PDA

View Full Version : Are Interior Cleaners Any Good?

spielwurfel
11-08-2016, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, how are you?

I always wondered about these interior cleaners and how good they are. So, I clean my car interior frequently because I value a beautiful, clean, well sanitized interior. I donīt eat in my car and donīt allow anyone to do so, so it never gets really dirty. Normally all I can see is a bunch of dust after a couple of weeks and some oily finger marks on the black piano dashboard.

Having that said, all I do to clean my interior is to wipe it with a damp microfiber and drying with another one. For the oily dashboard I use a quick detailer or a very diluted APC when itīs more greasy. Then I follow up with the application of a plastic dressing made for interiors to give it a matte shine and protect the plastic.

I never felt the necessity to use a specific interior cleaner due to this low amount of dirt. Would a interior cleaner provide any other benefit that I don't have with water?

Thanks =)

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-08-2016, 07:21 PM
As the Doc says, "If it ain`t broke, don't fix it." However; you could streamline your whole process and just use something like Meguiars`s Quik Interior Detailer. It cleans and leaves a little something behind.

FUNX650
11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
all I do to clean my interior is to
wipe it with a damp microfiber
and drying with another one.

For the oily dashboard I use a quick
detailer or a very diluted APC when
itīs more greasy.

Then I follow up with the application
of a plastic dressing made for interiors
to give it a matte shine and protect
the plastic.

What causes the dashboard to
get oily and greasy...and not the
other interior components?

Bob

BrutalNoodle
11-08-2016, 09:08 PM
What if you take any decent interior cleaner and wipe it down after your normal procedure....do you think it would make a difference?

I'm thinking it probably would.

I've seen some interiors that looked clean & uniformed, but only because it's uniformly dirty; light layer of buildup over time. lol

Not knocking your regiment. Just food for thought.

rlmccarty2000
11-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Try McKees Fast Interior Detailer. It's made for light cleaning like dust and fingerprint removal.

briarpatch
11-08-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm in the same boat...my interior rarely gets dirty...mostly just dusty on the dashboard. Still, I use Meguiars Natural Shine...nice mild smell, light cleaning capability, leaves a nice matte finish behind.

SRConcepts
11-08-2016, 09:53 PM
I use Blackfire Interior Cleaner and Interior Protectant when I clean the interiors on my AMGs, both of which work wonderfully. I like the fact that they're safe for pretty much any surface, unlike some APCs that can cause discoloring or other ill effects. On cars like these, I'm not going to take a chance with APCs, even on a test spot.

willowcat11
11-09-2016, 12:15 AM
How about SEALING it. Then alls you really need is Just a wet microfiber to keep it clean. Any spills will just come right off. And a Sealant like WG Cockpit Trim sealant will also do an Excellent job of Repelling Dust. I've had Wcts on my dash, vinyl, and leather for 8 months. I just cleaned it all off recently just for the sake of reapplying it and some spots seemed to fade a little bit.

dcjredline
11-09-2016, 01:23 AM
Interior cleaner or detailer? I just got and like the Griots Interior Cleaner. As far as detailers go I like the Adams stuff, if Meguiar's got their problem figured out with QID I like that too.

Desertnate
11-09-2016, 09:14 AM
I've become a fan of McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant and use it once a month or so when cleaning up the interior. However, no matter how clean you keep the car, I believe you need to "deep clean" some of the surfaces like seats, steering wheels, and shift knobs, just to keep the material in good condition. My cleaner of choice was a safely diluted APC, but I'm going to try McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion this go around.

spielwurfel
11-10-2016, 06:15 AM
As the Doc says, "If it ain`t broke, don't fix it." However; you could streamline your whole process and just use something like Meguiars`s Quik Interior Detailer. It cleans and leaves a little something behind.

That's what I wanted the opinion of you guys, if theres a little something that's worth using a interior cleaner. Is it worth?

What causes the dashboard to
get oily and greasy...and not the
other interior components?

Bob

Maybe my translation wasn't the best, but I mean, that parts of the car interior where all the buttons, multimedia screen and etc are located. As I touch them frequently for air conditioning, temperature, multimedia and etc, and my hands are a little bit oily, this part gets greasy. The part of the car after the cluster, near the winshield where the defogger is located doesn't get greasy, only dusty, because I never touch this region.

What if you take any decent interior cleaner and wipe it down after your normal procedure....do you think it would make a difference?

I'm thinking it probably would.

I've seen some interiors that looked clean & uniformed, but only because it's uniformly dirty; light layer of buildup over time. lol

Not knocking your regiment. Just food for thought.

Yes, that's what I'm asking, if only water would be enough to remove any dirty build-up... Could be the case that my car is getting uniformly dirty ahaha

Try McKees Fast Interior Detailer. It's made for light cleaning like dust and fingerprint removal.

Gonna try when I have the chance to buy. I live in Brazil and there's a small amount of products available here.

I'm in the same boat...my interior rarely gets dirty...mostly just dusty on the dashboard. Still, I use Meguiars Natural Shine...nice mild smell, light cleaning capability, leaves a nice matte finish behind.

I use Meguiars natural shine as well (love the smell), but I use only after cleaning and drying with water. For a normally clean interior do you think this is enough?

I use Blackfire Interior Cleaner and Interior Protectant when I clean the interiors on my AMGs, both of which work wonderfully. I like the fact that they're safe for pretty much any surface, unlike some APCs that can cause discoloring or other ill effects. On cars like these, I'm not going to take a chance with APCs, even on a test spot.

I'd love to try this one when I have the chance to buy!

How about SEALING it. Then alls you really need is Just a wet microfiber to keep it clean. Any spills will just come right off. And a Sealant like WG Cockpit Trim sealant will also do an Excellent job of Repelling Dust. I've had Wcts on my dash, vinyl, and leather for 8 months. I just cleaned it all off recently just for the sake of reapplying it and some spots seemed to fade a little bit.

Again, spills don't happen in my car. No food, no drinks inside it hahaaha. Anyway, would that apply to the plastic itself? Black piano finish...? The meguairs natural shine barely last for two weeks on my interior. Do you think this sealant would last about 8 months on mine as well?

Interior cleaner or detailer? I just got and like the Griots Interior Cleaner. As far as detailers go I like the Adams stuff, if Meguiar's got their problem figured out with QID I like that too.

Interior cleaner! Do you think it makes a good difference from just using water?

I've become a fan of McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant and use it once a month or so when cleaning up the interior. However, no matter how clean you keep the car, I believe you need to "deep clean" some of the surfaces like seats, steering wheels, and shift knobs, just to keep the material in good condition. My cleaner of choice was a safely diluted APC, but I'm going to try McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion this go around.

Noted, gonna try that!

SANTA3013
11-10-2016, 05:14 PM

I've been using Megs QID and have had no issues. What specifically are you talking about when you say "problem"? Thanks

Eldorado2k
11-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Hey guys, how are you?

I always wondered about these interior cleaners and how good they are. So, I clean my car interior frequently because I value a beautiful, clean, well sanitized interior. I donīt eat in my car and donīt allow anyone to do so, so it never gets really dirty. Normally all I can see is a bunch of dust after a couple of weeks and some oily finger marks on the black piano dashboard.

Having that said, all I do to clean my interior is to wipe it with a damp microfiber and drying with another one. For the oily dashboard I use a quick detailer or a very diluted APC when itīs more greasy. Then I follow up with the application of a plastic dressing made for interiors to give it a matte shine and protect the plastic.

I never felt the necessity to use a specific interior cleaner due to this low amount of dirt. Would a interior cleaner provide any other benefit that I don't have with water?

Thanks =)

Based on what you're already using... No, a dedicated interior cleaner won't surpass your current method. You're already doing a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eldorado2k
11-10-2016, 05:49 PM
I've been using Megs QID and have had no issues. What specifically are you talking about when you say "problem"? Thanks

He's referring to the vinegar smell that has plagued alot of recent bottles of Megs QID.

spielwurfel
11-11-2016, 09:59 AM
Based on what you're already using... No, a dedicated interior cleaner won't surpass your current method. You're already doing a great job.

Always enjoy seeing the different opinions from you guys at the forum =)