PDA

View Full Version : Spotless rinse

ncgolfguy
11-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Does anyone know of a whole house water softener that will also give a spotless rinse

Setec Astronomy
11-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Water softeners do something fundamentally different than a deionizer like a CR Spotless.

Water softeners perform ion exchange where the hardness ions are exchanged for sodium or potassium ions. The TDS (total dissolved solids) remains essentially the same. The water softener is regenerated on-site, automatically, using salt available in supermarkets and home stores. Because the TDS is unchanged, soft water will leave spots, but they are generally easier to remove than hard water spots.

Deionizers remove the hardness ions (and chlorine) from the water. Theoretically will have 0 TDS and theoretically will dry without spots, although in practical terms this doesn't really happen due to soap residues and dust and dirt out of nooks and crannies in the car, as well as airborne dust, etc. IMO/IME you will need to use a LOT of DI water to really get a spot-free rinse. Cannot be regenerated on-site, requires either resin replacement or off-site regeneration.

I used to use a CR Spotless but tired of the resin replacement and the inconsistent results. I wound up having my household softer water piped to my driveway faucet, and enjoy those results more than the CR.

Frequently, water treatment companies (Culligan, etc.) can provide deionizers; why don't you talk to your local companies and discuss your needs and see what they recommend for you situation. Alternatively, stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears sell water softeners that you can put in yourself or have a plumber install.

ncgolfguy
11-15-2016, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the information. I think I will give my plumber a call and see what he recommends. Your information helped me a lot thanks again!