bay/undercarriage?

At this point the target is just getting rid of the musty stink and get it safe to have sitting up in our lobby area.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Jimmy Vegas
11-15-2016, 06:06 PM
I had a very similar problem with my interior after prolonged storage. I can highly recommend 3M Marine Mildew Stain Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-mildew-stain-remover.html) for cleaning. It does have a bit of a bleach smell, but cleaned the interior well and the mildew hasn't returned. I'm still going through catching little spots that I missed, but am very pleased wth it. The dash, steering wheel, seats, door panels, all look great. (Or as good as they did before.)