PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the shine on our first new to us camper (gel coat)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

solar07
11-16-2016, 03:14 PM
I have been using Soft Water for 40ish years and never an issue on anything. I may not run it into the filter but the other way around if you insist on the filter.

Dave

What is your process for washing/drying? Not sure what you meant here: I may not run it into the filter but the other way around if you insist on the filter.

davidc
11-16-2016, 06:20 PM
What is your process for washing/drying? Not sure what you meant here: I may not run it into the filter but the other way around if you insist on the filter.

Here in Az. it is usually around 5:00am total wash then dry, nothing special except the time as the Sun and heat get pretty intense. By the other way around I meant to filter the water into the softener. Of course with your filter that would require a portable softener.

Dave

Thenissanguy
11-19-2016, 02:58 AM
very excited to see how this turns out

solar07
11-20-2016, 11:06 AM
very excited to see how this turns out

Me too. I was intrigued by something this weekend. I bought some products to hopefully remove mold on the caulk (if anyone has some ideas let me know). So far those Mr. Clean erasers are working decent. I have some stuff called spray and forget that I use on the vinyl siding of my house when any sort of mold/algae decides to pop up in shaded areas. Oddly I tried some of this stuff on my camper caulk and the next day I noticed the gel coat near the caulking was so shiny and new looking I could not even believe it. I even tried to wipe it off with a wash and it is remaining shiny and clean in that one spot. I dare wonder this, but it almost seems as if the spray and forget ate away the oxidation. I do not even know if this is possible or how to really verify.

Could you imagine haha....

davidc
11-20-2016, 12:42 PM
If spray and forget does what you think it will be a gold mine.

Dave

Craddock
12-01-2016, 10:19 AM
I have many dozens of rvs running around with what I assume is the "liquid" your detailer applied. Properly applied it will last a coue years with a recoat that is very simple. Usually I put 6 coats on. The time is all in prep. Coats go quick. You will need to remove this coating if youbwant to go away from this fix. I have buffed boats and rvs for years and yes, I still do coat sometimes instead. It has its place and makes cleaning a joke. Bugs slide off. Textured gelcoat like some swim platforms I even use it. My mother has it on her 90's rv that was florida baked. Two years traveling and it still looks and cleans unbelieve. It could be considered a bandaid but it has its place. I do a lot of them this way. Especially for consigment stuff. I actually think for owners in AZ or FL that will never wax it may be a better option. Certainly faster and I get very good margins. I do both buffing and coating for some loval dealers, depending on situation.

Anyway, to remover go get some zep floor stripper. It will remove the product much easier than any other method. Then you can follow Mike and Jeffs advice to restore gelcoat.

Thenissanguy
12-05-2016, 09:17 PM
any updates on this?

mrlinh15
12-12-2016, 11:02 PM
thank you :)

solar07
12-13-2016, 01:20 PM
I have many dozens of rvs running around with what I assume is the "liquid" your detailer applied. Properly applied it will last a coue years with a recoat that is very simple. Usually I put 6 coats on. The time is all in prep. Coats go quick. You will need to remove this coating if youbwant to go away from this fix. I have buffed boats and rvs for years and yes, I still do coat sometimes instead. It has its place and makes cleaning a joke. Bugs slide off. Textured gelcoat like some swim platforms I even use it. My mother has it on her 90's rv that was florida baked. Two years traveling and it still looks and cleans unbelieve. It could be considered a bandaid but it has its place. I do a lot of them this way. Especially for consigment stuff. I actually think for owners in AZ or FL that will never wax it may be a better option. Certainly faster and I get very good margins. I do both buffing and coating for some loval dealers, depending on situation.

Anyway, to remover go get some zep floor stripper. It will remove the product much easier than any other method. Then you can follow Mike and Jeffs advice to restore gelcoat.

What is the coating you speak of? It is winter here now and everything is in the barn.

No update yet. I just received my needed products to start polishing in the coming weeks. Seeing the results of the spray and forget I am a little unsure as to how to proceed. In test spots it is doing something remarkable. Question is, how will it hold up or will it cause any harm?

Thenissanguy
12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
What is the coating you speak of? It is winter here now and everything is in the barn.

No update yet. I just received my needed products to start polishing in the coming weeks. Seeing the results of the spray and forget I am a little unsure as to how to proceed. In test spots it is doing something remarkable. Question is, how will it hold up or will it cause any harm?

Its called the zep treatment .....

Craddock
12-13-2016, 05:42 PM

I was under impression we couldn't mention other products not sold here. Try to respect that. Poliglow and vertglass have uv inhibitors. I have used them all. On my personal boat I use it just below water line as we have a lake with very stained water. No wax or sealent will allow hull to be washed off without Muratic acid. I clean hulls on 19 ft boats for $200. Almost $100/hr but caustic ####. The coating is amazing with this water.

I buy compounds for gel in bulk containers not sold on here so I will not discuss that. Auto geek doesnt sell a vertglass or poli glow type product so I think it was ok to answer

LydiaGP
12-13-2016, 05:48 PM

As in, ZEP High Traffic Floor Finish?

davidc
12-13-2016, 08:23 PM
I remember a few years ago on a RV site the rage was Red Devil floor wax and people were raving about it. With in 6 months the Red Devil started peeling and the posts went from raves to how do i get this stuff off as my RV looks terrible. People do some strange things.

Dave

solar07
12-13-2016, 10:38 PM
I was under impression we couldn't mention other products not sold here. Try to respect that. Poliglow and vertglass have uv inhibitors. I have used them all. On my personal boat I use it just below water line as we have a lake with very stained water. No wax or sealent will allow hull to be washed off without Muratic acid. I clean hulls on 19 ft boats for $200. Almost $100/hr but caustic ####. The coating is amazing with this water.

I buy compounds for gel in bulk containers not sold on here so I will not discuss that. Auto geek doesnt sell a vertglass or poli glow type product so I think it was ok to answer

So are you reccomending the vert or poli? Trying to follow. Thanks!

Thenissanguy
12-14-2016, 01:45 AM
As in, ZEP High Traffic Floor Finish?

Yea thats it .... its pretty popular on the rv forums