PDA

View Full Version : need advice about swirls and polishing??

Pages : [1] 2

fightnews
10-29-2016, 04:48 AM
hi everyone, i will try to explain this as clear and simple as possible, i have a black, 2014 kia sorento.....

the last time i polished it 2 months ago i used m101 on a griots garage microfiber finishing pad 2 section passes with 5-6 passes per section. then i finished with m205 on a polishing pad and waxed it. it looked great and i thought i got rid of the swirls, they were only kinda minor anyway. i checked it out in direct sunlight a couple times and thought for sure this time they were gone. ive used less aggressive methods in the past. it always looks like they are gone but they come back after a couple months every time. they are faint and you only see them in direct sunlight. they came back again this time after about 8 weeks or so. i know in using a strong enough approach to get rid of light swirls? i figure it has to be 1 of 2 things?

either,

1- im just filling them in, even though im using aggressive methods, and the filler is wearing off after 6-8 washes? if this is the case i must have the hardest paint on earth?

or,

2- I'm getting rid of the swirls but im putting them back into the car after 6-8 washes by rubbing to hard ect ect.? idk about this i only use high quality microfiber towels, always fresh, top quality drying towels. 2 bucket wash method, marino wool mitt everything. i do use a lot of quick detailer and spray wax but idk.

it kinda looks like the same swirls re appearing but i dont know for sure? could my paint be that hard? its always the back 1/4 panels i see them on on both sides. what do you think?

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 05:24 AM
Factory paint?
1st of all, I don't think there's a chance that combo of M101 & M205 filled in the swirls. That being said, I also have a 2014 Sorento and while it's not the same color, I can tell you that for some reason I tend to be kinda iffy about quik detailing, waterless washing, or even rinseless washing this paint.

It's nice paint, but for some reason I don't feel 100% safe unless I'm bucket washing this vehicle. It's almost like the paint doesn't feel slick enough for me to simply feel ok to just quik detail it. Maybe it's just me being overly cautious [which is very possible]

That being said, it makes me feel like it's your "quik detailing" and spray waxing that's causing the swirls to happen on your paint.
I'm not to familiar with wool mitts [I have 1 but it's still new in the plastic, never trusted it enough to use it] I prefer microfiber wash mitts.
You say you use quality drying towels? Which exact towels do you use to dry? I only use waffle weaves, and the lone "plush" microfiber drying towel that I recently bought is garbage IMO... It drags way too much and therefore I have to apply way too much pressure while using it. I'll never use that plush drying towel on the Kia again. Plus it attracts every little piece of lint onto it in small bunches, and I wouldn't be surprised if those bits would cause micro scratches if/when it's used.

Nice paint, doesn't seem to like alot of touching and unnecessary rubbing. I'd stop quik detailing it. And make sure to use drying towels that don't drag. Find some that glide easy over the paint. And keep the lsp fresh at all times. Hope this helps.

Mike Phillips
10-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Couple of comments....

Just to note, fibers are a type of abrasive, keep that in mind anytime you're using microfiber pads. This is especially true when working on soft paints. When we buffed out the Magellan Train with Joe Fernandez, Joe "tested" microfiber pads and they scratched the heck out of the paint on the train so we switched over to foam pads.

I find M205 to leave micro-marring in some softer paints, not sure about your car's paint but there are polishes that work great on any paint no matter the softness or hardness level which makes them bubba-proof. When M205 was introduced, the head chemist personally walked over from his office to the Meguiar's garage and handed me a lab sample created there at Meguiar's and I used it to buff out the Batmobile. So I've been using M205 as long and in most cases longer than anyone else.

Get some SONAX Nano Polish and apply using a foam pad.

Fact is... clearcoats are scratch-sensitive. This means they scratch easy. I have an article on this topic,

Clearcoats are Scratch-Sensitive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74234-clearcoats-scratch-sensitive.html)

Here's another one...

"Black is not a color, it's a full time job" (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/57621-black-not-color-s-full-time-job.html)

I'd recommend applying a paint coating. A quality coating will resist minor scratching plus all of the other benefits they offer. McKee's 37 is the easiest paint coating to use, take a look at it. I use PBL on the wifes car. Going to apply some today after buffing out a 1940 Pontiac Coupe.

:)

Mike Phillips
10-29-2016, 05:29 AM
Two more articles that might offer some help...

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103632-how-wash-coated-car-gentle-approach-washing-car-mike-phillips.html)

The least invasive method to dry your car - Patting instead of wiping off rinse water (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/103851-least-invasive-method-dry-your-car-patting-instead-wiping-off-rinse-water.html)

:)

fightnews
10-29-2016, 05:48 AM
thanks, i use only cobra waffle weaves to dry the car and i blot, i do gently use a water blade but these are round swirls not straight lines. i dont think its the pads because it looks great after the detail and the swirls seem gone. someone told me that i have hard paint because i have a big problem with chips and road rash on the hood and front bumper. is that true?

fightnews
10-29-2016, 05:54 AM
im thinking about doing a detail again thanksgiving weekend. i was looking at the wolfgang swirl remover and finishing glaze. is that a nano polish? i believe it is. i prob wont do the coating anytime soon. its not bad advice but ive spent so much money on products i want to use them. i have a gallon of crystal mist, a gallon of souveran spray wax, souveran paste and even the synergy paste wax i havent even had a chance to use yet. plus a gallon of the pinnacle shampoo

fightnews
10-29-2016, 06:15 AM
Factory paint?
1st of all, I don't think there's a chance that combo of M101 & M205 filled in the swirls. That being said, I also have a 2014 Sorento and while it's not the same color, I can tell you that for some reason I tend to be kinda iffy about quik detailing, waterless washing, or even rinseless washing this paint.

It's nice paint, but for some reason I don't feel 100% safe unless I'm bucket washing this vehicle. It's almost like the paint doesn't feel slick enough for me to simply feel ok to just quik detail it. Maybe it's just me being overly cautious [which is very possible]

That being said, it makes me feel like it's your "quik detailing" and spray waxing that's causing the swirls to happen on your paint.
I'm not to familiar with wool mitts [I have 1 but it's still new in the plastic, never trusted it enough to use it] I prefer microfiber wash mitts.
You say you use quality drying towels? Which exact towels do you use to dry? I only use waffle weaves, and the lone "plush" microfiber drying towel that I recently bought is garbage IMO... It drags way too much and therefore I have to apply way too much pressure while using it. I'll never use that plush drying towel on the Kia again. Plus it attracts every little piece of lint onto it in small bunches, and I wouldn't be surprised if those bits would cause micro scratches if/when it's used.

Nice paint, doesn't seem to like alot of touching and unnecessary rubbing. I'd stop quik detailing it. And make sure to use drying towels that don't drag. Find some that glide easy over the paint. And keep the lsp fresh at all times. Hope this helps.
well the thing is i dont quik detail it dry, i use my quick detailer as a drying aid. the other thing is if it was from me rubbing how come i only see it on the two back panels. it should be happening everywhere if its from rubbing.

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 06:28 AM
well the thing is i dont quik detail it dry, i use my quick detailer as a drying aid. the other thing is if it was from me rubbing how come i only see it on the two back panels. it should be happening everywhere if its from rubbing.

Hmm... Well how do you go about washing it? My process goes like this:
I start on the roof, I wash the passengers side roof [flipping the mitt so I use both sides] Then using that same mitt I wash the passengers side windows and half the windshield.
Next I grab another mitt from my wash bucket and do the same to the drivers side.
Then I start on the sides...
Point is I don't wash those rear quarter panels with the same mitt I washed the windows with. I also never wash that area with a mitt that has washed underneath the body line, I start fresh at the top there.

That's all I can think of, I'm running out of thoughts as to what could be causing your swirls.. Sounds like a minor case of swirls? Right? Not too heavy?

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 06:36 AM
someone told me that i have hard paint because i have a big problem with chips and road rash on the hood and front bumper. is that true?

That person has no clue what the heck they're talking about.
How would hard paint attract road rash?

fightnews
10-29-2016, 06:46 AM
Hmm... Well how do you go about washing it? My process goes like this:
I start on the roof, I wash the passengers side roof [flipping the mitt so I use both sides] Then using that same mitt I wash the passengers side windows and half the windshield.
Next I grab another mitt from my wash bucket and do the same to the drivers side.
Then I start on the sides...
Point is I don't wash those rear quarter panels with the same mitt I washed the windows with. I also never wash that area with a mitt that has washed underneath the body line, I start fresh at the top there.

That's all I can think of, I'm running out of thoughts as to what could be causing your swirls.. Sounds like a minor case of swirls? Right? Not too heavy?
ya u can only see them in direct sunlight at the perfect angle.

i use a pressure washer and foam gun. first i cover in foam, rinse, then cover in foam again one side at a time. wash each panel with mitt, rinse then move on.

fightnews
10-29-2016, 06:47 AM
That person has no clue what the heck they're talking about.
How would hard paint attract road rash?

they said hard paint chips easier

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 06:55 AM
they said hard paint chips easier

I'll defer to Mike Phillips or GSKR on this 1... I'm all ears.

fightnews
10-29-2016, 07:16 AM
I'll defer to Mike Phillips or GSKR on this 1... I'm all ears.

hows the kia treating you have you polished at all yet? i got to go in to get the back up camera fixed and the remote starters wont work unless im right next to the car.

dlc95
10-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Try this technique with M205.

I've been experiencing excellent results with it on a blue Buff and Shine polishing pad, and PC 7424

Tips to acheive a flawless finish with M205 and a DA polisher (http://www.autopia.org/forums/polishing-with-a-da-polisher/36891-tips-acheive-flawless-finish-m205-da-polisher.html)

Eldorado2k
10-29-2016, 09:17 AM
hows the kia treating you have you polished at all yet? i got to go in to get the back up camera fixed and the remote starters wont work unless im right next to the car.

It's doing great.. It's a Sorento GDl so it's not equipped with a back up camera or remote start, but it's a creampuff thx to me maintaining it:)

All the trim's been coated from day 1, except the windshield cowl which I finally got around to coating about a month ago.

I've coated every bit of trim including the plastic trim inside the door sill and even the pedals on this thing! Lol.

Haven't polished it yet beyond the small test spot on the door when it was about a month old. [I saw no difference so I didn't do the rest of the vehicle] Paint still looks brand new.

I've tried a test spot on the hood on 2 different occasions with a finishing pad on the polisher and both times resulted instilling major swirls. The paint on the hood must be different than the rest of the vehicle and it's sensitive to say the least! I managed to reduce the swirls I instilled and I'm not really looking forward to putting a buffer on this vehicle for as long as I can help it.