PDA

View Full Version : Review of Flex XC3401 VRG

Pages : 1 [2] 3

wytstang
11-08-2007, 01:20 PM
No your not lol the good thing is my $$ is tied up for bit so I can resist the urge (actually don't have a choice, she said so lol)

vindicator
11-10-2007, 11:44 AM
I am new to the pc and I got it because they said it is foolproof (good for novices) and would not cause the paint to burn like a rotary. My questions- is this just a stronger version of the pc? Is it a DA, the flex site does not say. Would a novice like me who used the PC once so far be able to use this ( is it as safe as the pc). I guess you can't use edge pads with this one just lc pads. This sounds great and I would like to get one.
Your advice would be appreciated,
Thanks, Vinny

FMINUS
11-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Excellent review! One of my gripes before reading your review was the backing plate. I thought it only supported the lager plate and therefore, 6.5 or bigger pads. I love my 5.5 inch pads, so that was a deal breaker for me. How were you able to acquire a smaller backing plate for free, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again for taking the time to write up and post the review.

Pete

I had the same issue regarding the flex. I use only 5.5 and smaller pads. Flex will be coming out with a 5.25 backing plate in a couple of weeks

MikeyC
11-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I am new to the pc and I got it because they said it is foolproof (good for novices) and would not cause the paint to burn like a rotary. My questions- is this just a stronger version of the pc? Is it a DA, the flex site does not say. Would a novice like me who used the PC once so far be able to use this ( is it as safe as the pc). I guess you can't use edge pads with this one just lc pads. This sounds great and I would like to get one.
Your advice would be appreciated,
Thanks, Vinny
Basically, this machine is like a stronger version of the PC as both are orbitals. The Flex also has forced rotation though. With the PC the pads spins as a by-product of the orbitting motion. It's not motivated by the machine's motor. With the Flex the machine's motor is pushing the pad to spin up to 480 RPM IIRC.

I am also thinking of buying a Flex myself as I have been looking for a way to cut down my polishing time. Originally, I was thinking about a rotary, but this machine scares me much less. I am also an Edge pad user and had emailed Aaron to see if there's anyway I can continue to use my Edge pads with the Flex. He's looking into it.

redg35
11-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Great write up and i have recieved the new backing plate and it is just a hair over 5"

Tonya
11-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Wolfpacker92 that was very informative! Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us! :D

ZoranC
11-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Great write up and i have recieved the new backing plate and it is just a hair over 5"
That is not a new plate. It is a temporary plate. Final design (so I hear) is supposed to be 5.5".

POPPAJ
11-11-2007, 10:19 AM
That is not a new plate. It is a temporary plate. Final design (so I hear) is supposed to be 5.5".

Just wanted to thank you for all your input/opinions on the Flex,just in case you disappear. Been watching the Flex postings on various sites and am most impressed. Will pick one up in the spring after my tax refund. In the meantime, I added a $30 HF rotary to my growing collection along with LC pads and a flexible bp. Must have lucked out, no holograms, burns or J's on the wifes minivan that haden't been touched in three years.

What seems to be the best place to pick up a Flex these days?

Thanks ALL!

redg35
11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Just wanted to thank you for all your input/opinions on the Flex,just in case you disappear. Been watching the Flex postings on various sites and am most impressed. Will pick one up in the spring after my tax refund. In the meantime, I added a $30 HF rotary to my growing collection along with LC pads and a flexible bp. Must have lucked out, no holograms, burns or J's on the wifes minivan that haden't been touched in three years.

What seems to be the best place to pick up a Flex these days?

Thanks ALL!
Hopefully ag will get on board with it as this is going to be the machine to use for people who dont want to take the chance of using a rotary.

m4gician
11-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Hopefully ag will get on board with it as this is going to be the machine to use for people who dont want to take the chance of using a rotary.

I first saw this on another forum and I was hoping there would be a review on this, and guess what I'm buying myself for Christmas? :).

The Flex alongside the UDM will be my ultimate amateur polishing combo.

m4gician
11-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Is Menzerna more of a match with the flex vs. the UDM? How do other polishes work with it if you've gotten a chance to try it? I have the PB line, and I was thikning about adding optimum (on sale) as well as trying out Menz, should I leave optimum aside and order me SIP, 106ff and maybe PG?

How has breakdown and final results come out using the polishes you've tried?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
11-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I am also going to get a flex in the spring... SOO if AG decides ro start carrying it I can maybe get it from them??

Is Menzerna more of a match with the flex vs. the UDM? How do other polishes work with it if you've gotten a chance to try it? I have the PB line, and I was thikning about adding optimum (on sale) as well as trying out Menz, should I leave optimum aside and order me SIP, 106ff and maybe PG?

Menzerna works great on pc/udm and works just as well on flex. If you are starting from square one on polishes I would get the Menzerna Trio (PG/SIP/106ff) and you should be prepared for quite a bit of conditions.

Don't get me wrong Optimum is a great line, but Menzerna is top superb..maybe get some of the Optimum Polish to add to the pad while using Menzerna to help reduce dusting and also to help menzerna calm down when it gets fussy.

redg35
11-12-2007, 05:58 PM

How has breakdown and final results come out using the polishes you've tried?
Imo i never really liked how the pc/udm broke down menzerna,but with the flex it breaks down very easily and the pc/udm finish dosent come close to the flex,s.

m4gician
11-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Imo i never really liked how the pc/udm broke down menzerna,but with the flex it breaks down very easily and the pc/udm finish dosent come close to the flex,s.

You should start selling these, because you convinced me what my christmas gift is going to be.

budman3
11-14-2007, 03:31 PM

It seems that a lot of people forget that Menzerna is made for a rotary ... which is why it doesn't work with a PC / UDM because it simply doesn't have the speed / heat to properly break down the polishes.