PDA

View Full Version : Removing wax/sealant pads

FloridaSun
11-04-2016, 03:35 PM
I have a PC 7424 using 6.5" pads. What is the best Pad to remove wax and sealant after buffing?

oneheadlite
11-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Personally I've only heard of people using microfiber towels for removal of polish, wax, or sealants.

I know Griot's Garage sells a really thick foam pad meant to hold different bonnets for product removal; just a quick look on the Autogeek store digs up this:

Dual Action Microfiber Bonnet Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-bonnet.html)

I'm sure they work just fine, but when I had spoken to a Griot's rep on the phone, they recommended the bonnet system more if you had a disability vs just standard practice. With a microfiber by hand I feel you'd be much less likely to run into trouble if you pick up a stray piece of grit.

As modern waxes and sealants just keep getting better and better, the wipe-off step that used to be a pain in the... arm has gotten a lot easier. Also, as Mike Phillips has said - Thin is in! A thin application of product also makes life a lot easier during the removal step.

What wax/sealant and towels have you been using?

VISITOR
11-04-2016, 08:57 PM
apply a thin coat of your wax/sealant and it should easily wipe off, just make sure to use a clean/soft plush microfiber towel..

wing commander
11-05-2016, 01:05 AM
I have a PC 7424 using 6.5" pads. What is the best Pad to remove wax and sealant after buffing?

This is how I found Auto Geek. I was trying to hand compound a white single stage Sprinter van by hand. They are 9' tall and mine had no windows except in the front. I would still be trying to finish that job two years later if I did not call and place an order for the right products and advice from this forum.

Crispy
02-14-2017, 09:58 PM
You should use a microfiber or cotton bonnet over a soft pad.

They sell them everywhere.

Put it over the pad and using slow speed remove the wax.

I would follow up with hand buff.

dlc95
02-14-2017, 11:08 PM
This is how I found Auto Geek. I was trying to hand compound a white single stage Sprinter van by hand. They are 9' tall and mine had no windows except in the front. I would still be trying to finish that job two years later if I did not call and place an order for the right products and advice from this forum.

Right?!?!

��

Paul A.
02-14-2017, 11:31 PM
I tried the bonnets over a wool pad some years ago but found they loaded up with spent product too fast. I didn't last too long with them and quickly returned to a regular MF towel for removal.