PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions for removing grease

koj11
11-13-2016, 07:25 PM
I'll try to condense this story...

I've been hearing a rotational rubbing noise from the wheel area on my 2014 Ford Fusion for a while, had it in to the dealer several times to figure out the problem. They finally heard it too and told me it was "the tires flexing on the wheels".

I know, I know...is that a thing??? I thought this was my dealer's way of saying "we don't know".

I called around, and another Ford dealership had actually heard of such a thing a couple times apparently. My dealer said they could break down the tires and use a different bead grease and that should fix the problem. I brought it back in, and lo and behold, when I picked it up, the noise was gone. I was flabbergasted... but thankful the problem was fixed even though I'd never heard of such a thing before.

Now the kicker... It was dark when I picked up my car. Seeing it in the daylight today was...frustrating...

https://i.imgsafe.org/8fd9d5cd2f.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/8fd9db87e4.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/8fd9e06791.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/8fd9e7b4c0.jpg

This stuff is thick and everywhere. It's like axle grease. There is no way I could possibly clean my wheels and tires like this. Any rag that touches this stuff would be ruined.

I've generally had a good relationship with my dealer up until this situation, and I don't want to be the "oh god it's this guy again" guy to them. I've got some upgrades and other things planned for my car in the future that my dealer has agreed to help me out with and I don't want to sour the relationship by going back yet again and complaining. I'd like to try and take care of it myself first.

Does anyone know what this stuff could be and more importantly, suggestions on how to clean it off or what to use to safely take care of this? It's packed in there good and is nasty stuff...

GSKR
11-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Man that is sloppy work.Take it back to them why should you have to mess with that.

Boudin
11-13-2016, 10:58 PM
Wipe as much off as you can with paper towels or shop rags. Clean the rest up with Zep Fast 505 and a brush you don't mind ruining. Gonna take several applications but I've had to do this before too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

koj11
11-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Wipe as much off as you can with paper towels or shop rags. Clean the rest up with Zep Fast 505 and a brush you don't mind ruining. Gonna take several applications but I've had to do this before too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not familiar with that product. Looking it up, it looks pretty strong. Is that going to be safe for the wheels and tires? I don't care about stripping off protection, I'll put another coat on before they get stored for the winter. Just don't want to do any damage.

Don M
11-14-2016, 09:02 AM
I agree that you will have to do a bunch of manual cleaning (wiping with rags/paper towels) that will ruin the towels, it's going to be like cleaning up old suspension parts. After that using a moderately strong degreaser (like the ZEP - diluted) and you should be good to go, except for the need to reseal the tires/wheels.

koj11
11-14-2016, 10:50 AM
What dilution ratio would you recommend? 1:1?

Don M
11-14-2016, 11:43 AM
What dilution ratio would you recommend? 1:1?

I would start at 2 to 1, then 1 to1, then straight if it's not working with the diluted mixes, but ZEP is pretty strong so it should work. Dampen an old rag with the ZEP to manually try and wipe it off. That should get it.

koj11
11-14-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm switching over to my winter wheels/tires on Friday. I'll give the ZEP a shot when I have these wheels off the car. Thanks.

GSKR
11-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Zep is weak and it's meant for retail and it's dummied down for retail use.Tape up edge of rim and use some mineral spirits.I would take it back thats unsatisfactory work,did you buy the car like that the answer would be no.so why should you have to look at that or even do manual labor.Take it back.

RippyD
11-14-2016, 02:52 PM
What others said - remove as much as you can with paper towels (or paper shop towels) and then use a de-greaser. Simple Green should work, or any of the concentrated citrus based cleaners I would think.

koj11
11-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Zep is weak and it's meant for retail and it's dummied down for retail use.Tape up edge of rim and use some mineral spirits.I would take it back thats unsatisfactory work,did you buy the car like that the answer would be no.so why should you have to look at that or even do manual labor.Take it back.

I absolutely agree with this sentiment, I just have concerns about ruining future relations with them and then having them be less than cooperative with me on future plans I have for the car. I'm also concerned about allowing them to do any more work on the wheels and tires. If I do it, I know it will be done with the right products and the right methods that won't cause further damage. I realize I shouldn't have to do this, but in considering the bigger picture, I think it may give me less headaches in the long run.

GSKR
11-14-2016, 03:16 PM
When you take the tires off the rim give it a whirl with some lacquer thinner.Degreaser won't do anything and you will be there forever.

koj11
11-14-2016, 03:24 PM
The tires aren't coming off the rims. My snow tires are mounted on different wheels. These tires stay on these wheels. Would mineral spirits or lacquer thinner be safe for the tires and the painted/clearcoated wheel surfaces?

GSKR
11-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Well if you use lacquer thinner even with taping and the repeated wiping the paint may or may not get damaged.Try mineral spirits first and tape the rim as well.your really gonna have to get in there and wipe and pick.

Crispy
11-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Xylene will dissolve the black crap.

Use shop towels.