PDA

View Full Version : DP Tire Coating

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dmb5450
10-31-2016, 12:54 PM
I used the free bottle of DP tire coating that I received a while back for the first time. I had some terrible results. I am hoping I can get so ideas as to what the issue may be.

To prep the tires: I cleaned each tire twice with D143. The second cleaning produced white foam showing the tire was clean. To be sure and follow the directions I followed up with DP tire cleaner and restorer. I blew the tires dry and then applied 2 coats of the DP coating with a brush applicator that was also recommended. Before application I shook the bottle for about 5 minutes as it wasn't used before and I planned for separation. I waited 25 minutes between coats. The tires looked pretty nice when I was finished. I drove 8 miles to the dentist and the tires look awful. I did not drive through any dust or anything that would cause the dirty look.

Below are some picture of the tire when I got back to my house. Any feedback would be great.

The Guz
10-31-2016, 01:55 PM
Your cleaning procedure is fine.

How old are these tires? The reason I ask is because I had issues with my tires that were fairly new with the mold release wax on them.

Did you use the carrand tire brush?

Seeing as how you have smooth sidewalls, I would have gone with the foam applicator that can in the kit. The brush doesn't work that well on smooth sidewalls from my personal experience.

I have found that the Tuf Shine applicator works best with DP tire coating especially on smooth sidewalls.

TUF SHINE Pro Series Applicator Sponge (http://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-pro-series-applicator-sponge.html)

I wrote this with information from Nick on how to remove the tire coating. It's pretty durable especially with a fresh application.

How to remove DP Tire Coating (http://www.autopia.org/forums/guide-to-detailing/182231-remove-dp-tire-coating.html)

I just recorded some videos on my reapplication regiment. Once I get that up on youtube you can check it out as I show myself using the tire coating with the tuff shine tire applicator.

Dmb5450
10-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the info, tires are stock from the car, 2014. I did use the tire brush you mentioned but did not receive a kit, it was a free item added to an order. Does that coating need to come off or can I put my normal dressing over top?

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Thumbs up for including pictures with your post.
Smooth sidewalls, but there sure is textured lettering just about everywhere on em.. I have no experience with the DP Tire Coat, but those are some strange results to say the least.

The Guz
10-31-2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you for the info, tires are stock from the car, 2014. I did use the tire brush you mentioned but did not receive a kit, it was a free item added to an order. Does that coating need to come off or can I put my normal dressing over top?

You can but it won't last long on top of the tire coating.

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 04:15 PM
Does the McKee's Tire & Rubber restorer remove the coating fairly easy?

Dmb5450
10-31-2016, 04:31 PM
You can but it won't last long on top of the tire coating.

Guz, I may put some spray dressing to hide the ugly for a while until I can get around to following your suggestions to remove the coating. I really want to know what happened to make the tire look so bad.

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Guz, I may put some spray dressing to hide the ugly for a while until I can get around to following your suggestions to remove the coating. I really want to know what happened to make the tire look so bad.

Try it on 1 tire on another vehicle. Then you'll at least know if it's something doing with your perticular set of tires, or possibly a bad batch of tire coating.

Dmb5450
10-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Try it on 1 tire on another vehicle. Then you'll at least know if it's something doing with your perticular set of tires, or possibly a bad batch of tire coating.

Great idea, my wife Subaru needs a cleaning anyway. I have 2 bottles of the tire coating, I am gonna try one tire with the bottle I just opened and another tire with the unopened bottle. I'll report back within the next few days.

The Guz
10-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Does the McKee's Tire & Rubber restorer remove the coating fairly easy?

Nope. I cover this in my how to remove thread I linked based on Nick's feedback.

I understand

wing commander
10-31-2016, 09:38 PM
I had your results 2 years ago,the problem was my cleaning even though it was foaming white. I was getting the white foam because I was not scrubbing hard enough to get past the rubber oxidation (flowering)and after my removal and reapplication with a hard scrub with the Tuf-Shine brush and using the Tuf-Shine foam applicator they came out great and lasted 6 months. They must also be very dry before coating so I waited until they did not even resemble a hint of moisture on them.

The Guz
11-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Dmb5450 I was going to post a video I did reapplying DP Tire Coating and I accidentally deleted it off my phone. It will have to wait until I reapply it unless my brother lets me borrow his car so I can shoot a new video for you. I'll see if I can get something up for you that hopefully won't take too long. I also lost a video I did with ONR and the big red sponge.

Dmb5450
11-03-2016, 05:51 AM
Dmb5450 I was going to post a video I did reapplying DP Tire Coating and I accidentally deleted it off my phone. It will have to wait until I reapply it unless my brother lets me borrow his car so I can shoot a new video for you. I'll see if I can get something up for you that hopefully won't take too long. I also lost a video I did with ONR and the big red sponge.

I appreciate the reply, no hurry on the videos, I am going to try my wife's car tonight and try all of the feedback that I was given. The only thing I can think that may have been an impact was my previous dressing. My car had blackfire on the tires since day one. I didn't apply for 2 months, but maybe the dressing was still in the pores of the tire as mentioned in your post. Hopefully the Subaru comes out better. Thanks for the continued help!

Eldorado2k
11-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Can the McKee's Tire Coating be layered over itself? i.e. can you top it off with another layer in a couple weeks without a problem?

Dmb5450
11-12-2016, 07:19 AM
I apologize for the late updates, life is busy [emoji20].

After trying on my wife Subaru I think it is safe to conclude that
It may be the tire coating that I received. Both were free after the DP line was discontinued, maybe too old? When I tired one bottle on one tire and the unopened on the other I had the same results. I made sure to scrub extra hard as mentioned in the suggestions. I used an older brush as to not ruin my go to brush. I scrubbed so hard my wrists hurt and the bristles on the brush are permanently bent. I cleaned the tires 3 times like I did above.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and advise, maybe I will try a different tire coating in the future, but for now I will stick with Blackfire, its quick and makes the tires look great. I was just hoping to keep them a nice black all winter. If anyone had good results with a coating currently available maybe I'll pick some up on Black Friday.

Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)