PDA

View Full Version : Clay vs nanoskin...

Pages : [1] 2

Bobbykart
11-04-2016, 09:32 PM
Gonna polish my vette tomorrow. Did a baggie test, need to remove the contaminants. I have never used the blue fine nanoskin in my arsenal. Should I stick with clay? Also, should I use ONR for a lube for either product?

coles_paint_correction
11-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Gonna polish my vette tomorrow. Did a baggie test, need to remove the contaminants. I have never used the blue fine nanoskin in my arsenal. Should I stick with clay? Also, should I use ONR for a lube for either product?

I too used my first nanoskin today on my g21 da and man it was perfect how good and fast it was done.
I'd say just go for it and make sure you have enough soap/water.

Mantilgh
11-04-2016, 09:56 PM
I say if you have not tried it, go for the nanoskin pad, mitt, sponge, or towel.

They tend to speed things up a bit.

Which did you get?

Not that it makes too much of a difference, except for the pad.
They take a lot of work out doing a really bad vehicle.

ONR is fine as a lube. I've used it at the rinseless dilution for claying. Optimum recommends 2oz per gallon.

TTQ B4U
11-04-2016, 10:03 PM
Love Nano's. I use the sponges with soapy water. Work great.

Bobbykart
11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
I got the fine blue sponge, I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Thanks guys, try to post pix after I'm done.

van185
11-04-2016, 10:19 PM
You will never go back to clay. I've used Nano for the past several years and have not touched a clay bar. It is so much quicker and the results are great. You will love it. I've tried several other similar products but the Nano is by far the best.

wing commander
11-05-2016, 12:28 AM
I use clay when I can feel the paint is contaminated without the baggie or just looking at the paint and it screams back at you (please clay me). Clay is really fun to show the customer all the hidden contaminates that are removed after the vehicle is supposedly clean. I will then use Nanoskin for follow up details or for people who do not need a visual about the condition and what the local car wash is not cleaning off the paint.

Jimmy Vegas
11-05-2016, 01:52 AM
What I like about using clay is seeing the contaminants picked up in clay. However, Nanoskin pads on my DA are a breeze to use and do a fantastic job.
Currently, I'm using the quick detailer that came with the Mothers Clay kit as lube for clay, and Glide for the Nanoskin.

However, I'll be mixing Uber Rinseless as clay lube for use the the BF poly clay I got on BOGO, and all clays moving forward.

SSStang
11-05-2016, 07:51 AM
I have used Nanoskin sponges and just feel like they don't remove the contaminates like clay.

Bobbykart
11-05-2016, 09:44 PM
UPDATE: I did panels using both clay & nanoskin sponge. Neither marred or induced scratchs that I saw
VERDICT: both were equally well in removing contaminants, I like being able to see the acumulated junk
On the clay bar, I was shocked. At how much was on just one door

wing commander
11-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Did you show it to your customer and watch the reaction on their face?

Zubair
11-06-2016, 03:23 AM
Clay works better.

Vegas1
11-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Recently tried the Fine Grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-speedy-prep-sponge-fine-grade.html). I had my doubts that this would perform just like a clay bar. Boy was I wrong. Works just as well as any clay bar I've used and without the folding and turning to keep it clean. The only time I had to switch to a regular clay bar, was when I needed a more aggressive grade.
A great time saver and if you drop it, just rinse it off and you are good to go.

mcate
11-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Had my 1st experience with my recently purchased fine grade sponge yesterday when I did my wife's car. I do the car twice a yr, so the paint is usually in pretty good shape. The fine sponge handled the minor contaminants with ease. I mixed the Glide 7:1 like the instructions said, but wasn't overly impressed. When I run out I'll probably go back mixing a few drops of car wash soap with water in a spray bottle.

Desertnate
11-07-2016, 08:52 AM
I mixed the Glide 7:1 like the instructions said, but wasn't overly impressed.

I too was really disappointed with Glide. And frankly, the Nanoskin too. No matter what ratio of Glide I tried, I never found it to be a very good lube. Despite what it says about working as a QD spray, it doesn't do that very well either.

I tried the Nanoskin blue sponge with Glide, several QD's, and my car wash solution, but found it would always mar far worse than traditional clay. After using it for a year or so I tossed it and went back to clay. Sadly I still have a nearly full bottle of Glide in my garage and no use for it.