PDA

View Full Version : What level of polish to BUY?

Pages : [1] 2

WorldMattyBlue
11-14-2016, 03:30 PM
I'm familiar with the method of using the least aggressive product first. My problem is deciding what to purchase! I have my first ever brand new car, a 2017 Subaru WRX.

The paint is in great shape as I've taken care of it since picking it up in July. Many polishes or compounds say "will remove 2000 - 2500 grit sanding marks" I'm trying to avoid buying two bottles of $40 polish.

Considering Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 (removes 2,000 grit sanding scratches)
or BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish (removes 2,500 grit sanding scratches)

I know you can't recommend much without seeing/feeling the paint, but i'd certainly appreciate some insight!

Always hand washed, two bucket method. Used a Nanoskin a few times so far, and only used spray wax. Spray waxed every two weeks. No major scratches/swirls.

Thanks!

VISITOR
11-14-2016, 04:26 PM
you're going to get a handful of suggestions, here's one to add to the list...
Griots Garage BOSS Correcting Cream (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-boss-correcting-cream.html)
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-correcting-cream-1.gif

WorldMattyBlue
11-14-2016, 04:30 PM
I may actually have that...

Is there any photo guide showing "these swirl marks are equivalent to 1,500 grit sandpaper" and "these are equivalent to 3,000" etc.

Desertnate
11-14-2016, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't get too hung up on the sandpaper grit equivalents.

The best thing is to find a compound and polish that work well with the soft Subi paint. You may never need the compound, but it's always good to have on hand in case you get some deeper swirls or some moderate marring. Pad selection should be a factor too.

My old Subaru Outback was very easy to correct with Meguiar's UP on white Lake Country Flat Pads. Occasionally I had to drop to the UC on a white pad to hit a few stubborn spots.

WorldMattyBlue
11-14-2016, 04:43 PM
I know what you mean. The soft paint is another big concern. I have plenty of moderate compounds and polishes but they will be too much at this stage. Without having to buy a bunch of new stuff and see what works best, i'm hoping there is a method of determining the level of correction needed and matching that to a series of products. I know i'm in the fine polish category, but even then there is a swing of how aggressive the product is.

My gut is to get the Blackfire SRC Finishing polish (said to remove 2500-3000 grit marks) and try different pads to fine tune the cut needed.

Thanks for your help so far!

ViperGuy21
11-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Google "Autopia polish chart"

Good starting place

WorldMattyBlue
11-14-2016, 05:02 PM
^^^^ Thanks!

WillSports3
11-14-2016, 06:14 PM
For a soft paint like Subaru, having just one good polish but a lot of different pad choices is good.

shadwell
11-14-2016, 06:20 PM
Subaru's classically have softer paint, sometimes very soft paint.
And as such have at times required some very gentle or refining polishes and euqally mild pads.. sometimes even watering down refining poishes with a finishing pad...

I would have this in mind when looking at polishes well suited and be looking at the lighter correction end of the scale...
I would also be considering having suitable pads and decent number fo them to keep the processas clean as possible, along with higher gsm MF cloths and perhaps eraser to minimise the likelhood of marring when removing polish residue...

In my current collection i have used carpro reflect and Scholl S40 to good effect on a Subaru.. I was running a lower speed and load than usual and was careful removing polish residue... it was silver so was certainly a little more forgiving than black...

All the best..

SabbyNJ
11-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Try to pick up the Wolfgang twins (total swirl remover 3.0 and finishing glaze 3.0). Terrific combo to have around. The glaze will remove any hazing caused when using an aggressive swirl remover.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

SabbyNJ
11-14-2016, 09:22 PM
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

mwoolfso
11-15-2016, 02:22 AM
My recommendation would be an AIO or a very flexible finishing polish or swirl remover. Menzerna SF3500 is a monster product and very versatile. With Subaru paint I would even say that Mother's polishes would fit the bill as well; or Meguiars D151.

BudgetPlan1
11-15-2016, 05:27 AM
Try to pick up the Wolfgang twins (total swirl remover 3.0 and finishing glaze 3.0). Terrific combo to have around. The glaze will remove any hazing caused when using an aggressive swirl remover.

Used this combo on black 2016 WRX that had many dealer installed swirls last Spring w/ orange & white LC flat pads respectively. Menzerna 2400/3500 ('new' numbers/naming ) is Menz equivalent and a bit less expensive. I'd start with the 3500/WG Finishing glaze on a white pad first and see how that does.

Topped with WG Uber Ceramic to help protect soft Subie paint, has held up well for last 10K miles, occasionally refreshed with Gyeon Cure & Gyeon Wetcoat. Stays much cleaner as well, doesn't need as frequent washings to maintain clean appearance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

lawrenceSA
11-15-2016, 05:40 AM
I've detailed a few Subarus over the years and on the ones I have encountered, all have had soft paint, such that Menzerna SF4000 is all that was needed for correction.

I suspect that with a high quality finishing polish and perhaps a medium cut polish if the paint is really hammered, is all you should need in terms of polishes. A good selection of pads will help dial in the perfect combo and I'd suggest a range from a jeweling pad to a light cut foam pad as well as lots of high quality MF towels.

BudgetPlan1
11-15-2016, 07:48 AM
Used this combo on black 2016 WRX that had many dealer installed swirls last Spring w/ orange & white LC flat pads respectively. Menzerna 2400/3500 ('new' numbers/naming ) is Menz equivalent and a bit less expensive. I'd start with the 3500/WG Finishing glaze on a white pad first and see how that does.

Topped with WG Uber Ceramic to help protect soft Subie paint, has held up well for last 10K miles, occasionally refreshed with Gyeon Cure & Gyeon Wetcoat. Stays much cleaner as well, doesn't need as frequent washings to maintain clean appearance.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

PO106FA - SF-3500 (Equivalent to WG Finishing Glaze 3.0)
PO83Q - Medium Cut Polish 2400 (Equivalent to WG Total Swirl Remover 3.0)

such that Menzerna SF4000 is all that was needed for correction.
Old numbering, is now the PO106FA - SF-3500

FWIW, the Lake Country Hydrotech pads work well with the DAT Menzerna polishes: Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads 3 Pack - Your Choice! (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-3pack.html)