PDA

View Full Version : Wife's new Ford edge: few exterior questions

MrOneEyedBoh
11-02-2016, 01:27 AM
So it's a pearl white paint and I noticed it has some exterior plastics. I'd like to keep it decent. After all were on AGO.. LOL.

I have tons of waxes and sealants here to use. Power Lock, WGDGPS, Collinite 845/476, Fuzion, Meg's yellow wax, SwissVax, Polymer net shield and I think that's all. Problem with white cars is seeing where you applied and stopped. Hence why I'm staying away from coatings and sticking with sealants.

Also on the exterior plastics, all I have that would work would be PERL. But my experience with it exterior wise is that it runs when it gets wet. Maybe I did it wrong? I use it on tires and love it.

So what y'all thinking on a sealant and that exterior plastic?

Oh lastly I see the dealer put some silicone tire dressing on the tires. Any tips on how to strip it?

spewking
11-02-2016, 05:36 AM
DLux on plastic.
Tuf Shine cleaner on tires. Check out the dressing too.

GSKR
11-02-2016, 05:53 AM
Out of all those waxes and sealants for durability wise collinite.manual scrub the silicone off the tires.for trim gtech,easier for new people and last a pretty long time.Dlux is great also just make sure to apply very little at a time don't overapply the liquid in one area.

MarkD51
11-02-2016, 06:37 AM
I'll agree too with a product such as CP DLX.

Cash outlay is of course a little more up front, but cheap in the long run. Plus the benefit of much longer protection and less wear and tear on you, since I'll assume you'll be the person having to keep up this new vehicle.

PERL's a very nice product, but doesn't last long, and nowhere near as long as DLX will.

Since DLX is a durable coating, I believe there's no problem coming behind with a liked detailer-topper type product if you feel the need to use one further down the road.

CP Reload is such a product, and I commonly come behind with this product on any-all DLX treated trim with great results.

The beauty of DLX, it's a crystal clear product, so no problem if the trim is a color other than black.

MarkD51
11-02-2016, 06:45 AM
WGDGPS and Powerlock will most likely edge Collinite 476-845 if you're after the highest, dripping wet candy apple reflective shine, that the 2 Colly products will give a slightly warmer look. Still, a freshly done paint with Collinite does look awesome.

As for longevity for upcoming winter? Tough to say which of the 3 would last and protect the longest, but I might put my money on Collinite #476.

Never tried Swissvax, but have heard great things about it, that it was quite durable also

Also agreed with the Tuf Shine kit. Again a product which will outlast many others.

Desertnate
11-02-2016, 08:42 AM
For the sealant, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices. I've used 845 and seriously considered using all of the others on your list. I simply don't go through stuff fast enough.

How are you applying the LSP? I think using a DA would be a big help in your situation. Applying product to an entire panel at a time with a DA would ensure good, even coverage and you wouldn't have to worry as much about not being able to see where you left off or missing spots.

As for exterior plastic trim, I'm a big fan of Blackfire's Total Trim and Tire Sealant. It doesn't run, easy to apply, and lasts for months in my climate. Another plus for the product is a little goes a long way. I've been using the same 4oz bottle to treat two cars for a couple years at this point and I still have plenty left over. You don't need to use nearly as much as they recommend on the product description.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
11-02-2016, 09:13 AM
So it's a pearl white paint and I noticed it has some exterior plastics. I'd like to keep it decent. After all were on AGO.. LOL.

I have tons of waxes and sealants here to use. Power Lock, WGDGPS, Collinite 845/476, Fuzion, Meg's yellow wax, SwissVax, Polymer net shield and I think that's all. Problem with white cars is seeing where you applied and stopped. Hence why I'm staying away from coatings and sticking with sealants.

You would technically only see where you stopped if you actually stopped somewhere in the paint versus going all the way to the trim. Curious as to how you drew your conclusion on this.

Also on the exterior plastics, all I have that would work would be PERL. But my experience with it exterior wise is that it runs when it gets wet. Maybe I did it wrong? I use it on tires and love it.

So the big part with PERL is that it needs to be cured before it gets wet. At least a few hours, but i prefer overnight. Are you diluting 1:3 and applying thin? A little really goes a long way with PERL.

So what y'all thinking on a sealant and that exterior plastic?

I have never personally used Sonax PNS on plastic, but don't see what you can't use it if you're not looking to spend money on something else. I use CarPro Reload on trim with no issue. If you were looking for something specific to trim, I would recommend CarPro DLux trim coating or Ultima Tire & Trim Guard. Dlux is so easy to use and all you need to worry about is just washing the car properly.

Oh lastly I see the dealer put some silicone tire dressing on the tires. Any tips on how to strip it?

What type of cleaners do you have? Degreaser? DO you have a specific tire cleaner on hand?

See answers in bold.

MrOneEyedBoh
11-02-2016, 10:57 AM
I dont want to use coatings as Im afraid of high spots, missing sections etc. I dont mind throwing a sealant on it twice a year...

I have used PERL and at 1:3. It seems to dew up at night here in Md a lot so maybe thats the issue? I love it on my tires though.

I have used Dlux on my f250 mirror's plastic and It spotted. I wont use it again. And its spotted from water drops. It dried about a week before it saw rain... Maybe my batch was bad?

I have Meg's APC in gallon concentrate

Also whats decent to use on these leather seats? I have KR leather in my truck, so a different approach is made but her old car was like cloth I guess so just vacuuming went forward and folex to clean.

Tempest45
11-02-2016, 01:43 PM
I believe Wolfgang and Powerlock can be used on plastics.