PDA

View Full Version : Selling house - what to do with garage queen or valuable assets

LSNAutoDetailing
11-03-2016, 01:12 PM
I post this question here because we're all a bit OCD on the AGO. We wouldn't be here if we weren't. We love our cars, we love polshing, waxing, detailing, etc, and that's why we're here.

We're selling the house in the spring. We want to welcome all realtors and their potential buyers (and kids).
With that, we have our garage queen (which is in show-car competition ready condition). The car doesn't see inclement weather and is garaged mostly 10 months out of the year...
We also have have a small music studio, some boutique guitar amps and guitars etc, which I can put in storage, but it's the garage queen that can't easily be tossed in storage.

I've been googling on-line and have been reading some real horror stories... kids just going willy nilly unsupervised in peoples homes... All it takes is one accident.
We all know a thousand "I'm sorry's" doesn't undo a gash/scratch in a competition ready vehicle, or broken Les Paul Custom.

So what do you guys do with your valuable assets (i.e. family treasures, musical equipment, guitars/drums, detailing equipment and gear, etc) and in my case the garage queen during the showings and open houses? Like I said, all realtors, families and children are welcome... excluding anyone will not be good for sales.

GSKR
11-03-2016, 02:50 PM
Best person too ask would be a realestate person,I'm sure they run into a lot of situations like the one your presented with.

WAXOFF
11-03-2016, 03:04 PM
I would rent a storage unit for a month or so.

OptimumAutoSpa
11-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Cover it. If it's in the garage then they can take a peek... there's no real reason to explore a garage for a potential buyer.

LSNAutoDetailing
11-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Cover it. If it's in the garage then they can take a peek... there's no real reason to explore a garage for a potential buyer.

You'd think... but it's part of the house. It's under attached.
Don't do covers... don't like the marring. I have a neighbor who is OCD about his motorcycles and said I can put it there.

Sizzle Chest
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Pauly! I'd move it man. Neighbors or a storage facility. That way you can sleep easy bro! And to some people, the garage is the most important space...but I'm a nut job!!!!

OptimumAutoSpa
11-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Pauly! I'd move it man. Neighbors or a storage facility. That way you can sleep easy bro! And to some people, the garage is the most important space...but I'm a nut job!!!!

I agree... but if I have my car in the garage I would assume the buyer didn't have to see what's under the hood. They're more than welcome to take a look, kids stay away.

Coopers ST
11-03-2016, 03:43 PM
The amps and guitars I would pack away. Cases and boxes. Nobody is going to open a case or box. The car...move it to the center of the garage so there is plenty of room to walk around all sides of it to see all of the garage, or to a friends neighbors for the showing.
A year and half ago we sold our house and moved. We came home after a showing and one of my kids came up and asked if I knew where all her lego people went to (about 25). I said no, my other kid came up and said someone rebuilt one of her lego boats. That told me the showing had kids, and they played unsupervised, and stole my kids lego people. I called my realtor told her she has 25 minutes to have everything replaced and fixed before the police were called. 10 minutes later I called the showing realtor. Sorrys don't cut it to a broken hearted 7 year old. Long story short, the kids hid the lego people, we found everything and they bought our house.

motion732
11-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Maybe some small barriers around the car - makeshift gates with string or something with a sign that says "DO NOT TOUCH". Also, maybe install a NEST camera (or something similar) that stays focused on the car.

WaxMaster1
11-03-2016, 04:39 PM
I've sold 3 houses by owner and showed them myself each time. The last house I had needed to be marketed by someone. I was at the house for each showing. I too have the guitars, amps, drum kit(s) and my Porsche was in the garage as well as my Harley

jcaustin87
11-03-2016, 08:33 PM
I have enough cameras in the last house we sold, I pretty much watched every showing.... My new neighbors had a necklace stolen during an open house. the young daughter just started going through the drawers in the bathroom.... the nerve!

I dont have a perfect answer for you, but I'd be looking at moving it someplace temporarily, perhaps borrowing a closed trailer from a friend who has one?

and I would definitely pair down your studio and have your important studio and guitars off prem. In case someone uses an open house to scout your place.

Ebg18t
11-16-2016, 12:36 PM
We are in a similar boat, selling one house & buying another 2000 miles away. We moved some thing's to our spare house and some things to a climate controlled storage unit. Around me you can rent a climate controlled unit for $350-500/ month depending on size.

Unfortunately I don't trust people.