PDA

View Full Version : Nood: When and why to use an iron remover

Foam cannon
11-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Hey guys and gals. I'm still pretty new and I've seen a lot about iron removers lately. Can you give me so reasoning behind using them. How would I know when I need one?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mantilgh
11-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Here's a quote from Mike P on it.

"The benefit this approach offers is,

IF there are any iron particles in your car's paint you will dissolve and remove them chemically with the Iron-X instead of abrading and pulling them out with clay and then potentially instilling swirls and scratches into the paint because now you have iron particles embedded into the clay that you're rubbing all over the paint.

Iron X = Insurance Policy
In my opinion, doing an Iron-X treatment to paint that you've never worked on before is a good idea, it's like an insurance policy. You buy insurance to protect ourself but you hope you never need it.

You use Iron-X JUST IN CASE there's any iron particles in the paint but you actually hope that there's not.

It's better to use Iron-X and NOT see the spray turn red than it is to see the spray turn read. Think about it, if it turns red that means there was iron particles in the paint, that's a bad thing. If it doesn't, it's whew... I got lucky."

parshooter
11-02-2016, 09:26 AM
And on a new car?

Foam cannon
11-03-2016, 05:14 PM
No sir. 2010 hhr

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
11-03-2016, 06:21 PM
And on a new car?

Not sure if the above is referencing as to if you'd see a difference on a NEW car but the answer is yes. I do a number of new car preps and only can I see the deposits but I use Iron X regularly and on new cars where I see it most often impact is on the hood, roof and deck-lid areas. especially noticeable on cars that have been sitting on the dealer lot for a while.

Crispy
11-29-2016, 10:30 PM
As has been mentioned many times do a test spot.

Do a horizontal surface as they get the majority of stuff.

If it bleeds it needs, if it does not then save the product for your wheels (they always need it).

ntwillie1
11-29-2016, 10:39 PM
We just took delivery of a brand new 2017 Subaru yesterday. It was on order for over 12 weeks and finally arrived. As soon as I got home (10 mile ride) I washed the car and then used iron-x on it. I did not see any purple drip at all. The paint was in excellent shape. I iron-x'd it anyway but didn't need to. i just did it as a safety measure before proceeding w my detail.

CarlP2
12-20-2016, 02:47 PM
As has been mentioned many times do a test spot.

Do a horizontal surface as they get the majority of stuff.

If it bleeds it needs, if it does not then save the product for your wheels (they always need it).

Will IronX damage or stain trim, glass, or anything else? Should I be careful to only let it touch paint?

RaydiantDetail
12-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Will IronX damage or stain trim, glass, or anything else? Should I be careful to only let it touch paint?

Probably everything you need to know right here: https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-iron-x-500ml-16-oz/
And then some ;)

CarlP2
12-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Probably everything you need to know right here: https://www.carpro-us.com/paint-decontamination/carpro-iron-x-500ml-16-oz/
And then some ;)

Yeah, that answered my question, and several more. Thanks for that.

VISITOR
12-20-2016, 08:59 PM
if you use an iron remover, it will make the claying process a little easier as well...