PDA

View Full Version : How to mute the metallic flake?

Jeepdriver
11-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Ok, instead of the normal "How do I make it pop", I would like to go the opposite direction.

Have 2016 Jeep, Billet Silver Metallic.

In low light, nights, garage lights, cloudy days, it has a dull silver or gray look. Which I like.

But, when it is really bright and sunny and the sunlight is hitting it, you can really see the metallic flake, which is very glittery and sparkles and has many colors of the flakes (red, blue, purple, etc.). Is there a way to mute this metallic flake, so do not see the flakes as much when in direct sunlight? I have heard that some types of wax finishes will mute this metallic flake.

Thanks. Cheers.

FUNX650
11-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Lots of jibber-jabber about this...
but I am not aware of any LSP that
has actually shown it can do it.

•Carnauba Wax will "gray" after a
few weeks of wear & tear; will that
mute your metal flake enough to
satisfy your need? (Doubt abounds.)

IMO:
A re-spray, or a Matte Wrap, will be
your best bet in muting the flake...

Bob

BrutalNoodle
11-06-2016, 11:14 AM
IMO:
A re-spray, or a Matte Wrap, will be
your best bet in muting the flake...

Bob

I was thinking this. Not cheap by any means, but it will definitely yield the finish OP's looking for.

When people say mute, I think it's just lacking that extra spark. I don't think there's a paint protection that gets it to that degree, not unless you want to chemically dull the clear.

Ebg18t
11-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Have the Jeep sprayed with a matte clear coat. Or go get it dirty and don't wash it.

Mike Phillips
11-06-2016, 02:35 PM
You won't like it but...

3M Trizact #5000

Light touch - speed 4.5 on a PC

:)

FUNX650
11-06-2016, 04:35 PM
There are places that'll make you
most any style of contact lenses
you'd ever want...even ones that
will mute/(make things look cloudy):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_16054.JPG

:idea:

Speaking of flakes:
You may want to find out who made
this guy's contacts; surely his vision
was "clouded" when he met-up with
that flake of his.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/IMG_16122.JPG

Bob

Octopiston
11-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Plastidip or duplicolor custom wrap matte clear. You can peel it off if you don't like it.

WAXOFF
11-06-2016, 08:52 PM
Get off this forum and just neglect your Jeep. That's what about 85% of America does anyway. No seriously maybe a wax for black paint may tone it down a bit.

oldmodman
11-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Like Mike said. Knock down all the surface shine. Either by running through lots of "Tunnel of Death" washes or by abrading the surface smoothness away with, as he suggested, extremely fine wet sanding discs. You could also get a 3m abrasive foam surface prep pad to dull the surface.

There are also those "plasti-dip" style products that are now available in flat clear, semi gloss clear, and flatened clear whatever that is.

explorerlyon
11-07-2016, 09:44 AM
I used to use Zaino. It definitely muted the metallic flake on my Acura. I later switched to BFWD and the flakes popped again (which I wanted).

Desertnate
11-07-2016, 10:30 AM
I've seen similar effects on black metallic paint. I've noticed products designed to create a deep wet look tend to make flake pop less. Going over the same vehicle with some other sealants which create a glassy/candy coated look will enhance flake.

The best example I've seen is the difference between Ultimate Quik Wax and Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray. On the black metallic paint, UQW darkens the paint while leaving the finish with a deep wet appearance and the reflections of the flake aren't as procounced. Blackfire Wet Diamond on the same car creates a highly reflective look that makes the flake in the paint pop.

The differences are noticeable on dark colored or black metallic paint. On lighter colors like silver or gray with high metallic content I've not noticed the differences to be as noticeable.

JustJesus
11-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Pete's '53 from Chemical Guys. I tried this, alongside 4 others, at the same time. This was the only wax that looked a bit different on the metallic/flake black test hood on my Yaris. To me, it seemed to mute the flake (at least a bit)

Being a fellow Jeep owner, I'll be happy to send you a sample to try out. PM me your info if you're interested.