PDA

View Full Version : Setting your polisher down

Pages : [1] 2 3

Coopers ST
11-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Silly question. When you are using your polisher and you set it down, how do do it? I of course lay it pad up, but it tips over. If you also do this, how do you keep it from tipping over? Did you build a stand? Or do you not care?
Thanks

parttimer
11-14-2016, 09:35 AM
I usually set my on a detailing cart, or my washing machine, trying to avoid the ground at all times. If I am working outside, either my cart or front porch.

Mike Phillips
11-14-2016, 09:47 AM
I set it upside down, if there's no handle or tool rest on the back then lay a clean microfiber towel or waffel weave drying towel or even cotton towel out flat someonwhere and lay it on this...

When working around a car I'll rest it in my lap is sitting on the ground.

In my how-to book one of the things I share is the importance of working clean.

See page 102 (http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-books.html) of The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

:)

TTQ B4U
11-14-2016, 09:51 AM
I have a cart/work area that I keep clean and usually have a clean white towel on it.

ViperGuy21
11-14-2016, 10:48 AM
I like to set it on an extra chair I have set out when buffing

Heisenberg
11-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Usually put it on a rolling cart. and it stays upright. I put towels down if I have to lay it somewhere else. One feature of the Rupes MKII that I absolutely love is that it has a flat area on the body that allows it to be firmly set down without risk of tipping.

I didn't have a first generation Rupes so I'm not sure if that was a feature then or not.

WAXOFF
11-14-2016, 12:13 PM
On my cart upside down FLEX3401

WorldMattyBlue
11-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Clean towel works best for me. I'll drape it over my leg, or put one end into a pocket when i move to another section of the car (the towel, not the machine) Just make sure you keep the same side facing up as you move:)

Zubair
11-14-2016, 12:25 PM
I put my polishers back into their respective bags during details as I am OCD and won't live with scratches on my polisher. All my polishers look brand new after many full paint corrections and I intend for them to look that way for years to come. I will NEVER rest my polishers on the floor or if on table atleast on a microfiber cloth. Heck even when resting in their detailing bags they get placed on a microfiber cloth as the inevitability of dirt in the bag might marr or scratch the polisher. Am I normal?

g35_coupe
11-14-2016, 12:48 PM
I just set it down pad-first. What's the big deal?

KIDDING! I typically have my extension cord reel nearby. I set it down on its side and let the pad hang off the edge of the reel, if it's a small pad. If it's larger, I can fit it in the center of the reel opening at an angle and it will be pad face up.

ShineDoc
11-14-2016, 01:26 PM
I put mine inside my Detail Helper belt. This thing is to die for.

shadwell
11-14-2016, 06:31 PM
I put my polishers back into their respective bags during details as I am OCD and won't live with scratches on my polisher. All my polishers look brand new after many full paint corrections and I intend for them to look that way for years to come. I will NEVER rest my polishers on the floor or if on table atleast on a microfiber cloth. Heck even when resting in their detailing bags they get placed on a microfiber cloth as the inevitability of dirt in the bag might marr or scratch the polisher. Am I normal?

No you are not.....

BryanH
11-14-2016, 09:40 PM
I didn't realize this was a conundrum. The only DA polisher I've owned, a Meguiars G110v2, has a little flat area that easily lets you set it upside down on the ground in a stable way.

Coopers ST
11-14-2016, 10:59 PM
I didn't realize this was a conundrum. The only DA polisher I've owned, a Meguiars G110v2, has a little flat area that easily lets you set it upside down on the ground in a stable way.

My GG6 does not. It will tip over and the edge of the pad will touch the surface it's on.

wing commander
11-14-2016, 11:10 PM
I have a table or cart that keeps it elevated and facing up,however I am also careful not to allow anything to blow onto my pad like from a fan or windy breeze.