PDA

View Full Version : Question about wheel cleaners

Dan Tran
11-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Hello folks,

Dan here. My question for today is the following:

I have been searching around for an answer about something yet maybe I am looking too hard. I am quite a fan of Wolfgang tire and wheel cleaner. It is all in the name, cleans tires and wheels super well.

Can other wheel cleaners be used on tires as well such as Sonax Full effect and many alike?

I hope this isn't a dumb question. However, most wheel cleaner descriptions mention to be used on wheels, but I want to make sure they either work in the same manner as WG or not.

thanks for your time.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-09-2016, 09:04 PM
Many guys prefer a dedicated wheel cleaner, and therefore a dedicated tire & rubber cleaner. I am not picky personally as long s the chemical does its job.

Meguiars Wheel & Tire cleaner is an amazing product that works well on nasty wheels and tires. Its a favorite of mine and very cost friendly.

You can clean wheels and tires with a degreaser.

You can clean wheels and tires with many All Purpose Cleaners.

I personally would not use Sonax Full Effect to clean tires. Waste of product in my opinion.

Mantilgh
11-09-2016, 09:15 PM
I agree with the post above.

Can you clean tires with other wheel cleaners?

Yes, some of them.

The color changing ones probably do not work as well for cleaning tires and tend to be more pH neutral.

Good tire cleaners tend to be high pH. High pH cleaners are also decent at wheel cleaning.

briarpatch
11-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Stoners Wheel Cleaner can be used on tires......it works very well. It's my go-to wheel cleaner now...unless they're really bad...then I go to Griots heavy duty

DBAILEY
11-10-2016, 03:00 AM
AutoGlym Custom Wheel Cleaner is a good one that does both.

Eldorado2k
11-10-2016, 03:28 AM
Meguiars D143

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

BadgerRivFan
11-10-2016, 06:44 AM
McKees 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel also indicates that it will work on tires in addition to being safe for all wheel types:

http://www.autogeek.net/dp370.html

I have not used this product so unfortunately I can't comment on it's effectiveness though...

My guess is WG is probably the best, but Meguiars or McKees are the better values.

Desertnate
11-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Mother's Foaming Wheel and Tire Cleaner does it all too.

Mothers Mothers Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mo05924.html)

dschribs
11-10-2016, 08:27 AM
Eagle One All Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

Or, as suggested, D143 works great on wheels, tires and wheelwells.

Save your money. You don't need a dedicated tire cleaner unless you are applying a product that actually requires it such as Tuf Shine.

Nick McKees37
11-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Hello folks,

Dan here. My question for today is the following:

I have been searching around for an answer about something yet maybe I am looking too hard. I am quite a fan of Wolfgang tire and wheel cleaner. It is all in the name, cleans tires and wheels super well.

Can other wheel cleaners be used on tires as well such as Sonax Full effect and many alike?

I hope this isn't a dumb question. However, most wheel cleaner descriptions mention to be used on wheels, but I want to make sure they either work in the same manner as WG or not.

thanks for your time.

Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner is tough to beat. There's some other great options out there, but none of them are as advanced as Wolfgang's formula. This is not recommended or endorsed by Autogeek, but an easy test is to pour a small amount of product on your skin. If the product hurts your skin, don't you think it might hurt your car? Quality chemistry is not cheap, but neither are the wheels on your vehicle.

Save your money. You don't need a dedicated tire cleaner unless you are applying a product that actually requires it such as Tuf Shine.

I strongly disagree. I almost always use a dedicated wheel cleaner and a dedicated tire cleaner. Here's why: I drive nearly 500 miles a week, plus I have a car (WRX) that produces a ton of brake dust. For that reason I use a dedicated wheel cleaner (a dedicated product is always stronger than a 2-in-1) because my application calls for it. Since I'm already using a separate wheel cleaner, the obvious choice to clean my tires is a dedicated tire cleaner.

I also strongly recommend "deep cleaning" your wheels and tires every once in a while, using a dedicated wheel cleaner and a dedicated tire cleaner. :dblthumb2:

willowcat11
11-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Thankyou Nick, for taking the time out to answer this question! I have always found your answers to be pretty spot-on man!

Ray

FUNX650
11-10-2016, 05:10 PM
When I'm dealing with tire/wheel
assemblies...I find that it's difficult
to not get any of either: the wheel
cleaning product on the tires; or the
tire cleaning product on the wheels.

Therefore, IMO:
It's a "must" to find a product
(or products that will compliment
each other) that will not only clean,