PDA

View Full Version : How should I attack this?

ncogngro
11-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi all. I've been reading a lot of info on this site and have learned a lot. I have an '11 Fusion Sport with piano black paint. A few weeks ago, I drove to the GA Mountains and got pelted by bugs. I washed the bugs off using a MF bug pad. When doing so, I had left scratches on my hood(see pic). Most of the scratches look like that on the pic. My question is what is the best course of action should I use to get rid of them. I currently have Griot's BOSS fast correcting cream and also HD Polish. I would be using my NEW flex 3401 DA.

Thanks in advance.

***Update***Sorry no pic. Site would not let me upload pic.

rmagnus
11-04-2016, 04:23 PM
First welcome to AOL. I've never used the Boss fast correcting cream but I'd say start there with a polishing pad on the 3401. I'm assuming it's a polish not a compound. If that doesn't work and I bet it does. Follow with HD polish again on a polishing or finishing pad. Best to follow with some wax.

Make sure to keep the pads clean after every section or two.

ducksfan
11-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Boss Correcting Cream is a compound (probably best to check before giving advice). It's probably overkill for this situation. You should use a polish.

On a side note, this is why a lot of people use dedicated bug cleaners. You can usually remove bug remains with 'mild' agitation.

JustJesus
11-04-2016, 04:55 PM
...I'm assuming it's a polish not a compound. If that doesn't work and I bet it does. Follow with HD polish again on a polishing or finishing pad. Best to follow with some wax.

BOSS Fast Correcting is a heavy cut compound. BOSS Correcting Cream is compound, Their Perfecting Creme is a polish.

OP, it would be nice to see what the scratches look like. Keep trying.

ncogngro
11-04-2016, 05:03 PM
I was able to shrink my pic for the allotted size. I hope that this helps

Firehouse Mike
11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Use the HD polish first with a polishing pad. Always start least aggressive and move up if needed. Your Griots is a heavy compound, the HD polish should take care of them easily. (I have and use both regularly)

Mike

rmagnus
11-04-2016, 11:26 PM
I agree compound should be the last resort. As I indicated use a polish first with a polishing pad. If that doesn't work try a cutting pad with polish. You may also want to polish a test spot on your car because getting scratches with a MF bug pad is a little unusual.

You didn't mention pads but that is the other part of the equation and they both need to work together (polish & pads). If your uncomfortable using a polisher just do it by hand but you'll love working with the 3401.

TTQ B4U
11-05-2016, 12:13 AM
I was able to shrink my pic for the allotted size. I hope that this helps

Looks like Tuxedo Black Metallic. I just did the same car in that color. I owned one too. Use Meg's Ultimate Polish and an orange pad. you'll be fine.

ncogngro
11-05-2016, 01:18 AM
Looks like Tuxedo Black Metallic. I just did the same car in that color. I owned one too. Use Meg's Ultimate Polish and an orange pad. you'll be fine.

I stand corrected. It is Tuxedo Black. The pads that I have are B&S white and green polishing pads as well as lake country orange ccs pads.