PDA

View Full Version : Sonax fine abrasive paste 5/4

mwoywod
11-06-2016, 02:25 PM
hey guys, I bought some Sonax fine abrasive paste 5/4 because it was half off it's regular price and I've hear alot of great things about sonax polishes. I work on alot of old classic cars with single stage lacquer pant. Most of them are repainted and alot of them have heavy orange peel. The picture I attached shows a panel I hand sanded with 1500 grit then 2500 grit. I tried the sonax compound (which looks alot like the consistency of m205) and immediately it turned into what appeared to be pure water. I used 3 pea sized drops and tried it on both a rotary and a DA. Both times it turned watery which is what is shown in the picture. There were actual water drops running down the paint. Does anyone have any experience with this polish? I've never seen this happen with a polish before.

While it was a complete mess to work with and splattered water everywhere, it did still appear to remove some of the sanding marks but at the same time was so watery you can see in the picture where it actually started running down the panel. Thanks guys!

BudgetPlan1
11-06-2016, 02:28 PM
I've had that happen when first using a pad I *thought* was completely dry and ready for use after cleaning it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

GSKR
11-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Did you shake it well could of been old.The new cut Max is awesome.working on a baked to death gelcoat rv.sanded real quick wool on gg6 cut max then speed on foam beautiful.

mwoywod
11-06-2016, 10:06 PM
Did you shake it well could of been old.The new cut Max is awesome.working on a baked to death gelcoat rv.sanded real quick wool on gg6 cut max then speed on foam beautiful.

I have developed a habit of shaking everything before using. Found myself shaking a box of shredded wheat before pouring a bowl of cereal.ha I've been really interested in Sonax cutmax. I'm curious how the wipeoff and work time are? I love speed on foam with my gg6 and have had great experiences with it on RV's, but I also have 3D renew-it polish for RV's and trailers which is pretty much the same as speed with less cut and even easier wipeoff (which is hard to believe). For compound I almost always reach for my Dewalt 849x simply because it's smooth and fast. I have a bunch of scholl's wool pads that I bought dirt cheap during that sale before permanently discontinuing the entire line. They are by far my favorite. I use that pad with m100 on cars and Britemax Promax compound on RV's due to it's oilly nature and super easy wipeoff.