PDA

View Full Version : SEMA 2016 Video: Griot's Garage Polisher, Pads and Products

Mike Phillips
11-11-2016, 04:55 PM
SEMA 2016 Video: Griot's Garage Polisher, Pads and Products (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/106227-sema-2016-video-griots-garage-polisher-pads-products.html)

Jeff Brown the Product Developer from Griot's Garage along with Sam Battersby one of the Trainers for Griot's Garage share the new 3.5" thin pads and the new 3" Heavy Duty Backing Plate and how these new pads and backing plate can be used with the BOSS compounds and polishes with the Griot's 6" DA Orbital Polisher

Griot's Garage Polisher, Pads and Products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr7q8yLU-6o

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage Products (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html)

:)

Mike@ShineStruck
11-11-2016, 05:37 PM
I knew something was comming good
I asked Him when they'll be releasing a boss mini...this works just as good

Id imagine that was pretty much weight of machine?

WRAPT C5Z06
11-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Jeff said the white pad is the fastest correcting pad? I would assume the MF pad would cut faster.

Firehouse Mike
11-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Jeff said the white pad is the fastest correcting pad? I would assume the MF pad would cut faster.

The MF pad cuts better than the white pads IMO...there is also an MF pad without the pad, that is it's just the MF surface and the velcro only. Lots of correcting power there. https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+fast+cutting+pad.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

Mike

Detailsbydaniel
11-11-2016, 10:29 PM

I think he was just referring to the foam options when he said that. The microfiber works faster in my experience

VISITOR
11-11-2016, 10:55 PM
nice, it makes sense with the thicker/balanced/weight of this backing plate that the vibration would be diminished/reduced (evident in the video). i will be replacing my 3" DA backing plate with this!

dschia
11-12-2016, 12:45 AM
Finally a 3 inch pad with the BOSS design- center hole and tapered edge. Simple yet practical. A 5mm-7mm foam interface imo for the microfiber will be a better balance between power and maneuvering around curves for DA. Thinner foam layer also reduces foam stress from dual action which increases durability.

mrclean
11-12-2016, 01:11 AM
jeff. brown. the god! im always impressed with all his ideas.

Mike Phillips
11-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Id imagine that was pretty much weight of machine?

Yes. These machines weigh in around 5-6 pounds and when working horizontal panels that's about it all it takes to engage the abrasives with the paint. A tick more pressure for working out isolated deep defects and/or to maintain a smooth buffing action.

For vertical panels of course YOU have to support the machine so this means the pressure of the pad to the paint must come from you.

I discuss this topic in my review of this new HD backing plate here,

Griot's Garage 3" BOSS HD Orbital Backing Plate (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/105978-griots-garage-3-boss-hd-oribital-backing-plate.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3251/3_inch_HD_BP_003.jpg

Jeff said the white pad is the fastest correcting pad?

I would assume the MF pad would cut faster.

You assume correctly as

Fibers are a form of abrasives -Mike Phillips

Jeff was speaking in the context of the foam pad options.

Just to note, we did all of these SEMA videos on the fly on Friday. It was loud, everyone was tired and they were all unscripted. Yancy pointed the camera at us and said,

Go!

The MF pad cuts better than the white pads IMO...

Mike

Correct. :dblthumb2:

With microfiber pads the fibers act as abrasives, this is how Meguiar's was able to introduce the Microfiber DA Correction System to the PRODUCTION DETAILING INDUSTRY to replace POWERFUL ROTARY BUFFERS.

This is also why FOAM pads finish out nicer more consistently over a wider spectrum of paint finishes than any fiber pad.

I remember all these changes in the industry since I've lived through most of them. Bob McKee told me I should write a Coffee Table Book sometime documenting the history and changes as they occurred and occur. Hmm.....

I think he was just referring to the foam options when he said that. The microfiber works faster in my experience

Again correct. Fibers are form of abrasive. When used with a compound, polish or even cleaner/wax you then have TWO forms of abrasives working to remove material.

nice, it makes sense with the thicker/balanced/weight of this backing plate that the vibration would be diminished/reduced (evident in the video).

i will be replacing my 3" DA backing plate with this!

Just to note... to my knowledge, this backing plate is intended to be used with full size dual action orbital polishers, not the 3" Griot's Mini Polisher. It's kind of overkill plus too much mass for the smaller sidekick version in the Griot's line.

jeff. brown. the god! im always impressed with all his ideas.

I agree. The detailing industry, (that's you an me i.e. people), are better off from his innovative ideas put into action/production.

:dblthumb2:

axel06
11-12-2016, 12:18 PM
following awsome products !!!!

VISITOR
11-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Just to note... to my knowledge, this backing plate is intended to be used with full size dual action orbital polishers, not the 3" Griot's Mini Polisher. It's kind of overkill plus too much mass for the smaller sidekick version in the Griot's line.

mike, just to clarify this was going to replace my current 3" DA backing plate that i use on the GG6/PC. i wouldn't alter the backing plate on the GG3 as it needs it's current (smaller/light) backing plate to help keep it spinning. thanks for posting this video...

as jeff said (towards the end of the video), "we're just getting started, we got our foot on the gas". i couldn't agree more and definitely look forward to future on what GG is going to bring/offer us! very exciting!! :dblthumb2:

Nappers
11-12-2016, 05:52 PM
I love that GG 3" machine!

I use it for headlights mostly.....

Gotta love SEMA!!!

Mike@ShineStruck
11-13-2016, 10:50 AM
When may we expect this new BP?
And will there be a package bundle with the GG6?

Firehouse Mike
11-13-2016, 04:05 PM
following awsome products !!!!

I'm slowly migrating to using primarily Griot's products. I'm local to the flagship store and it's so east to just pop in and pick up what's needed. I was there yesterday getting more 3-1 Leather Spray when Nick and Richard Griot came in. Always nice to see and chat with these guys, true car enthusiasts!

New products should be available in a few weeks I was told....FYI

Mike