PDA

View Full Version : interior detailing

Cruzscarwash
11-08-2016, 05:22 PM
so I hate doing interior, maybe more so because I don't have an extractor and hate doing carpet with a DA brush or drill brush and really don't like doing it by hand. its just not a task I enjoy, with that said would getting an extractor really make the task that much faster and easier or what about a better steamer with extraction and /or vapor injection

GSKR
11-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Extraction machines produce really good results.If you are mobile it can add time to a job.I have a 2700 dollar extractor that sits in my garage I use it more on my tiles.I will take it only when needed for nasty jobs.steamers I think are a waste of money,I don't want to marry the car but get it done quick as I can.so my answer to you is buy any machine you like that will help you get interested doing interiors.

Mike@ShineStruck
11-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Try maybe a tornador black

Svended
11-08-2016, 07:12 PM
I just use a good wet'dry vacuum cleaner.
Spray on interior shampoo, agitate with a stiff nylon brush and vacuum up.

Maestro Sam
11-08-2016, 09:17 PM
Nothing beats an extractor when trying to produce professional results. Interior shampooing and then vacuuming up the residue with a wet vac is not that effective. This method will create uneven spots on some fabric and also, leave a lot of chemicals and other residues behind. This will cause the fabric to harden, mold, and attact more dust in the future. Will also cause the wicking effect.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-08-2016, 09:22 PM
For me when we're two people team (Interior Gal) it's extraction all the way. Time is required for setup, and depending on how bad the interior is, you will definitely have to change out water. Having said that the results are incredible. With that said, Interior Gal always pre-treats and does Aqua Brush on a PC, then extracts... This ensures the results we expect.

When I'm on my own (which is rare) I revert to the Tornador Black & the Aqua Brush on the PC.

Sounds like you need an Interior Gal & Extractor! (but you can't have mine... We've been married for 20 years, and that's a lot of training... Husband training that is.) :)

TTQ B4U
11-08-2016, 10:13 PM
Too early for me to comment with my final opinion, but I just bought a McCulloch MC1385 steamer and tried it out on one vehicle full interior and another set of floor mats from another. It did an amazing job. For these I used Folex and steam along with some white terry cloth towels.

I do plan on adding in a smaller consumer extractor but not a hot/steam unit. Until I build up my interior business I'm going to make due with a smaller investment. When it picks up, I'll put forth $800-$1100 for a decent extractor.

What I like about the steamer is that it's versatile. I can use it at home, in the car and on a variety of surfaces and materials. It's also easier to use and move around and set up.

It did a great job.

Cruzscarwash
11-09-2016, 10:22 AM
I have the Tornador Black and even after very intense vacuum session, it still flings up a ton of mud, granted I know this is good because its getting out all that built up dirt but it just seems to create a bigger mess.

I also have a McCulloch MC1385 and it works great for dash panels and all those nooks and cracks but when it comes to stains on seats I just cant seem to remove any with it, idk if im doing something wrong but it just never seems to work, ive used it with folex, megs APC, different dry foams, agitate and then steam over it with a MF attached to the triangle head and it looks to be gone until the spot dries then you see the outline of the stain still.

I have a small bissel carpet shampooer which I also don't seem to get the best results with, I feel like its more of an operator error then anything but but ive read dozens of forum/thread and endless tube videos and I just never get the same results

gregory1420
11-09-2016, 08:14 PM
buy the right tool for the job and then you might not hate it as much...

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-09-2016, 08:43 PM
I really feel that you should take some time and really examine your techniques. There are some great videos from past DetailFest classes where Jason Rose covered aspects of interior detailing. There are also some other great ones on YouTube. Interior detailing is a great money stream, especially with female clientele. My interior detail arsenal includes a Mytee extractor, McCullough 1275 steamer, DA brush, good shop vac, and tons of brushes. Compared to paint correction, interior detailing sucks. But it is absolutely profitable.

Mantilgh
11-09-2016, 11:12 PM
What I really like about doing trashed interiors is that the results are really noticeable, but they are a lot of work. Physical work.

I do not have an extractor, but here's my take on it.

Interior cleaning with an extractor more enjoyable? Probably not much, maybe a little. Depends on your definition of enjoyable. It is shiny, makes noise, has lights and switches, sprays hot water, and makes you look more professional.

Will the process be faster and easier? I would think it would be a little faster and a little easier.

It will still require a decent amount of physical work and time.

You should still agitate and vacuum first. Correct?

Still need to apply a cleaner and agitate?

Instead trying to remove the cleaner and dirt with towels, or "wet moping" plus towels and/or a shop vac, you work the extractor over the area. Which is still work.

You may still need to blot or rub the area with towels to dry it better unless you've got the convenience of a shop and are holding the customers car.

I think an extractor would improve results on nasty interiors, and may cut down on a little time.

Do you have you own shop, mobile, both?

Do you do a lot of thrashed interiors?

One thing I can think of that may make you enjoy it more is charge more. Interior restoration is a lot of work. Make the price worth what you are doing.

What type of cleaners are you using?

Since I've started using citrus solvent cleaner/degreaser type products I enjoy the process a little more. They work well, quick, little agitation needed, no foam, little left behind, dries quickly, and the smell is not bad.

Cruzscarwash
11-11-2016, 04:15 PM
idk, maybe im not using the right chemicals, clients dont complain but i do, im also very OCD so nothing seem good enough. when i comes to paint i can stop my self and say hey, thats good, walk away but with interior i jst cant seem to. it never seems good enough for me. when i watch the videos online i feel like they have mind blowing results compared to mine.

GSKR
11-11-2016, 08:11 PM
I'm sure you do a good job your to vain.Ive been now doing this for 25 years and I think the same sometimes.