PDA

View Full Version : Ice scraper question

java
11-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Can ice scraper blade plastic or brass do any kind of damage to windshield coatings?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-01-2016, 09:16 AM
I'm pretty sure scraping windows with a scraper will prematurely end a coatings life simply because of mechanical abrasion.

Don M
11-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Anything that could damage the glass (or whatever windshields are made of these days) will cut through a coating like it wasn't even there.

Even though it's not supposed to be that great for a car to idle for extended periods, I prefer to let the defrosters soften up the ice/snow so there's no heavy scraping involved.

Don M
11-01-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm pretty sure scraping windows with a scraper will prematurely end a coatings life simply because of mechanical abrasion.

....plus what Mike said, he just happens to type faster than me :)

postaltwo
11-01-2016, 09:20 AM
I do the same . Let the car do the work . I'm warming it anyway

Angus
11-01-2016, 10:14 AM
I would also suggest filling up a spray bottle filled with winter washer fluid and use it to saturate the windshield whenever a minor amount of ice has formed. I've been doing this for years and after a few minutes you can usually squeegee off the melted ice/ slush.

You could also purchase a nylon windshield snow/ice cover from Amazon for ~$12. These do a great job at preventing ice build-up by creating a physical barrier between your windshield and the elements. I have one and typically use it when more significant snow/ ice is expected.

Hope that helps!

TTQ B4U
11-01-2016, 11:50 AM
Remote starters are priceless. They make a great I love you gift for the wifey too. :)

We have them on both vehicles and use them mainly in the winter. I do the Viper Smart Start as it allows for any distance starting so long as the car and phone have cell signal.

I also 2x the comment about using a spray bottle of de-icer. I keep a spray bottle of some heavy duty -32 mix in it in the trunk/bag of both too.

chefwong
11-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Angus -

Between the way it needs to be closed with the doors to keep the cover secure, hows the marring on the rub point....

java
11-01-2016, 03:04 PM
As far as remote starters the installer advised me not to install a remote start because every time I start the vehicle using the remote start it will start up twice because of the push button start.

The nylon windshield cover I got one for a christmas gift one year never used it though didn't know if it works or a gimmick

java
11-01-2016, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated!