PDA

View Full Version : Foam Gun/Cannon soap... What gives you the best bang for your buck?

Pages : [1] 2

natewood70
11-10-2016, 11:14 AM
Hello my fellow geeks!

So, something I have been struggling with is identifying the best soap to use with my foam gun. For a typical 2BM I use Meg's Hyperwash, but I find that it leaves something to be desired in terms of foam when mixing it to use with my foam gun.

If I mix the same dilution ratios of Meg's Hyperwash compared to something like CG Mr. Pink, Meg's Gold Class, or even Wolfgang Auto-Bathe, I see dramatically different results in the thickness and dwell time of the suds in the following order (Best at Top):

1. CG Mr. Pink
2. Wolfgang Auto-Bathe
3. Meg's Gold Class
4. Meg's Hyperwash

I use a quart sized attachment to the foam gun, and to keep a standard of measure the same, I have always done 1 oz of product mixed with 31 oz of water. Clearly for something like Meg's Hyperwash this ratio is far more concentrated than what is recommended.

In lieu of all this, I ask the following:

1. What is your favorite soap when busting out the foam gun/cannon?
2. Should I throw out normal dilution ratios that are recommended when using the foam gun? (As in, stop being so damn stingy with the amount of soap used?)
3. What have you seen that offers the best bang for your buck with these soaps, even if it hasn't been your go-to product?

Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone!

OptimumAutoSpa
11-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm a big fan of CG Mr. Pink... haven't really tried others because it works pretty well.

natewood70
11-10-2016, 11:39 AM
I'm a big fan of CG Mr. Pink... haven't really tried others because it works pretty well.

Yeah, CG Mr. Pink is pretty awesome, I just don't know if something better exists out there for use in my foam gun in terms of dwell time and foam thickness (which I think are equally important to each other).

The Guz
11-10-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't know what foam gun you have but Mike Phillips has a great write up on a foam gun

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sales-promotions-forum-members-non-forum-members/102740-how-use-foam-gun-mike-phillips.html

I've never had an issue with Hyper Wash not producing enough foam. My dilution ratio is definitely more soap that what you are using in yours. McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam, Optimum Car Wash, Car Pro Reset have all foamed well for me in a foam gun.

natewood70
11-10-2016, 12:05 PM
I don't know what foam gun you have but Mike Phillips has a great write up on a foam gun

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/sales-promotions-forum-members-non-forum-members/102740-how-use-foam-gun-mike-phillips.html

I've never had an issue with Hyper Wash not producing enough foam. My dilution ratio is definitely more soap that what you are using in yours. McKee's 37 Xtreme Foam, Optimum Car Wash, Car Pro Reset have all foamed well for me in a foam gun.

Yeah - that post is kinda the reason that spurred this discussion, and I have the same one that he uses in the write up.

The other day I was just using hyperwash at the same dilution ratios as the other soaps, and it didn't foam as thick or dwell as long as the others. So... this got me thinking about what might be the best foaming soap based on what others have noticed when factoring cost, foam thickness, and dwell time.

PA DETAILER
11-10-2016, 12:10 PM
Never had a issue with HW in my foam gun either? If your looking for more, give PB SLICK & SUDS a shot.

ViperGuy21
11-10-2016, 12:14 PM
A few that I like:

CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
Optimum car wash
Poorboy's foam soap(soon to be released)is REALLY excellent!

natewood70
11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Never had a issue with HW in my foam gun either? If your looking for more, give PB SLICK & SUDS a shot.

Not really an "issue," it's more of a desire to want the best performance for the best price, and right now I am just looking for opinions.

Is it unreasonable to utilize a soap specifically for foam gun use vs 2BM? While I typed that out all I could think is how unreasonable it is to have 25+ different LSP's lol

A few that I like:

CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
Optimum car wash
Poorboy's foam soap(soon to be released)is REALLY excellent!

Poorboy's always seems to have solid pricing, and great products. I'll keep an eye out for it.

detailedbybrian
11-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Sub'd for more information.

custmsprty
11-10-2016, 06:16 PM
CG Honeydew Snowfoam.

karl1672
11-10-2016, 06:26 PM
CG Honeydew Snowfoam.

+1

osiapstndp
11-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Chemical Guys' Honeydew soap was the first "snow foam" product I used. It definitely works well. The product's smell is too strong and finally got to me. I eventually switched to my old favorite Meguiar's D111, which works equally well.

After a long while I tried McKee's Power Wash and it's fantastic. I use it in a foam cannon and for standard contact washing. Every once and a while I'll switch back to D111 just to mix it up. Contact washing is still the most effective way at removing surface dirt - one shouldn't expect 100℅ dirt and debris removal with a "touchless" wash method.

For a foam cannon I normally add two ounces of soap to approximately 25 ounces of hose water and get great results from the three aforementioned products. Use the dilution ratio on the product's container if it specifies how much to use for a foam cannon or foam gun.

If price is no concern I strongly recommend a gallon of McKee's Power Power Wash. If one must adhere to a strict budget I vote for Meguiar's D111 - it may not be flashy and snazzy, but it gets the job done.

McKee's Power Wash
http://www.autogeek.net/dp301.html

Meguiar's D111
http://www.autogeek.net/mg11101.html

Dandy98
11-10-2016, 07:13 PM
I'll need to try CG Mr Pink. I'm a Adams fan and have just received their Gun and Blue Shampoo. I'll be looking at Mikes Posting. I'm just starting to gear up for the winter here in Michigan. It will be interesting to see how this new gun will work inside of my newly converted detail bay.
Grand River Detailing
Serving SE Michigan

natewood70
11-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Maybe a comparison test is in order for different soaps? It seems the consensus from this small sample is something from CG's line, Mckee's power wash, or D111.

I'd be happy to run another comparison test of some kind since my last one is dwindling down.

Any other suggestions on what may be worth looking at?

The Guz
11-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Maybe a comparison test is in order for different soaps? It seems the consensus from this small sample is something from CG's line, Mckee's power wash, or D111.

I'd be happy to run another comparison test of some kind since my last one is dwindling down.

Any other suggestions on what may be worth looking at?

D111 is essentially Gold Class. That is my personal opinion on the product. So you will see the same performance as Gold Class.