PDA

View Full Version : How to reach those hard to reach places

Pages : [1] 2

swflynn
10-29-2016, 04:48 PM
Hello!

This is my first post, and it's so basic it's probably dumb.

I've been reading everything here I can read for the past few weeks. I've bought more chemicals and equipment from AG than I'll probably ever need to wash and polish and buff my truck and boats and other stuff.

So...I go out to wash my truck today, get all my new stuff out to wash it, and realize I can't reach the center of the hood, and most of the roof (it's a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab).

I figure I can get a wash brush on an extension handle to wash it...

BUT...how do you get to those places with a buffer? Seems like duct tape on a broom stick might work, but I'm sure there's a smart way, and that's why I need your help.

Thanks!
Steve

Rsurfer
10-29-2016, 04:55 PM
A good sturdy step stool.

Wolfslair
10-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Hello!

This is my first post, and it's so basic it's probably dumb.

I've been reading everything here I can read for the past few weeks. I've bought more chemicals and equipment from AG than I'll probably ever need to wash and polish and buff my truck and boats and other stuff.

So...I go out to wash my truck today, get all my new stuff out to wash it, and realize I can't reach the center of the hood, and most of the roof (it's a 2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab).

I figure I can get a wash brush on an extension handle to wash it...

BUT...how do you get to those places with a buffer? Seems like duct tape on a broom stick might work, but I'm sure there's a smart way, and that's why I need your help.

Thanks!
Steve

I have a Subie Outback with a high roof I could not reach. First thing I did was bought a step ladder. I like it because the handle has thick cushion foam on it so I can lean the ladder right on the door. I got it on sale at that cheap tool store. PM me for more info, we are not supposed to mention other companies. I fold it up and store it in the back. It fits just perfect in my Outback.

Audios S6
10-29-2016, 05:04 PM
The werner work platform goes on sale at Lowes every black friday and it's always a killer deal.

LSNAutoDetailing
10-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Does the bed have a bed-liner, if so I usually stand in that to get the roof.

Also having a few of these helps.

swflynn
10-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Thanks for those replies!

I tried a regular step ladder set up next to the truck, and although it helped, I still couldn't reach those places, some still not at all and some by stretching. But I wouldn't be able to hold a buffer in those areas. I had the ladder set up beside the truck, so I was leaning off the side of the ladder.

I appreciate the help!

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Milk crate.

Rsurfer
10-29-2016, 06:13 PM
Thanks for those replies!

I tried a regular step ladder set up next to the truck, and although it helped, I still couldn't reach those places, some still not at all and some by stretching. But I wouldn't be able to hold a buffer in those areas. I had the ladder set up beside the truck, so I was leaning off the side of the ladder.

I appreciate the help!

Your not a little guy are you?

TTQ B4U
10-29-2016, 10:59 PM
I'm looking at picking up one of these (http://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-30-75-in-x-11-75-in-Adjustable-Portable-Work-Platform-E-PWP7101AL/206691416?MERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-206691416-_-N):

What I like about it is it's very stable, longer so I won't have to reposition as often, stays clear from the vehicle, is adjustable up to 3ft high and then can also be used as a work surface for other things I might do around the house. Not to mention I can use it as a work surface while detailing as I don't have a roll around cart.

Britsdaddy
10-30-2016, 05:13 AM
I've got the same truck. Stand on the tire to reach the hood and windshield. I coated the roof (using a step ladder), and now I don't worry about it regularly. I have an angle attachment for my PW and it's easy to rinse off.
I really need to get one of those platforms, though.

VISITOR
10-30-2016, 05:19 AM
buy one (or two) of those platforms. i bought some plumbing insulation (below) that were already cut/scored in the middle and matched it up to each corner and then cut them to size and used zip ties to hold them on. this will help prevent damage to the paint if it accidentally slips/moves...

https://mobileimages.lowes.com/product/converted/077578/077578024493.jpg

duquephart
11-14-2016, 11:09 AM
The werner work platform goes on sale at Lowes every black friday and it's always a killer deal.

Local Lowes has the heavier duty AP-30 at $44 on their "early" black Friday sale (35% off). The lighter duty one is actually a bit more - not discounted as much. Is that as good as it gets?

ChevyHD
11-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Little Giant Ladders have multiple options.

WAXOFF
11-14-2016, 12:11 PM
I just got an email from Lowes that shows a pre Black Friday sale and they have the platforms for 44 bucks

swflynn
11-14-2016, 12:20 PM
Gentlemen!

Thanks for all the input, and the info on the sale at Lowes!