PDA

View Full Version : My First Rupes

DaveT435
11-08-2016, 12:29 PM
I got my ibird today. This is my first Rupes machine. Just the case this thing comes in is impressive. Everything you'll need in a very convenient carrying case. A specific spot for everything you need. Plenty of room to put things where they belong instead of packaging where you can never get things back in the way they were packed from the factory. Then when you pick up the tool the quality is obvious, a lot heavier duty than I expected. Hopefully the rain stops this weekend so I have a chance to play with it. I have a garage but hate working in 100% humidity.
I was wondering if I was going to need to keep my PE8 when I got this tool. If I did this for a living I might, but doubt I'll need it.

coles_paint_correction
11-08-2016, 01:51 PM
The rupes seems like a must have tool especially as a career, I'm going to get one eventually but I use the griots 6 converted to a smaller size and it works but not perfect. I think there is that thin line between as a job or as a hobbyist / weekend warrior.

DaveT435
11-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Y'all that have a PE8 and a ibird, do you feel you still need the PE8, or do you feel the Ibird can completely replace the PE8?

DaveT435
11-08-2016, 02:13 PM
I agree, but I've been wanting a smaller tool to get in the tight areas since I started detailing. I thought that's what I was getting with the PE8...but it turned out being a pretty bulky machine. I've wanted one of these things since they were first introduced. Finally got one! I haven't used it yet, but to this point it's met or exceeded my expectations.
I guess when I sell the PE8 I won't be out a lot of money.

Heisenberg
11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
I stopped using my GG6 with the 3 inch backing plate almost entirely. That's how smooth and easy to use the Nano is.

I'm saving a few dollars here and there to buy a Rupes mini - I just don't like vibration with my polishers anymore. I don't do this for a living but I have never even come close to regretting my purchase; the ease and convienience of having 1-2'' pads has paid for itself time and time over already.

DaveT435
11-08-2016, 04:22 PM
I stopped using my GG6 with the 3 inch backing plate almost entirely. That's how smooth and easy to use the Nano is.

I'm saving a few dollars here and there to buy a Rupes mini - I just don't like vibration with my polishers anymore. I don't do this for a living but I have never even come close to regretting my purchase; the ease and convienience of having 1-2'' pads has paid for itself time and time over already.

Is it a little light on power? Just curious why your buying a Mini, sounds like I might want to keep my PE8. I'm going to either buy a Rupes 15 Mark II or the new Flex Long throw next. Might possibly sell my 3401, although I do like the way that machine powers through everything!