PDA

View Full Version : Finish waxing of newly painted acrylic lacquer paint

Jroedi
10-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Hello Mike, this is my first time here so I will get right to the point. I finished painting my 1957 corvette in black with silver coves with acrylic lacquer. I'm in the process of initial buffing and the finish is coming out great. I've been around a few years and can remember that lacquer should not be waxed for at least 6 months after application as the paint has to gas off. Is this correct? I don't want to mess up the finish as it was too hard to get to this point. I'll wait fo your reply. Thanks, Jim

BillyJack
10-31-2016, 06:16 AM
I've been in the car business since the 70's, when acrylic lacquer and enamel were all we used and paint booths were ventilated, but not heated. I was always told to allow a minimum of three months before waxing. I recently had a substantial amount of my black DD painted and doing some searching, found a post from Dr. Ghodoussi of Optimum on their forum stating that Optimum Car Wax did not inhibit the curing or outgassing of fresh paint. Considering his background with automotive coatings, OCW will be all I use for the next couple months.

Bill

FUNX650
10-31-2016, 11:03 AM
Meguiar's M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze
was created especially for this scenario.

Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Bob

parshooter
10-31-2016, 01:12 PM
Seeing as it's a 57 Corvette, my guess is that it's not driven daily, or in poor weather. Doesn't seem a need to rush and wax it. In 6 months it'll be spring, the perfect time for it's first waxing.