PDA

View Full Version : Help! Removing streaks left on hood after using Optimum Car Wax

Pages : [1] 2

cheekyage
10-31-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi everyone

After giving my daily its weekly wash I thought I would top up with a layer of Optimum Car Wax for a black Toyota Corolla.

No matter what I seem to do the product is leaving streaks behind, like as if I haven't wiped off all the product properly.

Only on the hood, everywhere else is fine.

I'm using brand new microfibre cloths, one to apply and one to wipe off.

Any ideas as to what am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-31-2016, 06:24 AM
You have washed the towels before first use correct? Also has the hood been repainted before?

Eric@CherryOnTop
10-31-2016, 06:39 AM
Either too much product is being used or there is road film on the hood preventing bonding of the wax. If that were the case you would need to use some sort of chemical paint cleanser.

ScottB
10-31-2016, 07:09 AM
A very light damp MF towel should remove the streaks. I have noticed no streaking with OCW, it does need to be shaken very well. It also appears to work well on a damp surface.

cheekyage
10-31-2016, 07:36 AM
You have washed the towels before first use correct? Also has the hood been repainted before?

Towels are brand new from the packaging. They are Optimum edgeless MF.

cheekyage
10-31-2016, 07:37 AM
Either too much product is being used or there is road film on the hood preventing bonding of the wax. If that were the case you would need to use some sort of chemical paint cleanser.

Road film on the hood even after a pressure rinse and 2BM wash?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-31-2016, 07:50 AM
Towels are brand new from the packaging. They are Optimum edgeless MF.

Have they been washed prior to use?

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 07:54 AM
A very light damp MF towel should remove the streaks. I have noticed no streaking with OCW, it does need to be shaken very well. It also appears to work well on a damp surface.

This^

I sometimes have these same light streaks you're talking about happen on black vehicles. Especially to the hood like you describe..

Just a couple days ago after wiping down a black car with Megs Last Touch I had some streaks leftover.. What I decided to do was reach for a totally different kind of microfiber towel, my best towels that I normally reserve for wiping off polish and compound only, Meguiars Ultimate Wipes. [it's a good thing I was carrying them around in my trunk]

I folded 1 of them in 4 quarters and sprayed just 1 light spray of Last Touch onto it, then you wipe the paint down as if you're smoldering down burning coals, meaning you go sort of slow for this wipedown with just the right amount of passion.. Flip the towel over to the completely dry side for a quik final wipe and the streaks are gone. It's nice to have a better quality towel than normal. Streaks don't stand a chance when I pull out my "special" towels:)

FUNX650
10-31-2016, 11:23 AM
a layer of Optimum Car Wax for a
black Toyota Corolla.
No matter what I seem to do the
product is leaving streaks behind,

Only on the hood, everywhere else is fine.

I'm using brand new microfibre cloths,
one to apply and one to wipe off.

Any ideas as to what am I doing wrong?

Black car hoods' temperatures
can get quite hot...in a hurry!

•Optimum's recommendations are to:
-Apply/Remove OCW only when the panel
temps are between 55°F-90°F.
-Watch out for "Over application"...
A little goes a long way!

Allowing the hood to cool down now,
will make the streak removal go a
whole lot easier...{"Like removes Like"}

•As to MF-towels:
-It's always a "best practice" to
launder them before their used.

Bob

pheerix
10-31-2016, 08:55 PM
I've had OCW streak on me a few times. Combination of too much product and warm temps.

The Guz
10-31-2016, 09:58 PM
Dann Williams of optimum posted this great video on optimum car wax.

https://www.facebook.com/dannewilliams/posts/10208741717075075

TTQ B4U
10-31-2016, 10:00 PM

Dann seriously needs to put the spray wax down and pick up some polish and an orange pad.

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 10:22 PM

He actually works for Optimum and chose that nasty paint to demo on? Smh. Just a bad vid all around. Amazing the thought that goes into things sometimes... And then there's the results of the actual product.. I'll just stop. Lol.

Eldorado2k
10-31-2016, 10:29 PM
Kinda reminds me of those times when you finally or actually see someone i.e. on youtube, someone who you regard as well known, knowledge, experienced, etc. and when they finally get around to filming a vid on proper washing method and it's horrible technique and practice all over the place? Lol. Have you guys ever seen that happen? It just boggles the mind. Lol.

Well maybe horrible all over is a bit of a stretch... But a simple huge pet peeve of mine is seeing someone who should definitely know better take a wash mitt from fender to door, to bottom of the door, and with that same mitt go right back to the top of the same door, or even worse onto the next door... No flipping of mitt, No grit guard action in between or anything. Like really? Lol.

The Guz
10-31-2016, 10:32 PM
Dann seriously needs to put the spray wax down and pick up some polish and an orange pad.

How do we know he didn't polish the paint? He was addressing a question for another. Not every client of his probably wanted a paint correction. Some just care about shiny paint. He's now an employee of optimum and sold his mobile business.

People are so quick to judge without knowing the facts. Didn't intend to lick on you. Just stating a trend that has been going on lately on this forum.