PDA

View Full Version : Football helmet HELP!!

Don M
10-21-2016, 11:04 AM
I need some advice in a hurry!! My boss is wanting to clean up some old football helmets to use as trophies. They are extremely used with a lot of deep scratches and gouges, but he wants those to stay for "character." All he needs from me is to make them shiny and to remove the stickers that are on them. I plan on using my rotary and an OTC compound to polish them up a bit and some adhesive remover for the decals & their glue.

Would Megs #105 or Ultimate Compound be a good choice for getting a good shine out of the abused plastic but without removing the "character?" And what is a good product to strip the decals and the adhesives?

natewood70
10-21-2016, 01:48 PM
:postpics:

Pictures would be a huge help... Are the helmets painted on, or just molded material with color already added?

If they're painted on, a rotary with 105 might be a little too aggressive and burn through the paint.

LEDetailing
10-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Hand polish after cleaning off the adhesive residue. Maybe give them a light polish then a glaze.

Don M
10-21-2016, 02:05 PM
:postpics:

Pictures would be a huge help... Are the helmets painted on, or just molded material with color already added?

If they're painted on, a rotary with 105 might be a little too aggressive and burn through the paint.

They are hard colored plastic, no paint. This is one I did by hand in about 5 minutes (no stickers) with a terry towel and Ult Compound ... remember he WANTS the scratches and gouges, all he wants me to do is remove the stickers & adhesive and give them a little shine

natewood70
10-21-2016, 02:11 PM

They are hard colored plastic, no paint. This is one I did by hand in about 5 minutes (no stickers) with a terry towel and Ult Compound ... remember he WANTS the scratches and gouges, all he wants me to do is remove the stickers & adhesive and give them a little shine

Cool. I think a rotary would be fine if doing it by hand it too tedious.

Jowillie
10-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Most used helmets also have the paint or scars from the color of the opponents' helmets. Do you want to preserve those?