PDA

View Full Version : Hand washing MF towels, and drying them

prr
10-23-2016, 09:49 PM
You folks have talked me into washing my MF drying towels. Now I have two questions:

(1) Most of you have spoken about washing them in a machine. Why not just hand wash them? Is it good to use hot water---hotter than hands can stand?

(2) Any particular reason why you use a dryer, instead of just hanging them indoors to dry?

FUNX650
10-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Just follow the machine wash&dry
instructions for Microfiber Towels:
{They're found all over the interwebs.}

Here's an example, found on AGO's
Store microfiber-towel page:

"Caring for any of these microfiber towels
is easy. Wash the cloth in the washing machine
with a microfiber detergent like the Pinnacle
Micro Rejuvenator or the Micro-Restorer.
Line dry or dry in the clothes dryer on low heat."

•Or do like I do:
-Take 'em down to the creek and
beat the heck out of 'em against
a dedicated rock.

Seems to do the trick. :)

Bob

VISITOR
10-23-2016, 09:59 PM
wash (let the washing machine thoroughly clean them) in warm water (i use a mf detergent), extra rinse cycle (can add some vinegar if you like) and into the dryer on the lowest heat setting with no dryer sheet. no need to complicate the process as some do...

Hantra
10-23-2016, 10:10 PM
For my dirtier towels that I don't want in the washer, I use this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Mobile-Washer-non-electric-Included/dp/B002QUAPSO

It agitates very well in a bucket or sink. Otherwise, throw them in the washer. Towel Kleen is good, along with the extra rinse. Even if you hang them, tumbling them on air dry for a few mins seems to make them fluff up a bit more.

emmjay
10-23-2016, 11:53 PM
Washing by hand would require a lot of effort to get them truly clean. Why bother.

I just toss then into the washer for an hour at 40 Degrees Celcius, 1-2oz of 3D towel Kleen and an extra rinse.

I then air dry them as I do not have a dryer.

Jeremy1976
10-24-2016, 06:54 AM
Warm not not hot water. Dry on low or delicate. Use a good MF detergent like Micro Restore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
10-24-2016, 09:24 AM
As others noted, just use a washer. Especially for buffing and drying towels. I just use All Free like we do at the house and set the machine on extra large load and extra rinse to insure there's plenty of water and they come free of detergent, etc. Warm water setting and low dryer setting. Works perfectly.

Really dirty towels from te rare nasty wheels or doors I honestly just toss out. I use cheap dime store MF for those anyway.

Crispy
11-30-2016, 10:04 PM
I don't use many drying towels at a time, so I hand wash 2-3 at a time.

Regular microfibers, I do machine (20-30 at a time).

To hand wash, I soak in very hot water and Dawn dish soap for overnight.

In the morning I agitate in the sink and rub against each other to release dirt.

Wring out and set aside.

Change out soapy dirty water for clean water (hotter the better).

Work each towel into clean water and agitate to release soap.

Change water again and continue to agitate with running water until water is clear (or close to clear).

Wring out and hang to dry on shower rod.

4-5 years and counting on Meg's Waffle Weave Drying Towels.

spazzz
11-30-2016, 10:52 PM
Any reason not to use hot water to wash?

I generally do hot/cold, extra rinse on heavy soil setting, normal spin. This takes about 1.5 hours.
Then dry about 45 minutes on permanent press.

Houdini5150
11-30-2016, 11:39 PM
I hand 'wash' first, then wash in Machine, air dry so that the heat doesnt mess with the fibers.

Eldorado2k
12-01-2016, 01:11 AM
Microfiber towels are pretty darn resilient. Take these Supreme Shines for example, I used 7 grade B towels to help polish up some wheels.. I initially thought I'd just chuck em afterwards because they were so black and caked from the bare aluminum, but I figured I couldn't help but see if they could be salvaged by tossing them in the washer for their own dedicated hot wash cycle with some 3D Towel Kleen. They turned out better than respectable. Sure they're a bit stained, but they're alot cleaner that you'd think and still soft. Plus absolutely nothing happened to the washing machine. I don't get what the big worry is with sticking dirty towels in the washer... It's a washing machine! Lol.

These 7 towels have become my batch of dedicated metal polishing towels.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161201/21a22ef68d512845ca5cee1a426c8400.jpg

I bet I could do a waterless wash on a typical daily driver with these towels and no one would know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone

ducksfan
12-01-2016, 07:02 AM
I had a really dirty towel that I tried washing out by hand with Snappy Clean pad cleaner. That worked really well. I'll definitely try it again.

Oh, the dilution I had the Snappy Clean at was one packet : a gallon of water. I used about a cup (8oz) of solution on the towel (Maybe less. Not sure)