PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a touchless (pressure washing) regimine

chefwong
10-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Eons ago, I craved to import me some CG No Touch as vids over at DW showed it was a almost as close as you get to touchless car wash.
'
Just kurious, how close are ya'll to a touchless car wash routine...

RaskyR1
10-26-2016, 11:11 AM
No touch = not fully clean. Some form of agitation is always required IMO.

ducksfan
10-26-2016, 01:35 PM
I agree with Rasky. It's where things are right now.

But, the closer you can get to clean before touching and how you touch can make a big difference.

FUNX650
10-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Just kurious,
how close are ya'll to a
touchless car wash routine...
Oh, I'd say 'bout this much:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=110025

Bob

VISITOR
10-26-2016, 02:42 PM

couldn't agree more...

LEDetailing
10-26-2016, 03:10 PM
I would only touchless wash and rinse a few days worth of indoor dust. And at that point I'd rather use a rinseless, waterless, or Detail spray in place of touchless wash.

I always hated taking my car through the touchless car wash, because I could always see that slight film on the windshield and paint that the lack of agitation could not remove.

shadwell
10-26-2016, 05:28 PM

100% agree...... the dirt level which may look clean with touchless will be cleaned more effectively and just as safely with a waterless wash (with suitable products and technique). Touchless for me is taking a heavily soiled car and getting it to presentable level.. but to get it "clean" you have to touch...

I use aspects of touchless within my normal weekly wash because they are good practice.. , le Foam and pressure wash rinse, foam and wash mitt, flood rinse, blow dry, then finish with ONR OCW mix and drying towell.. (vehicle body), wheels get a coat of red 7 wheels woolies, rinse then foam and washed along with the rest of the car....

osiapstndp
10-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Just the other day I had a "wow" moment and made a decision about touchless washing (using a foam cannon and pressure washer). Long story short, I'm done with it for the time being. Contact washing removes dirt, debris and film residue. Touchless washing removes dust and little else.

McKee's Power Wash and Gloss is an amazing traditional soap that meets my need perfectly. It can be used in a foam cannon, and for a touchless endeavor it is my go-to product, but it works extremely well for a traditional two-bucket wash of paintwork and glass surfaces. I don't use it for wheels, tires and wheels wells because I don't want to put any of it to waste - Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo works just fine for wheelwork.

On a related note, a pressure washer is extremely effective at removing built-up dirt and debris and in this person's opinion is worth using.

Everyone has their own opinion and should use what works best for his or her needs. I'm sure some love to use a foam gun or cannon as their primary source of exterior cleaning, and others like better to rinseless or waterless wash, or others employ a combination of multiple processes that match their expectation. The only sure thing is to try new products and methods when appropriate and practice, practice, practice. I try to learn something new every day and am thankful for the tremendous amount of resources available to us like-minded folks. :)

WillSports3
10-26-2016, 07:05 PM
In winter time with the salt we get in Canada, no choice but to use a touchless wash because of the undercarriage spray to get the salt and what not off. After the touchless wash though, car still gets a rinseless wash and you can see the amount of crap that still comes off after a touchless wash.

Crispy
10-26-2016, 07:27 PM
Agree with fellow Canadian Willsports3.

Touchless is good for "first rinse" in winter .

I always follow with ONRW&S in the garage after.

Try to do once or twice a month.

Summertime "the living is easy" ONRW&S with occasional traditional 2 bucket wash.

BrutalNoodle
10-26-2016, 07:58 PM
There's a $12 touchless (how much in your area?) tunnel nearby. It's only good for keeping the appearance "acceptable" as in no junk/large debris sticking to the bottom part of vehicle after soggy weather. Don't expect much else if you don't plan on touching the paint.

I usually see cabs and limo going through there, with the occasional newer models. Many times I would see people get out and dry the vehicle afterward. Not good, but what else can you do besides watch & cringe...

WillSports3
10-26-2016, 08:08 PM
Good to see another fellow Canadian on here Crispy :D. The only other time I'll do a touchless wash aside from winter time is if I'm going to be polishing or something of that nature the next day so I'll get a touchless wash so the wheel wells can get sprayed out and I can get the majority of crap off the car. I'll drive around for a bit after to get the water to come out of all the nooks and crannies and leave it in the garage since the next day it's gonna get a rinseless wash right before I start detailing. Also if it's my dads car since he doesn't want me to polish it or anything at all so I'll touchless wash his car and the rinseless it later.

Crispy
10-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Surprisingly Florida has it's own salt issues with airborne salt from the ocean year round.

We get the undercarridge and they get the upper flat panels.

In a way we have the advantage as you don't notice the underside as much as say the hood, roof and trunk.

Because it's warm all year you can ONR after good rinse to get the salt out of all the nooks and crannies.

rlmccarty2000
10-26-2016, 09:31 PM
Foam, rinse, foam plus 2 BM=clean.

chefwong
10-27-2016, 05:35 AM
Just for clarity, on the OP, we're discussing completely touchless wash @ home with a pw/soap (maybe magic soap).

I foam occasionally but I don't notice much in it aiding to remove surface dirt that needs agitation. It DOES add a small extra level of lubricity to the cleaning factor.

Back over the DW, they do appear to have soaps that one can achieve touchless washes.....
My POV is the less you touch, the less marring one can induce