PDA

View Full Version : What is the best UV sealant/protectant for headlights?

Pages : [1] 2

virus911s
10-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Good day! What have you had best luck with after refinishing headlights to reseal the plastic and protect it again? Resurfaced mine using 800/1500/2000/3000 grit. Used flex pe8. Thanks for the heads up! Please see Picture.

RaskyR1
10-31-2016, 01:34 PM
The best would be to reapply an actual UV coating. Looks like you did go through part of the factory coating while you were sanding, so it will likely won't last long.

Rsurfer
10-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Nice job. IMO the best protection is spraying clear, but it is time consuming (taping and covering the entire car). The next best product for me has been Car Pro Dlux. Applied thinly there is no need to buff off..the overlaps will just blend into itself. Again thin coats and do not over swipe the lens.

EXTJosh
10-31-2016, 01:52 PM
The best would be to reapply an actual UV coating. Looks like you did go through part of the factory coating while you were sanding, so it will likely won't last long.

Rasky, how can you tell if you've gone through the factory coating? Can you recommend a UV coating brand? Virus911s, I'm very interested in this as well, sealants & the plastic coatings don't seem to be doing the trick for me.

RaskyR1
10-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Rasky, how can you tell if you've gone through the factory coating? Can you recommend a UV coating brand? Virus911s, I'm very interested in this as well, sealants & the plastic coatings don't seem to be doing the trick for me.

You can see thing outline/ring of it in the sanded pic. It's similar to how it looks when you sand through the clear on the paint. ;)

I now use the stuff from David Sylican, not that it's something I do often, but there are many similar options out there.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/5F7DA992-493D-4FD2-B94C-44CD83DB1A20.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Raskyr1/media/5F7DA992-493D-4FD2-B94C-44CD83DB1A20.jpg.html)

virus911s
10-31-2016, 02:24 PM
Appreciate the feedback. I have been using Wolfgang paint sealant and it's working great for protection. Wouldn't it last if I polished and sealed say every 4 to 6 months to keep it from yellowing?

RaskyR1
10-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Appreciate the feedback. I have been using Wolfgang paint sealant and it's working great for protection. Wouldn't it last if I polished and sealed say every 4 to 6 months to keep it from yellowing?

A lot of it will depend on your environment. In the AZ sun it would probably fade pretty fast but if it's garaged often and not subject to the elements like AZ it may last a while. Polishing and sealing regularly may keep it in check but I've not personally tested it.

Mantilgh
10-31-2016, 02:42 PM
I've been using Opti-Lens and it works well. I can't say how long it will last. A couple of mine are doing well under 2 years old. Some have not had it last as long.

One of the problems for individual purchase is the amount you get is way more than one person would need to do their own set of lights.

If you're not going to coat them, I would reapply a sealant every month.

virus911s
10-31-2016, 02:48 PM
Do you have a link to that product? Went to their website page, but can't find a store?

virus911s
10-31-2016, 02:50 PM
A lot of it will depend on your environment. In the AZ sun it would probably fade pretty fast but if it's garaged often and not subject to the elements like AZ it may last a while. Polishing and sealing regularly may keep it in check but I've not personally tested it.

Do you have a link to the product line?

rlmccarty2000
10-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Has anyone experimented with PBL Paint Coating or the McKees Paint Coating on headlights as far as durability? I've always got that on hand and the PBL is supposed to last three years on paint.

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 03:09 PM
Has anyone experimented with PBL Paint Coating or the McKees Paint Coating on headlights as far as durability? I've always got that on hand and the PBL is supposed to last three years on paint.

Sounds like it'd be a no brainer, right? It'd be great to find out some long term results.

Mantilgh
10-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Here's a link to Opti-Lens

Optimum Opti-Lens Permanent Headlight Coating, headlight coatings protectants (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-lens-headlight-coating.html)

I would think most other coating work well

Mike@ShineStruck
10-31-2016, 03:47 PM
I've been trying to getna bottle of UV coating from Dave..but he doesn't seem eager to send some info on how to buy through him..

There's a product just like his, not sure if it's relabled or not but it's called
Lens Bright

Another option is Gclear

Meguiers released theirnUV headlight coating as stand alone now...good for 1year
This is the coating that's in the perfect clarity kit

Mike@ShineStruck
10-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Sounds like it'd be a no brainer, right? It'd be great to find out some long term results.

I couldn't find my McKee coating at th moment to try
But used Pearl Nano HD on a couple jobs recently
Along with DK UV coating...well see how they gold up to winter and upcoming summer