PDA

View Full Version : Black Car/Daily Driver/S. Florida Sun - is clear coat failure inevitable?

hooked
11-04-2016, 10:19 PM
I have a 2006 Black Honda Accord. It was garage kept for the first 5 years and I got into detailing to keep it looking good. But then we got a new car and the Accord was relegated to the driveway in the hot South Florida sun and rainy summers. I also lost my enthusiasm for detailing and it would get washed less and less frequently.

Now it has several spots of clear coat failure. It seem to come on rapidly this year too.

Is an outdoor kept car that is not maintained zealously destined to cc failure? I guess that the black paint is a factor too. I've had a couple of white cars before this and those did not have cc issues.

custmsprty
11-04-2016, 10:30 PM
I have a 2006 Black Honda Accord. It was garage kept for the first 5 years and I got into detailing to keep it looking good. But then we got a new car and the Accord was relegated to the driveway in the hot South Florida sun and rainy summers. I also lost my enthusiasm for detailing and it would get washed less and less frequently.

Now it has several spots of clear coat failure. It seem to come on rapidly this year too.

Is an outdoor kept car that is not maintained zealously destined to cc failure? I guess that the black paint is a factor too. I've had a couple of white cars before this and those did not have cc issues.

A Honda Accord is. They have some of the worst paint on any mid size sedan, followed by the Civic and Toyota Camry and Corolla. yeah, and black doesn't fair well.

My 2003 Nissan Xterra spent 12 years in the Florida sun and got sealed about every 9 months and washed occaisionally and had no cc failure when I traded it in in 2015. My buddy bought a 2010 Grey Civic Si and the cc failed in less than two years.

FUNX650
11-05-2016, 11:19 AM
Is an outdoor kept car that is not
maintained zealously destined to
cc failure?
Yes it is.

Sometimes CC will fail even if
the outdoor kept car is zealously
maintained...just takes a little
longer amount of exposure time
to do so.

•Stopping, or at least slowing down, the
effects of Entropy has been an ongoing
challenge of man vs. nature; the elements;
etc., since the...since the "very beginning".

Bob

BrutalNoodle
11-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I also lost my enthusiasm for detailing and it would get washed less and less frequently.

Sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky in a way that I really enjoy the hobby. Sometimes it's beyond enjoyment and becomes necessity, a short break from the grind; mentally regrouping. Many problems solved while detailing. A man's got to have his quiet time.

Getting back to dealing with exposure - maybe something like FK1000P every 4-6 months.