PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Paint Guage Review

caudleej
11-03-2016, 07:50 PM
53286I purchased this cheap $20 paint gauge just for the heck of it and I am not sure what to think. Given the price, I wasn't expecting much but one thing I can say is that the readings seem to be consistent. I tested this sucker on my truck which has been only lightly polished a few times since it was new and I was a bit stunned at first. According to my guage the side panels in my truck have only 2 mils of paint. The bottom of the truck below the body line is reading at 1 mil. The roof averaged a reading of 3-4 mils and the hood at like 6 or 7 mils. I am hesitant to believe that my truck has 3 mils of paint in places and less consistantly on the others. If anything I feel like this truck should have more paint given it is a tri-coat color but maybe it could be just the opposite. I played around with it on some other vehicles and was receiving lower than expected readings with the exception of one that I new had been repainted which I got a few readings close to 9 mils.

Anyway i not trusting this thing right now because I know for a fact my truck has never had any paint work done other than what was done at the factory. I tested in door jambs and stuck it beween where the bed and cab meets and got 2 mil readings.

If if anybody has any input as to the thicknesses of paint specifically the ford tri coat colors I would appreciate it.

Firehouse Mike
11-03-2016, 08:06 PM
I would try to locate a body shop or fellow detailer in your area who has a high-end gauge and do some side by side comparisons to get an idea of it's accuracy. If its decent for $20 that is an awesome buy!!

Mike:xyxthumbs:

Crispy
11-03-2016, 08:39 PM
The more expensive gauges come with shims that are used to calibrate the gauge.

A spark plug feeler gauge is also good test.

If it is off the actual thickness at least it will be consitently off so you can calculate what it is ("calibrate").

oldmodman
11-04-2016, 04:12 AM
Wow!
That's even less expensive than the no longer available harbor freight meter. They were like 60 bucks.
Where did you find it?

Never mind. I found it, and a lot of other on Ebay. Some UNDER 10 Bucks!! Just typed in Paint Thickness Meter. All from ChinaInc.