PDA

View Full Version : What to do with matte stripes?

hegel
10-23-2016, 11:50 AM
So i'll admit. I haven't been following the forum for almost 6 months because I've been bummed about my diesel vw going back to vw due to the emissions cheating deal.... well later this morning I'm picking up a 2015 mustang gt premium in competition orange. it has matte stripes on it and I'm not sure how to take care of those. I see there's a McKee 37 product for this (matte finish cleaner and protectant) but when I try to click the link for the review it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem to be any videos on it yet either so before I order anything I figured it would be worthwhile for me to come here and ask you experts on this. the mustang has 22k on it and the paint doesn't appear to have been taken care of. there aren't any dings but you can tell its been through many scratch and swirl auto washes.

thanks,
Steve

mwoywod
10-23-2016, 12:42 PM
So i'll admit. I haven't been following the forum for almost 6 months because I've been bummed about my diesel vw going back to vw due to the emissions cheating deal.... well later this morning I'm picking up a 2015 mustang gt premium in competition orange. it has matte stripes on it and I'm not sure how to take care of those. I see there's a McKee 37 product for this (matte finish cleaner and protectant) but when I try to click the link for the review it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem to be any videos on it yet either so before I order anything I figured it would be worthwhile for me to come here and ask you experts on this. the mustang has 22k on it and the paint doesn't appear to have been taken care of. there aren't any dings but you can tell its been through many scratch and swirl auto washes.

thanks,
Steve

I have always use a WOWO sealant like Opti-seal to care for my customers matte stripes. If you start protecting them from the beginning you should never have an issue. Plus Opti-Seal can be used on literally everything without issue.

WillSports3
10-23-2016, 01:57 PM
It really depends on what you're going to put on the rest of the car. If you're coating the car, you can just wipe the coating right over it no issues.

FUNX650
10-23-2016, 06:51 PM
...later this morning I'm picking up a 2015
mustang gt premium in competition orange.

it has matte stripes on it and I'm not
sure how to take care of those.

I see there's a McKee 37 product for this
(matte finish cleaner and protectant) but
when I try to click the link for the review
it comes up blank. and there doesn't seem
to be any videos on it yet either

so before I order anything...
•I only use matte-specific products
on matte finishes.

•As for the McKee's Matte product:

There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes,
and every single product, from a leather cleaner
to a state-of-the-art paint coating goes through
rigorous testing before we even consider adding
it to a product line.

Some products make the cut, while others do not.

I lead the development for all new products under
the PBMG corporate umbrella, and I've given more
formulas thumbs down than I can count on 10 hands.

It's easier to assume than it is to trust.
Rest assured you're in good hands. :dblthumb2:
^^^"It's like money in the bank"!^^^'

Bob

hegel
10-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Great. I've ordered the McKee 37 matte cleaner and a few other bits I was running low on. As far as I can tell research wise I just need to Mask off the stripes so they don't get hit with the DA and I should be good. Not quite sure what to do with the 1.5 inch strip between the stripes... probably try and polish by hand.

thanks,
steve

sweatthedetails
10-27-2016, 03:52 AM
Honestly I just machine polish these stripes. As long as they don't look like they are starting to peel off you should have no issue, just avoid the edges if they look questionable. I will use a AIO product like Megs PRC or Speed. It will turn your pads black but they clean up easy enough and they look great after.

parttimer
10-27-2016, 12:03 PM
If you are machining matte stripes you might want to rethink that, they are supposed to stay matte. I tape off, polish the paint then coat them as well as the paint. Test somewhere out of site if possible. I did a PCP Hellcat and pulled the plate, tested behind the plate before moving onto the entire vehicle. Anything that adds gloss should be avoided for matte stripes.

adamgayton81
10-27-2016, 12:54 PM
So when you guys are saying "coat" them as well as the paint...you're saying use whatever wax or sealant on the stripes as well? Or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweatthedetails
10-27-2016, 01:02 PM
If you are machining matte stripes you might want to rethink that, they are supposed to stay matte. I tape off, polish the paint then coat them as well as the paint. Test somewhere out of site if possible. I did a PCP Hellcat and pulled the plate, tested behind the plate before moving onto the entire vehicle. Anything that adds gloss should be avoided for matte stripes.

Nope I don't need to rethink anything. I've put this into practical application hundreds of times. It's not paint, it will never gloss up no matter how much you polish it. All it does is clean it, with the added side effect of protection. I will use PRC to clean these and black plastic that you find on door pillars, side mirrors, and bumpers. It always comes out looking great. Discovered this trick by accident when I bumped a section one time and saw how good it looked. If you are taping off and buying special products then you are wasting time and money. I spend all of 10 minutes on this stuff. Try it sometime. You can thank me later. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/eea90512cb3b41043ebcc183685e14cf.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161027/f6c6fb55b06d9a143df3c39a8f13c7b1.jpg

parttimer
10-27-2016, 02:50 PM
I too have bumped matte stripes with a fine polish, it did shine them up, which was the problem since they weren't supposed to be shiny!! In your pictures, I admit that looks great, but matte should stay matte. No sheen to them at all.

DrBeasleys
04-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Matte Paint Coating is instant bonding protection for matte paint that lasts 1-2 years. It goes on wet and it protects from staining, fading, and etching. It's also safe on glossy paint, so it's perfect for matte accented vehicles.
Have a look when you get a chance:http://www.autogeek.net/dr-beasleys-matte-coating.html

soonerrob
01-12-2018, 03:25 PM
It's also safe on glossy paint, so it's perfect for matte accented vehicles.
Have a look when you get a chance:Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/dr-beasleys-matte-coating.html)

When you write it's safe on glossy paint, do you mean that it's okay if you get some on the gloss paint around a vinyl stripe, or it's safe to coat the whole vehicle?