PDA

View Full Version : WG Finishing glaze under McKees coating?

Dale1990
10-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

I tried searching but the forum seems to be throwing a lot of errors/blank pages for results so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate/dumb question.

I just ordered the McKees coating kit to prep my car for winter but, I need to so some polishing first - nothing major, just some light swirls. One side of the car was repainted with a very soft clearcoat that gets scratches/swirls just looking at it much less washing/towel drying.

I was planning on hitting it with some Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with a white or red pad (low/no cut) on the last step before starting with the coating prep stuff. Will this cause a problem with the coating? A few threads mentioned that glazes leave behind oils/waxes/etc. that can interfere but others mentioned that Wolfgang doesn't and is really just a very mild polish but no mention of coatings.

Ideas?

Thanks! :cheers:

hi end auto
10-23-2016, 10:26 AM
why not use a regular polish that does not have word glaze in it and wipe down with ipa before coat?

Dale1990
10-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Primarily because I am trying to make use of what I have on-hand instead of going out and buying more stuff. I also have some WG swirl remover that I could use but it is probably a hair on the aggressive side for what I need.

:cheers:

Octopiston
10-23-2016, 11:12 AM
You want a clean surface for the coating to adhere.

With that said, the WG glaze is advertised as not containing any fillers or waxes so it seems more of a polish than a traditional glaze. I'd try the WG glaze, clean with dilute ipa afterwards, then coat.

AC in OC
10-23-2016, 12:51 PM
It is a finishing Polish, not a glaze. I think they should rename it as this confusion comes up frequently. As you can see from the product description, it contains no fillers...

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Made in Germany
Diminishing Abrasive Technology
Milled and processed by Wolfgang
Low-dusting, easy clean-up
Water-based
No fillers, wax or silicones
Removes 2500 grit sanding scratches
Effective on conventional and ceramic clear coats
Use after Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 to restore optimum gloss

Dale1990
10-23-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks, all!

Sounds like I should be fine as long as I give it a good wipe down before starting the coating process.

:cheers: