PDA

View Full Version : Tape Residue Removal On Clear Bra and Bumper

Darvetis
10-29-2016, 09:58 AM
My clear bra installer told me to apply transparent tape on the edges of the PPF when claying/ polishing paint. Realize now that using this type of tape was a mistake, it left behind a nasty residue which I need to remove. Afraid to use Goof Off or Mineral spirits on the PPF or the factory painted plastic bumper. I wonder if I should just carefully use my clay bar on the residue, or is there a better way to remove this without damaging anything?

ducksfan
10-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Maybe take it back to the guy who told you to use the tape and have him show you how to get it off ?

Just02896
10-29-2016, 10:19 AM
I use tarminator to clean up tape residue. Use it sparingly when cleaning up the edges of PPF. Last thing you want to do is dissolve the adhesive at the films edge. Always wipe from film to paint and never from paint to film. Matter of fact, I no longer tape the edge of PPF. Instead I polish right over the edge making sure that my pad is spinning in the direction from film to paint so as not to force polish under the edge.

Darvetis
10-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the advice! However, before reading the response, I used my clay bar on the residue. It actually worked/ removed the adhesive.

jsgntulok
10-29-2016, 10:21 PM
Next time just use blue painters' tape. No residue.

Mantilgh
10-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Just clay parallel to the cut line if you need to clay.

Whitewater25
10-30-2016, 09:32 AM
WD-40. Gets off that tape crap. Shouldn't hurt the bra but try a small test edge to certain. Spray it on,let it sit for a minute & wipe. Stubborn residue may need several tries.It gets off dried duct tape residue so it should work for you. As I'm sure you've already figured out,blue painters tape as others suggested for next time.

Darvetis
10-31-2016, 09:03 PM
Maybe take it back to the guy who told you to use the tape and have him show you how to get it off ?

Yeah, did that today, since it was taking too much time to clean up all the areas with the clay bar. He gave me a can of Stoner Xenit Citrus Cleaner. Took the mess right off, problem solved.