PDA

View Full Version : 2" pads on GG 6" DA?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-15-2016, 08:53 AM
There's 2" rotary backing plates available. Throw on a DA backing plate adapter to the rotary backing plate and there you have it. I'm wondering how the balance would be with a 2" setup like this?

Cruzscarwash
11-15-2016, 10:30 AM
i didn't go down to 2 inchs but I swapped over to a 3 inch and if u turn up the power you really have to focus on whats going on because it can get away from you pretty quick. ive now switched to a PC with a 2 inch and that seems to be the happy medium for me and seems to still balance well but you still need to really watch what you are doing

Mike Phillips
11-15-2016, 10:55 AM
When holding the polisher onto horizontal panels the term is,

tippy

It's not an issue if you're supporting the weight when working verticle panels.

I explain this topic here,

Griot's Garage 3" BOSS HD Orbital Backing Plate (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/105978-griots-garage-3-boss-hd-oribital-backing-plate.html)

See post #6

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Interesting idea. I would think they GG6 would be a bit over kill in the scenario. Perhaps the GG3 would be a better machine for this application.

The thing that comes to mind is the counterbalance weight in the GG6 being there for the larger plate/pads while the GG3 weight is there for the smaller pads. Just thinking out loud over here.

Mantilgh
11-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Here's something similar. GG3 though.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83116-hernandez-polisher.html

Crispy
11-15-2016, 08:48 PM
Way back I got a flexible shaft for my drill.

Put a 2" backing plate for a sanding disc in the shaft and cut down an old green pad to fit.

Was a handful to use the drill with one hand for speed, and the other to guide the pad over my rims.

It wasn't pretty but it worked remarkably well.

Now I just use my Nano iBrid for polishing and use the drill thing for sanding only.

The tippiness is just too great a risk even with 3 " Girots.

VISITOR
11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
2" backing plate and pads on a GG6/PC would most likely generate heat faster (and vibrate a lot) as well...