PDA

View Full Version : Help picking a good swirl remover/polisher...

Z06-Goose
03-11-2006, 08:18 PM
There are some great products out there that are awesome as swirl remover and polishers. With the understanding that some of them will only work best when machined buffed; which swirl remover and/or polisher is the best to use by hand?
I plan on getting a PC eventually, but for now I need to remove some fine swirls that can be seen if looked from the right angle/light source.
I have a sample of Wolfang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant and another well-known paint sealant to try out, and I want to make sure my paint surface is free of swirls so that the it will shine better after applying the sealant.

Remember, the criteria here is that it must be the most effective polisher/swirl remover you can get/use right now by hand.
Anybody here has a regimen they use for this? -Suggestions?
Thanks in advance...

ScottB
03-11-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm not going to lie to you ... I have never seen anything that will remove or reduce swirls by hand. Its not the polish, its the fact that the hand cannot replicate the speed and motion. Until you pick up the buffer, I would highly suggest a paint cleaner --- a glaze (fills and hides swirls temporarily) -- and a carnuba.

Z06-Goose
03-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm not going to lie to you ... I have never seen anything that will remove or reduce swirls by hand. Its not the polish, its the fact that the hand cannot replicate the speed and motion. Until you pick up the buffer, I would highly suggest a paint cleaner --- a glaze (fills and hides swirls temporarily) -- and a carnuba.Thanks. I was affraid of that. I was hoping something like Poorboys may do the trick.
Question for you though; you can put together a Porter Cable Kit to include at least 3 of each foam pads to properly do a complete paint detail, can't you?
I'll also be interested in adding some quality polish/swirl remover that can do the job the first time.
I've seen the PC package you offer, but wanted some Menzerna or Klasse equivalent polish quality or anything you can highly recommend.
BTW, of the kits that you offer, I like the Poorboy's kit shown here...http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

Miami_Sunset
03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
hhhmmm.. interesting.. a custom Kit.. I would love that idea with products I want.

ScottB
03-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks. I was affraid of that. I was hoping something like Poorboys may do the trick.
Question for you though; you can put together a Porter Cable Kit to include at least 3 of each foam pads to properly do a complete paint detail, can't you?
I'll also be interested in adding some quality polish/swirl remover that can do the job the first time.
I've seen the PC package you offer, but wanted some Menzerna or Klasse equivalent polish quality or anything you can highly recommend.
BTW, of the kits that you offer, I like the Poorboy's kit shown here...http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html

http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html

I suspect this is the kit you are suggesting, and I offer it to the corvetteforum twice weekly. This kit truly is everything needed to get going with detailing minus some car soap. If you want to design a package or kit piece-meal, I highly suggest calling and speaking to Jason. (the buffers are not discounted, so might be cheaper to buy unit alone, and then some other kits or ala carte to get discount).

Now please all understand, I am NOT saying Jason will design and impliment a package for you at discount. He might be able to help you put together your needs in one order. I highly suggest two cutting pads and two finishing pads minimum along with a flexible backing plate. (Initial kit is awesome in design as adds two while pads also)

As to polishes ... if you are new to them, then I highly suggest Optimum Polish. It has a little bit of a learning curve to previous polishers as it works much longer than a normal polish. The other package I highly suggest is Poorboys SSR 2.5/1.0 as a combo. The 2.5 is great for polishing swirls and marring, and the 1.0 j e w e l s the surface afterwards to a diamond like status. With Optimum you can use the same polish or 1.0 as necessary with finishing pad to j e w e l the surface also. Megs DACP #83 is still also a worthy polish for beginner or professional alike.

MasterShineBoy
03-11-2006, 10:39 PM
hhhmmm.. interesting.. a custom Kit.. I would love that idea with products I want.

That would be cool, but I don't see AG wanting to discount each and every product in the package. Many of the kits are good enough that no other purchase is really needed! Like the Optimum Kit

SVTContour
03-20-2006, 10:25 PM
I currently use Mother's Powerpolish and I feel it is great for a beginner like me. How do you feel it compares to the Optimum and Poorboy's polishes?

cwcad
03-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Power Polish is a good cleaner product. It is pad dependant. It is able to clear up minor marring and swirls. Used with the right pad and proper speed and technique it will do a nice job for anyone.

I would put in in between KAIO and PB ProPolish as far as aggressiveness. KAIO is less aggressive than ProPolish.

ScottB
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I currently use Mother's Powerpolish and I feel it is great for a beginner like me. How do you feel it compares to the Optimum and Poorboy's polishes?

consider stepping up to Optimum (it works together and also pad dependent) or the Poorboys combo 2.5 and 1.0 SSR. You will be happy with the results and very user friendly.

SVTContour
03-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Killrwheels, I am going to consider stepping up to Optimum or the Poorboy's combo.

Is there anything that you can tell me about them that would convince me that they are better than Powerpolish? The reason I ask is because Powerpolish is the only polish I have used in the short time I have owned a PC.

Detail_Guy
03-21-2006, 07:30 PM
When used with a PC, powerpolish is a light to light-moderate polish at best... a decent one, but light to mild nonetheless.

With Poorboy's, and I guess with Optimum (haven't used them) you can get a product that is a bit more aggressive to start with.