PDA

View Full Version : Water ban and detailing process issues

Bill1234
11-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint. Now I have a water ban for my town....just great

My issues are
A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after ?
B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap?

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint and maybe even before Iron decon wheels, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?

JustJesus
11-04-2016, 07:27 PM
The rag company has youtube videos on some of those things you ask.

What i haven't found is, how to do an iron decon, when using ONR (!) - Hope somebody can answer that!

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-04-2016, 07:33 PM
I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint.

My issues are
A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after

Simply wash the vehicle again with ONR at rinseless dilution. It goes really quick. I am mobile and rinseless. I will rinseless wash a vehicle, clay it, then wash again quick. You can do this method over the whole car or a few panels at a time temperature dependent. If the car isn't really that bad, you just dry if you're using ONR as your clay lube.

B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap.

This is where it gets tricky if you have a complete ban. Assuming you're just maintaining your vehicles, keep your wheel cleaning brushes in a bucket with ONR. Pre soak the wheel with ONR from a Sprayer, use brushes to agitate, then wipe clean with MF cloths meant for wheel duty. Get a good pressurized sprayer and keep ONR at rinseless dilution in it. You can wipe your wells down with ONR moistened MF towel, then dry with another.

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?

Since you technically only need to decon paint in this way maybe a few times a year, a pay and spray will be your friend. Bring your rinseless wash setup with you.

If you have any more in depth questions, send me a message.

See bold.

GSKR
11-04-2016, 07:35 PM
I am a plenty experienced geek here and have never ran into the issue of a water ban. Usually I would follow the normal detailing process and then apply a sealent or something else. Its a new lease and I was going to wash it with Optimum no Rinse and then somehow try to iron decon it and then seal the paint.

My issues are
A. Never have really used ONR as a wash-more just a clay lube and quick detailer so how could I do this knowing im going to clay after
B. With wheels, how could I work through things knowing ill not be able to rinse after? I do have a gilmour sprayer so I might be able to get stuff from the house and not an outside tap.

After a "wash" I would want to iron decon the paint, how would I be able to do this with just ONR? Is it even possible?

You need plenty of water to fully rinse iron x,I would not take that chance even with a spray pump .

Bill1234
11-04-2016, 07:39 PM
You need plenty of water to fully rinse iron x,I would not take that chance even with a spray pump .

My thought on this. I am probably going to have to wait on that part.

Mantilgh
11-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Do you have a local DIY car wash near you? I think they have to reclaim their water.

Go at a time no one will be there and do the wheels and decon there first.

I have rinsed wheels with a garden sprayer and a rinsed out wheel brush. The brush, or some form of agitation, is needed to help remove the cleaner because of the low flow of water.

Mantilgh
11-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I think I read somewhere on here about how to do the iron decon if you are rinseless washing.

I believe it was something like spray very lightly and spread around with a sponge, or just spray on a sponge and spread around. I may be totally wrong and try at your own risk.

If you did do this, I would follow up with a good soaking rinseless wash or two. It would be a little less water conserving though.

Dmb5450
11-04-2016, 08:05 PM
The rag company has youtube videos on some of those things you ask.

What i haven't found is, how to do an iron decon, when using ONR (!) - Hope somebody can answer that!

In the link below, Mike mentions that you can use the McKees iron remover without rinsing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/104161-review-how-mckees-37-xtreme-iron-remover.html

Bill1234
11-04-2016, 08:10 PM
In the link below, Mike mentions that you can use the McKees iron remover without rinsing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/104161-review-how-mckees-37-xtreme-iron-remover.html

I have 3d bdx, so I think I might try wiping it down with an onr soaked wash mitt then wipe it all off with a microfiber, technically the same process, not the best, but the best I can do here in my situation

Mantilgh
11-04-2016, 08:17 PM
^That's the thread.

My memory fails me again.