PDA

View Full Version : Poilishing ? black truck

wncmatthew
11-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, im new to this forum and have been detailing for about a year.....I just bought a black used 2014 ram 2500......it has the typical scratches from washing and some scratches from tree limbs and other minor stuff.......I wanna do a polish but not sure where to start ( chemical guys v32,34,36,38) with orange pad......I would think it would be a hard paint......but if anyone could give some advice that would be great!!!! Thanks

wncmatthew
11-07-2016, 09:36 AM
And I've noticed looking at the paint....it's like wavey kinda, but the bed is like looking into a mirror....what would fix this wavy look if anything, it's kinda hard to describe or is that normal ???

explorerlyon
11-07-2016, 09:39 AM
I just detailed my F-150, Tuxedo Black paint over the weekend. I tried 3D Speed for the first time, using a white lake country ccs pad. I used an orange pad in a few places for a little more correction. I topped with Collinite 885-Fleetwax Paste for winter protection. I loved the results and was impressed. I taped off all the plastic (f-150 has a lot of it), but got 3D Speed on the plastic in a couple places and had minor staining, that cleaned off with some all purpose cleaner and elbow grease.

Aether
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Even if you think it's hard paint, try a test spot starting with V36. If it gets desirable results stick with it; if not, move a step down. I personally haven't had a ton of luck removing deeper defects with the V compounds, but maybe I suck.

The wavy look you speak of is likely 'orange peel,' and it can be removed by wet sanding the clear coat flat then compounding/polishing out the sanding marks. Generally NOT recommended on factory paint jobs. Yes, it's pretty normal.

wncmatthew
11-07-2016, 09:50 AM
So I guess they call it a orange peel effect ( paint looks wavy ) it's weird how it's on the cab and not the bed ? Oh well looks like I got some serious detailing to do

Aether
11-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Do you have multiple orange pads? If not, you'll need to do a LOT of on-the-fly pad cleaning.

wncmatthew
11-07-2016, 10:00 AM
Is it possible to over polish using a dual action polisher? Using v32

Mantilgh
11-07-2016, 10:05 AM
The "waviness" may be just typical orange peel. Odd that bed doesn't have it but maybe they paint cab and beds at in different runs. Or maybe there were some defects that they caught at the factory and repainted some of it?

Just noticed you bought it used. Could have been wrecked at some point and repainted. Probably the more likely reason for the difference in the paint surface.

As for the paint correction, just try out some test spots with the combinations of the pads and polishes you have on hand.

With a possible repaint, you should do test spots on areas of each type of paint. One may be soft, the other hard. You won't really know until you try.

Good luck.