PDA

View Full Version : Very dirty car (fall) and microfiber

RippyD
11-06-2016, 12:36 PM
This is really two or three questions, but they're all related. I'm looking for a better way to manage my MF towels especially when cleaning very dirty cars. This time of year my cars are going to be covered in road grime, ground up leaves, small twig pieces, etc. I generally use a house or pressure washer first. But some stuff is always hiding. And the wife works nights, so my pressure washer hours are limited due to noise.

The issue is debris getting into my MF towels. Once they get contaminated they're difficult to mange. I can't wash them with ones that aren't contaminated or the stuff gets distributed to the other towels. I can pre-clean them (which I do) but it's a long process to get debris off MF. Right now I have 2 categories of towels: ones for paint car that are in good shape and the ones I use for wheels, engine and other dirtier parts. My collection of the 2nd category is growing.

Is the answer to now use MF for washing? I prefer the Garry Dean method - maybe I need to go back to 2 bucket during fall.

Hoping I'm missing something. MF towel management keeping three cars relatively clean is becoming too much work.

Eldorado2k
11-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Pre washing your towels shouldn't take too long. What's your process?

What I do is quikly separate the towels that are the most soiled, then I put an oz. or 2 of car wash soap into my bucket with a grit guard and drop a towel in the bucket 1 by 1 and quikly agitate against the grit guard. Most of the heavy soil comes out fast and then I wring each towel out and into the washer they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LSNAutoDetailing
11-06-2016, 12:59 PM
I would just to 2bM with two or three of these: Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/rinseless-wash-mitt.html)

RippyD
11-06-2016, 01:04 PM
I would just to 2bM with two or three of these: Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/rinseless-wash-mitt.html)
I have two mitts. I can get more. Going back to 2 bucket and grit guards is an option. I have plenty of both.

RippyD
11-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Pre washing your towels shouldn't take too long. What's your process?

What I do is quikly separate the towels that are the most soiled, then I put an oz. or 2 of car wash soap into my bucket with a grit guard and drop a towel in the bucket 1 by 1 and quikly agitate against the grit guard. Most of the heavy soil comes out fast and then I wring each towel out and into the washer they go.
Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)
Dirty mf goes into a bucket with soap and grit guards. I try to get as much debris off as possible before they go in. I agitate and scrub them against the grit guard before they go into the washing machine. That's all fine.

The issue is ground up leaf, stem, twig, and other plant debris getting embedded in the MF. No amount of soaking or washing will get it out. It can be done, but it's painstaking work. Not sure how harmful this stuff is to paint, but it can't be good. There are some towels that I've just put in the trash. I don't have the time to try and decontaminate them.

Note: using the shorter-loop side of a towel helps as debris doesn't stick as much. But then dirt and other abrasives don't come off the paint as easily either.

Eldorado2k
11-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Wow that sounds pretty extreme. It sounds like instead of the pressure washer, you would be better off using a leaf blower to blow the leaves and debris off your vehicle prior to starting the wash.. Leafblower, Master Blaster Sidekick, even the blower port on your Shop Vac would work [I don't usually advise using the Shop.Vac to blow the car, but if it's as bad as you describe it can't hurt].

Setec Astronomy
11-06-2016, 02:50 PM
I think the answer is to change your wash media. "The Bone" and similar MF wash mitts don't hold on to as much leaf debris as a regular towel--I think that's your best option, at least for this time of year.

yg1829
11-06-2016, 02:58 PM
This is really two or three questions, but they're all related. I'm looking for a better way to manage my MF towels especially when cleaning very dirty cars. This time of year my cars are going to be covered in road grime, ground up leaves, small twig pieces, etc. I generally use a house or pressure washer first. But some stuff is always hiding. And the wife works nights, so my pressure washer hours are limited due to noise.

The issue is debris getting into my MF towels. Once they get contaminated they're difficult to mange. I can't wash them with ones that aren't contaminated or the stuff gets distributed to the other towels. I can pre-clean them (which I do) but it's a long process to get debris off MF. Right now I have 2 categories of towels: ones for paint car that are in good shape and the ones I use for wheels, engine and other dirtier parts. My collection of the 2nd category is growing.

Is the answer to now use MF for washing? I prefer the Garry Dean method - maybe I need to go back to 2 bucket during fall.

Hoping I'm missing something. MF towel management keeping three cars relatively clean is becoming too much work.
This is one of the reasons I switched to the BRS and the AG Rinseless mitt. I got tired of stuff sticking in wet microfiber towels.

Nothing sticks to the BRS and a close second is the Rinseless mitt. Fall garbage flushes off that pretty good.

It seems like you could get most everything off that causes problems with a garden hose. That way you can keep the noise down. Then do a rinseless wash or traditional wash with the sponge or mitt.

I only use the BRS for rinseless washes but that rinseless mitt AG sell works great for rinseless and traditional washing. Get a few of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RippyD
11-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Wow that sounds pretty extreme. It sounds like instead of the pressure washer, you would be better off using a leaf blower to blow the leaves and debris off your vehicle prior to starting the wash.. Leafblower, Master Blaster Sidekick, even the blower port on your Shop Vac would work [I don't usually advise using the Shop.Vac to blow the car, but if it's as bad as you describe it can't hurt].
In Portland, OR. This is a like a soaking wet amalgam of leaves and road grime. It's essentially gets stuck to the car. Hose will make a dent and get the big chunks off. Need a PW to get it all before washing.

And will give BRS a try. Reading that it's meant for one bucket. Don't think I can do that. Can't see putting all that dirt into my wash water.

Eldorado2k
11-07-2016, 03:26 AM
In Portland, OR. This is a like a soaking wet amalgam of leaves and road grime. It's essentially gets stuck to the car. Hose will make a dent and get the big chunks off. Need a PW to get it all before washing.

And will give BRS a try. Reading that it's meant for one bucket. Don't think I can do that. Can't see putting all that dirt into my wash water.

Wow I didn't know it was that bad.. It's crazy how down here people consider an increase in morning dew a huge turnoff but compared to what you're describing it's nothing. I feel for you and the rest of the people who have to deal with real weather.

RippyD
11-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Update: got a BRS. Seems work pretty well. I'm concerned about it holding dirt and scratching the crap out of my paint. So it's wipe, flip, wipe, rinse, soap, repeat. It's a longer, slower process, which is why I like the Garry Dean method using 57 MF towels to wash your car. So far so good. And I'm so worried about dirt I use 3 buckets. 2nd one with some soap to help get dirt out, then water + grit guards, then back into the soap. And because I still like MF towels for the less dirty parts, I had 4 buckets going. Not a sustainable process. I'll have to figure this out better.

Also got an Optimum blue waffle sponge, but haven't tried it yet. Feels soft. Will have to see how easily dirt comes out of it.

MattPersman
11-14-2016, 08:55 AM
The BRS is to be used with ONR which is supposed to in theory encapsulate the dirt and make it fall to the bottom of the bucket to not be worry some any longer. It's a system not saying you couldn't use the BRS with any other rinseless.

Before the BRS we were using grout sponges same principle really they just take the dirt internally in all the pores and bring it away from the surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RippyD
11-14-2016, 09:38 AM
The BRS is to be used with ONR which is supposed to in theory encapsulate the dirt and make it fall to the bottom of the bucket to not be worry some any longer. It's a system not saying you couldn't use the BRS with any other rinseless.
I read that. I used DG Rinseless since I already had it out. Seemed to work fine. Will try ONR next time.